https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Wii U pricing  (Read 51198 times)

Offline harv

Re: Wii U pricing
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2012, 11:38:25 AM »
Bloody hell, 10% discount on digitally distributed games for 2 years is a great deal. Particularly when you consider that the U is likely to be the go-to place for indie developers. The quality of games on the 3DS eShop is excellent and bodes well for the U eShop.

As for the on-board flash, 8GB is plenty for the casual gamer and 32GB is plenty for the enthusiast gamer to begin with. And unlike Microsoft you're not forced to spend over the odds for a proprietary hard drive. Even if you don't want a USB hard drive you can just spend 20 quid on a 32GB SDHC card. Hardly a big deal ::)

I'm more interested in hearing more about the OS, Accomplishments and Miiverse though, the latter has the potential to be huge. :o

Edit: There's a second Nintendo Direct in Japan at the same time as the UK and US ones, interesting that they had to split the Japanese one in two, must mean a huge software blowout in the East although most of those titles won't see a release over here in the West.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 11:45:12 AM by harv »
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Late

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2012, 11:49:57 AM »
Bloody hell, 10% discount on digitally distributed games for 2 years is a great deal.
Really? Maybe I've misunderstood, but faced with buying a game on disk for about £40 or buying it digitally online for about £40 I've always thought that's a complete no-brainer. Even with 10% discount it's not a viable option as (a) you can probably get a physical copy for cheaper if you look around, and (b) you can sell the physical one a fortnight later and get half your money back.
As I say, maybe I'm missing something there.

...unlike Microsoft you're not forced to spend over the odds for a proprietary hard drive.
You're aware you can use cloud storage or flash drives on the xbox these days?

Can't believe you're calling Microsoft on using their proprietary hard drives (which I agree were definitely a rip off) whilst defending Nintendo for charging £50 for a paint job and an extra 24gb of memory!
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2012, 12:19:02 PM »
Not all games bought in the eShop are going to be retail games costing 40 quid. There's going to be plenty of quality titles cheaper than that from indie developers, and I really can't understand how you can say that a 10% discount over 2 years without the need for a subscription is in any way a bad thing. I doubt that it's going to include DLC unfortunately though.

And flash drives on the 360..? You're limited to 2 x 16GB maximum and they're more expensive and slower than SDHC cards as far as I remember.

Have also noticed that we're finally seeing a platform holder selling an HD console with an HDMI cable included. :o Really wasn't expecting that.

Just double checked, flash drives are cheaper but slower ;)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 12:22:34 PM by harv »
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline jman

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2012, 12:34:03 PM »
You'd have to spend £500 in 2 years on digital games to get back that £50 extra you paid for the premium bundle...  :-\  Its better than nothing.. but you have to pay for it... cant say it would sway my decision if I were to buy a wii U. 

Do you know much about digital distribution though.. had to ask because you think 32GB is large enough for a gamer.. Trine 2 and both GTA DLC will set you back about 5gig for example.. thats 1/6 of your hard-drive space on just 3 pieces of DLC.... I take it, not many people will be installing games to their hard-drives either.

And the U wont be the "go-to" place for indie developers.. your mad if you think they will... they are too strict with their SDKs and microsoft aren't... bloody hell, even I downloaded microsofts SDK... the free stuff that nintendo are giving away.. they aren't giving that away to every man and his dog before you start... sorry but on the premise that WiiWare was absolutely shit.. and nintendo obviously arent pushing digital distribution as a major thing with their tiny storage systems... I cant see it being this major developer attraction you talk about.

And since you know the 360 can use any external hard-drive or usb flash device... you know you were talking shit about the whole proprietary thing.. you can only use 2x16GB at any ONE time.. but you can use as many flash devices as you want in total though!  And the Wii U doesnt even support USB 3.0.. its supposed to be next gen  :o
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 12:36:16 PM by jman »

Offline Late

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2012, 02:40:10 PM »
Not all games bought in the eShop are going to be retail games costing 40 quid. There's going to be plenty of quality titles cheaper than that from indie developers, and I really can't understand how you can say that a 10% discount over 2 years without the need for a subscription is in any way a bad thing.
There's no subscription but you need to spend an extra fifty quid up front?
Um. Let me think about it...
No thanks.
I buy a lot of indie and arcade games online on the 360. Probably dozens of them a year. Adds up to a lot of hard drive space and not much cash, truth be told. Would I want to save 10%? Yes, of course I would. I'd be nice to have that £5 or so in my pocket. Worth paying an extra fifty quid for? Not a chance.

