https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Your Favourite Part Of Christmas Dinner..?  (Read 2207 times)

Offline harv

Your Favourite Part Of Christmas Dinner..?
« on: December 22, 2013, 05:43:04 PM »
Spent Christmas with a friend and her sister a few years back and had a vegetarian Christmas dinner...the most bland Christmas dinner I've ever had the misfortune to eat lol. :o ;D

So what's your favourite part..? For me it has to be pigs in blankets, or as I've always called them since I was a kid - sausage and bacon thingies lol :P I could eat those by the truckload.

So what about you lot..? You can also include any dessert if you want. 8)
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Late

Re: Your Favourite Part Of Christmas Dinner..?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 06:27:51 PM »
Sausages wrapped in bacon for me too.
Also mini sausage rolls, still hot from the oven, but that's a boxing day thing.

autocorrect
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 10:02:40 AM by Late »
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 06:48:18 PM »
An ex-girlfriend's mum used to make amazing home made sausgage rolls at Christmas, pork and apple ones.

They were so good that it was even worth delaying dumping her until after Christmas and splashing out on a present to have some of those sausage rolls. They weren't quite good enough to justify putting up with her any longer than that, and I was never going to be invited back for the next Christmas  ;D.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline harv

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 11:33:49 PM »
There was a butcher in the village when I was a kid that did pork and apple burgers. Best burgers I've ever tasted. They did another combo flavour too but I can't remember what it was. I also haven't had proper Toad In The Hole since I was a kid, you always get sausages in the thing when you buy it from a supermarket but my Mum always did it from sausage meat with herbs in it and it was lovely. Kind of like Cumberland sausage meat...so you basically had big sausage meatballs surrounded by Yorkshire Pud. Lovely ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 11:39:08 PM »
You've just given me an idea. Waitrose do a lovely range of sausages, and also for some of them sell packs of the sausage meat. I may well have to do a toad in the hole soon.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline harv

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 12:33:20 AM »
I love Toad In The Hole because it's made up from 2 of my favourite foods. When I was a kid we had Yorkshire Puds with every roast on a Sunday.

Offline jman

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 08:50:35 AM »
I was trying to explain to an American the other day what toad in the hole was.. she seemed quite perplexed by the whole idea of it, she came up later (drunk) and asked me how to make that "frog in a basket" again.. lol... she'd also never had a Yorkshire pudding... damn yanks.. we have Yorkshires with every roast dinner - I love putting the meat, stuffing, gravy and veg inside the Yorkshire and creating a little treat.

For me the best part of Christmas Dinner is the turkey.. I always have a whole leg to myself  ;D

Haven't been to my mums for Christmas for a while now, but going this year and she makes the best trifle for dessert.. I'm bringing a 6 month aged homemade Christmas pud with me though, she hates it, so never does one, but I love the Christmas pud!!

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 12:19:30 PM »
. we have Yorkshires with every roast dinner - I love putting the meat, stuffing, gravy and veg inside the Yorkshire and creating a little treat.

Definitely.

You can even have Yorkshire pud for dessert. Either with Jam, maple syrup (after all, it's pretty much pancake mix). Versatile and very tasty.

Offline Late

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 12:26:13 PM »
I do love my Yorkshire Puds, but I have them most Sundays with a roast (and occasionally through the week) so they're not so much an xmas treat.
We have toad-in-the-hole about once a month. Have never heard of having it with meatballs/patties instead of sausages.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline larry

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 06:49:52 AM »
Roast spuds for me, have to be done in goose fat though! mmmmm

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 02:53:23 PM »
Urrrgh, goose fat, or any kind of fat like that, turns my stomach.

Boil the spuds first, almost to the point of becoming mash but still firm, a little bit of oil and some sea salt. Roast up lovely and crispy, with a nice fluffy centre.

Offline harv

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 03:20:08 PM »
Bollocks to that, I've got frozen ones in my freezer. Won't be anywhere near as good but a hell of a lot less hassle lol