https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 684882 times)

Offline Late

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #3540 on: June 13, 2016, 12:41:43 PM »
Heh - draws you right in, doesn't it! Amazing, considering it's really just a series of choices and your choices ultimately make (virtually) no difference to anything.

I don't want to give any spoilers for you... but don't necessarily be discouraged at your results in the epilogue thing (400 days? Something like that).

I don't remember all my choices, but I found this screenie of my results from s1:
http://s31.postimg.org/nsf7147ff/twd_season1.png
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #3541 on: June 13, 2016, 01:48:41 PM »
Ah nice.. you did Season 1 quite a bit different to me..

I did think the whole "Stranger" storyline was a bit pants to be honest.. yesh the dudes crazy.. but I didn't steal anything FFS.. lol  Why wouldn't he go after Duck (because Kenny did steal something) instead of Clem... ah well. I suppose he doesn't know.. but it makes the choice kinda defunct.

I loved the bit where you get to choose to chop your own arm off or not.. fuck it.. I did.. lol.. dunno what happens if you don't though.

Offline Late

« Reply #3542 on: June 13, 2016, 02:38:52 PM »
If memory serves, Lee gets greyer and greyer as the story progresses.

I played the first season twice, and watched it played at least twice by the kids.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline stupac

« Reply #3543 on: June 13, 2016, 08:34:24 PM »
I chopped off my own arm aswell. That was brutal lol.

I'm planning on replaying them both again, especially with season 3 on the way. I played season 2 first as it was free on PS plus and it convinced me to buy the telltale games collection. So I played season 2 twice but season 1 only once, so I'd like to see how more decisions affect the story. The 2 different endings I had in season 2 were massively different which is great as it adds replay value.

Saw the brief reveal of season 3 and I'm pretty excited for it!  :D
Arcadia Bay | FKA The One United

Offline harv

« Reply #3544 on: June 15, 2016, 08:10:50 PM »
Keep on meaning to get The Walking Dead games but haven't got around to it.

I need to stop spending money on my credit card for a few months so that I can get my 1080 GPU though. Luckily Kevin downstairs has just got a job so he'll be able to give me the money he owes me so that'll make things a bit easier.

Have decided to start work on a Day Of The Triffids VR game, just a hobbyist demo type thing with a small level or two. Going to use Unreal Engine 4 for it. Have download the 1962 film, the 1981 telly series and the 2009 mini-series to get inspiration. One of my favourite books and the 1981 has always been one of my favourite series too.

Should be easy enough to model a hospital and car park but will probably have to 'cheat' and download a few free models for cars and stuff. Have got 3DS Max, Maya, Mudbox, ZBrush, Substance Painter and Substance Designer to help with the modelling but my depression is going to make it all difficult to do, who knows...maybe it will be therapeutic..? ;D

Here's my plan:

1) Do a street scene first

2) Use Maya to model houses, walls, fences, hedges, doors, gates, road and pavements

3) Use Maya to animate doors and gates

4) Use Mixamo Fuse to create humans

5) Use Substance Designer for the textures

6) Slap it all together in Unreal Engine lol :P

Going to take me ages but should be fun 8)

Day Of The Triffids was one of the game ideas that I was going to come up with when I was working for Eidos before they told me I couldn't go anywhere near a design job without a Design Degree. Fuckers. >:(

I'm also planning to do a ripoff er...game inspired by Paradroid, loved that game when I was a kid. I started work on the design document years ago at Eidos for the game for the Wii but binned it when they said they wouldn't even look at the thing without said Degree. And of course despite not having that degree I designed the same control scheme that Metroid Prime Corruption and Medal Of Honour Heroes had for pointer controls before they released.

You don't need a Design Degree to design games, you just need common sense and enough experience playing games that you know what works and what doesn't. Going by the amount of awful design decisions I've seen during my years working in the industry getting a video game design degree is about as useful as a chocolate teapot lol ;D ;D ;D

"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline harv

« Reply #3545 on: June 18, 2016, 03:07:47 PM »
Major supply issues with the 1080 so far and it's not going to get sorted out until late July or early August. Hopefully the prices will come down a bit by then because the price of these things are REALLY taking the piss, especially over here in the UK and Europe. >:(

They're also not overclocking that well either, everyone was expecting them to overclock to 2.1GHz once the AIB cards started to appear with their custom coolers but unless you've won the silicon lottery they're averaging 2.05GHz. :-\
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Late

« Reply #3546 on: June 18, 2016, 11:14:57 PM »
You're hoping there's a price drop while the product is in short supply?

Blimey. Economics isn't your strong point, is it!  ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #3547 on: June 19, 2016, 01:28:07 AM »
Whoops, I meant to say that I'll be able to afford to get one in August before this part:

Hopefully the prices will come down a bit by then because the price of these things are REALLY taking the piss, especially over here in the UK and Europe.

Serves me right for multitasking lol :-[ ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :-[

Offline jman

« Reply #3548 on: June 19, 2016, 04:46:28 PM »
Oh wow, xcom is a bit fucking cool isn't it... Am loving it!

Offline Late

« Reply #3549 on: June 19, 2016, 10:07:32 PM »
Hell yeah. I'm currently around 90% of the way through xcom 2.

I can't help but abuse the save system, though. I save every couple of minutes, and reload if something goes pear-shaped, and I'm embarrassed by that.  :-[

Loved xcom the first time round, back in the early 90s (and I've always said it's predecessors "Rebelstar" and "Laser Squad" are my favourite games ever), and Firaxis have done a great job of updating the franchise.

Offline jman

« Reply #3550 on: June 20, 2016, 03:25:26 PM »
To be fair, I thought I would enjoy it.. a turn based game from Firaxis... whats not to like!  Plus I enjoyed (in part) some of Massive Chalice which was free a while ago on Xbox - which uses pretty much the exact same gameplay.

No cheating so far from me.. I've still got some Day 1 soldiers left - I can see how it can get very frustrating though although I am trying to be quite cautious.. its quite easy to kill the aliens if you set your formations up to flank properly... although nothings more annoying that having 80+ chance to hit on your last move to kill an alien who could kill one of your soldiers and then missing.

Offline jman

« Reply #3551 on: June 27, 2016, 08:50:56 AM »
I restarted my XCOM game LOL... now I know why you save a lot Late... I got to a bit on the first game.. and I'd obviously been racing through the story too fast because my whole squad just got completely obliterated.. and I didn't understand the satellite system very well.. so I had lost a few countries.. restarted it.. and doing much better as I'm taking my time doing the story bits...plus I've got plenty of satellites in reserve...  I'm saving on 5 different files (although not every mission)  just in case I do get to a point and realise I've completely fucked something up

Offline harv

Offline jman

« Reply #3553 on: July 05, 2016, 09:14:09 AM »
Huh?  What has ?

Offline harv

« Reply #3554 on: July 05, 2016, 11:26:32 AM »
Click the link ;)

Too many people came :o ;D :P