And flash drives on the 360..? You're limited to 2 x 16GB maximum and they're more expensive and slower than SDHC cards as far as I remember.
Just double checked, flash drives are cheaper but slower ;)
What's SDHC cards got to do with anything, and why do you have the impression they're better than flash drives?
And have you really just boasted you could get a 32gb card for the U, then criticised the 360 for only taking 2x16gb?

To all intents and purposes SDHC and flash are the same price and the same speed. There's different classes and speeds of both, of course, but in terms of accessing your game they're probably all about the same speed to a console - and most will be faster than accessing a disk. Which is why large amounts of storage is important if you're bothered about speed. Are you bothered about speed? You seem to be bringing it up as an important factor, here, but the difference for a console reading data from a dvd, a flash drive, a hard drive or an SDHC card is likely insignificant.
I generally don't install games to my hard drive, on the 360. It's an option on pretty much every game, and it speeds access up a bit, but unless you're going to be playing a game for months who can be arsed with spending a few minutes installing a game just so it saves a few seconds here and there.

Even without installing games to HDD, though, I found my old 60gb drive was always full. These days 100gb is an absolute minimum when it comes to console hard drives, and more realistically you want at least 250gb. (That wouldn't be very forward thinking, though - it'd fill way too quickly.)

No, as I originally said, whether you buy an 8gb model or a 32gb model effectively makes no difference. Either way you're going to need to plug an external HDD in.

Have also noticed that we're finally seeing a platform holder selling an HD console with an HDMI cable included. :o Really wasn't expecting that.
I didn't realise that. Wow! I nearly spuffed in my pants at that news. Definite system seller!

Oh yeah - just realised. I've got 6 in use and 3 spares in a drawer. Eight of those cost less than a quid each. The other one's a more niche cable (having a right angled connector) so I paid £2.07 for it...  ::)
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline Late

« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2012, 03:09:08 PM »
I seem to recall the Wii didn't include Wii Sports when it was released in Japan, but did over here, so there's still a remote possibility the European version of the U might include a game.
Called it.
Nintendoland included in the Premium pack...

Available in Europe BEFORE Japan? Never called that...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 03:10:48 PM by Late »

Offline Late

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2012, 03:43:37 PM »
Did they mention price?
I watched almost the full thing but must've missed that - if it was mentioned.

Offline jman

« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2012, 03:49:35 PM »
The basic pack also doesnt come with a wii sensor bar... so if you buy the basic pack, you have to buy the special accessories pack which includes a sensor bar to play on the wii with a wiimote - this is just stupid and may confuse some people before they buy.

So basically, the basic pack is really only for people who already own the wii - and dont want it in black, nor a free game, nor the extra gig in the hard-drive.

The premium pack is their main SKU.. if it does come in at £279.99 (they havent mentioned price yet) - I think they are gonna have real problems shifting it.

Offline Late

« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2012, 04:14:09 PM »
I think you can pick up sensor bars for about 2 quid on the 'bay.

Launch Dates:
States 18 Nov
Europe 30 Nov
Japan 8 Dec

RRP, following today's press announcements:
Basic (white 8gb):

States $299.99 (approx £185)
Europe unconfirmed
Japan ¥26,250 (approx £210)

Premium (black 32gb):
States $349.99 (approx £217)
Europe unconfirmed
Japan ¥31,500 (approx £252)

amazon.co.uk briefly put the white back on their site at £199.99 this afternoon, but quickly removed it again.

White includes console, gamepad, 2 chargers (one each for console and gamepad) and hdmi cable.
Black includes the above plus stands for console and gamepad, membership to a reward scheme (pretty much 10% discount on digital games), and Nintendoland game (but not in Japan, strangely), and extra internal memory (but neither 8gb nor 32gb will be enough for most folk - you're going to need an external drive, realistically).

On the face of it, it looks like Japan's getting screwed. Which is bloody strange.

Offline harv

« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2012, 04:23:14 PM »
The extra 50 quid (assuming it is that much) also includes the following not included with the Basic SKU -

Wii U Console Stand
Wii U Gamepad Charging Dock
Wii U Gamepad Stand

Sounds pretty good to me.

And regarding the indie developers there are three reasons why the U eShop is going to attract them - Nintendo are taking a much smaller cut, Nintendo are reducing the restrictions that developers are faced with when developing for Live and PSN and Nintendo are including tens of thousands of pounds worth of middleware with each dev kit. Just because you've downloaded the XBLA SDK doesn't make you an indie developer, it just makes you a geek living in your Mum's basement with no social life :P I'm talking about professional indie developers, not amateurs ;)

Started typing this a while ago and watched the US Nintendo Direct so no idea on the price of the SKUs. Saw that ShopTo have the Premium SKU for £279.99 and that the price includes NintendoLand which isn't bad, a little more than I was expecting but still reasonable for a next gen console.

Talk about Thursdayton lol, Monster Hunter Unite early next year is huge news :o Am definitely getting that, I love that franchise. Looks like Nintendo are just missing an exclusive Final Fantasy title to complete the set, the U is going to sell gangbusters in Japan with Dragon Quest X on the way as well.

Tried watching the UK one but their site is struggling at the moment lol. Can't see the telly, DVR and film integration being much interest to me personally but I'm sure it will be popular with people that don't download or watch streams of stuff they want to watch
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 04:28:14 PM by harv »

Offline Late

« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2012, 04:46:04 PM »
Tried watching the UK one but their site is struggling at the moment lol. Can't see the telly, DVR and film integration being much interest to me personally but I'm sure it will be popular with people that don't download or watch streams of stuff they want to watch

UK one worked fine for me.
I don't think there was any mention of media options other than gaming. Pretty sure they never mentioned films or DVR use.

Offline harv

« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2012, 05:39:24 PM »
Have watched it now, was my internet connection having a funny five minutes I think lol. It's a bit weird, you had several bits in each that aren't mentioned in the other. No mention of TVii in Europe, although that may be down to region-specific TV channels and services and the EU confirmed that the U has 2GB of RAM which puts it equal to the lowest target specs of the PS4 which is good.

The TVii thing allows you to record and watch stuff on and from your TiVo device and store profiles for different family members, also includes other services like Netflix. Won't be going anywhere near it myself though.

The Wonderful 101 is looking good too but I'm really going to have to spread out my spending though, there's way too many games on my must-buy list. :o

Edit: Looks like we're going to get bugger all as far as the TVii goes unless we hear any different. Shouldn't have expected anything really though considering Microsoft shaft us without any lubricant as far as Live goes over here. It's a completely different kettle of fish altogether in the States, they get a great deal of value from it over there, all we get is online play pretty much. I won't be renewing my subscription next year, apart from online multiplayer the only thing I've got out of Live is the Mars landing.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 06:23:08 PM by harv »

Offline harv

« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2012, 07:18:37 PM »
Holy crap, the controller's more expensive than the console.

I'm definitely out. If we'd been looking at the bundle being less than £180 (including a tablet) and additional tablets being less than £50 then I would've had a decision to make. The additional tablet would be necessary because nobody wants the kids fighting over who gets the tablet and who gets the wand. Like I say, I'd then have to make a decision. That £200-£225 price bracket would've been more than I wanted to spend but it would be doable if the kids wanted it.

If they're looking at around £350, though, they're having a laugh.

UK prices still to be confirmed, of course, but they ain't going to be cheaper than a direct yen to sterling conversion. They're going to be more expensive.

Average so far is £250 (modal, not mean) for the Premium SKU. Not bad considering what's under the hood, the BOM for the GamePad, the 10% discount, extra storage, the accessories and NintendoLand bundled with it.

Am going to wait for the ZombiU bundles to appear I think.

You'll probably see supermarkets doing slightly better deals than that too closer to launch I reckon.

Edit: Nobody has a Scooby Doo wtf is going on now lol. Prices were £199.99 for the Basic SKU and £249.99 for the Premium but Amazon has gone a bit mental...they keep on putting the prices up :o
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 07:59:00 PM by harv »

Offline Late

« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2012, 08:03:21 PM »
£250 average for premium?!

Where are you getting that? That seems more the average for the basic sku...

Offline harv

« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2012, 08:41:22 PM »
It was at first, then everyone started putting their prices up. Simply Games still have it at £249.99 but there's no order button last I looked. Very strange though, you'd expect a few cock ups here and there at the start when the Nintendo Directs were going on but not this late in the day. :o

Amazon went bloomin insane, their prices changed every few seconds at one point lol.

Just have to wait until things settle down I guess :)