https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 681111 times)

Offline jman

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #1110 on: November 19, 2012, 07:52:50 AM »
A review is a review at the end of the day... you make of it as you want.... I'd be a tad concerned that more than one has highlighted clunky controls, muddy graphics and no depth whatsoever though... Edge are usually reliable reviewers.. but a 7 is still a 7.. an average - good game... funny how it highlights the scarce ammo situation in their review, they make it sound like a bad feature.. not sure I'd be happy playing an FPS with mostly just melee weapons.

Offline harv

« Reply #1111 on: November 19, 2012, 08:35:14 AM »
But it isn't an FPS, it's a survival horror game mostly in first person perspective. The worst thing about all this is that Capcom are noticing these mixed reviews and are unlikely to make a proper Resident Evil game as a result :'(
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline jman

« Reply #1112 on: November 19, 2012, 10:42:01 AM »
If you give a first person perspective game guns.. then its classified as an FPS Im afraid.. I'd even classify Condemned as a FPS even though the gunplay is severely limited (even more so than ZombiU) but edge gave condemned a 6 and I absolutely loved it, one of the best launch games on the 360 IMO.. the combat was brilliant in condemned even if it did just have mostly melee weapons - it doesnt sound from the reviews that the combat mechanic is that good in ZombiU though - I'd probably still buy ZombiU at launch if I was buying a U.. but it doesnt sound as good as it could of been..

I just read the GS review and that has totally trashed the game... lol at the fan-boys getting nerd-rage over it though!!

Offline harv

« Reply #1113 on: November 19, 2012, 12:48:05 PM »
I can't blame them though, a score of 4.5 is ridiculous. Any game getting a score that low should be nearly unplayable. :-\

Have just seen on Gaf that the U upscales Wii games which is a pleasant surprise :o

Shame all mine are copies lol, although if that's the case I may be tempted to get hold of Xenoblade Chronicles cheap, the game is pretty stunning, even in 480p. Gawd knows how they managed to squeeze that much out of that little white box :o ;D

Edit: Have just been reading the Black Ops 2 U thread on Gaf, apparently you can play with one player using the telly and one player using the touchscreen online as well as offline, framerate takes a little hit though. Wasn't expecting that, quite a nice feature for those that want it. Some performance issues here and there though, should get a patch during this next week I reckon. Probably rushed out the door. Arkham City and Ninja Gaiden 3 also have performance issues too.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 01:40:32 PM by harv »
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline jman

« Reply #1114 on: November 19, 2012, 03:40:22 PM »
I heard theres a 5GB firmware update that needs to be downloaded straight out of the box and can take between 1-4 hours... bad news for the basic owners - they will literally have no hard-drive space at all lol...

Offline harv

« Reply #1115 on: November 19, 2012, 06:17:07 PM »
It's 4.2 I think, they're left with 3GB which leads me to think that my swapspace theory might be correct. Won't be useful to developers needing fast access RAM but will be a potential gamechanger for open world games if true :o

4GB is waaaaay too big for an OS footprint so there must be something else going on that we don't know about.

Edit: I thought this was pretty cool ;D ;D ;D

Another Edit: This Giant Bomb Quick Look video has been responsible for a few purchases of ZombiU, have only watched the first minute or so because I don't want any spoilers but I really like the newspaper articles on the touchscreen and the inventory and stuff being handwritten, great art direction imo
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 07:39:05 PM by harv »

Offline Late

« Reply #1116 on: November 19, 2012, 09:22:17 PM »
Sounding more and more like a lame duck this console, isn't it. :(  Too late to cancel your preorder, or you gonna stick with it and pray?
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #1117 on: November 19, 2012, 10:14:41 PM »
I'm going to stick with it and enjoy it mate. Hands-on reports from people in the States are glowing so far for ZombiU. And I've just read that the Gamespot reviewer has got something fundamentally wrong in the text of his review. He claims that all you need to do is lure a single zombie away from the pack, bash them with the bat a few times and rinse and repeat to complete the game. This is wrong, and makes me think that the reviewer in question didn't even complete the game. :-\ :o

Later on in the game you get zombies that spit at you from a distance (which takes off around a fifth of your health and buggers up your vision, meaning you'll find it difficult to use your bat on the zombies close to you). You also get zombies with explosives that blow up when you hit them.

I guess it is possible to complete the game with just the cricket bat but you're probably going to have deaths in triple figures if you don't use the other weapons and some sort of strategy to do so.

I wonder if he actually finished it or not..? :-\

As far as the framerates in some of the other games goes that's what patches are for :P Most of these games have been rushed for launch, you'll see PS4 and 720 games having framerate issues on launch day too. ;)

Offline Late

« Reply #1118 on: November 19, 2012, 11:56:18 PM »
If they decide to port a game that's over a year old to the nextbox/ps4 and have about a year to do so then I'd be bloody surprised if it wasn't flawless at launch.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #1119 on: November 20, 2012, 12:42:50 AM »
Not necessarily mate, not when development is hectic due to constant SDK and hardware revisions, the majority of the work being done on unfinished dev kits and developers are getting the hang of a completely new architecture.

Although that last one won't be a problem with the PS4 and 720 thanks to the U being the first console with said different architecture. But those other two problems will still be faced by developers.

Looks like Ubisoft Montpellier saw reviewers not 'getting it' coming ;D ;D ;D

I love easter eggs like that lol ;D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 02:47:24 AM by harv »

Offline Late

« Reply #1120 on: November 20, 2012, 02:40:01 AM »
For anyone who can't get the broken code/link to work, it's a zombie u secret message that reads "Heads up we forgot to include the most important part of the game..."

Blops 2 prestiged once, already. Definitely a personal record, that. Usually takes me around 5-8 weeks per prestige, but that took one week. The double xp weekend played a big part of course.

Offline harv

« Reply #1121 on: November 20, 2012, 02:51:58 AM »
Fixed lol. User feedback says different. ;D

People are really raving about how tense and scary this game is. Could end up being a huge hit despite the mixed reviews. The 30th can't come soon enough for me, this is sounding like the best survival horror game in donkeys years :o 8)

Lol, now they're taunting us lololol ;D ;D ;D

I'm planning on beating Survivor Mode with crosshairs turned off 8)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 02:56:13 AM by harv »

Offline jman

« Reply #1122 on: November 20, 2012, 08:27:27 AM »
Why would you need crosshairs when you have to go round with a cricket bat for 90% of the time anyway ? lol  ;D

Edit : Wow just seen a huge list of Wii U issues already - not good for nintendo.. considering you always wait for GOTY editions on games and slimline editions on consoles harv.. Im suprised your going to go ahead and pay top price for a console that has so many launch day issues.. you must be desperate!

Edit, Edit : Wow.. the RAM issue seems to be annoying a load of tech-nerds too  ;D.. seems like a teardown has indicated that the Wii U tech is actually not all that, apart from the GPU, everything is on par or worse than what current gen consoles have..  :-\ ;D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 09:05:52 AM by jman »

Offline harv

« Reply #1123 on: November 20, 2012, 09:21:14 AM »
You shouldn't worry about the RAM. We' ve known for a while that it's using DDR3, and it's quite likely that the PS4 and 720 will be using the same unless the density of GDDR5 doubles before they release.

The eDRAM on-die will prevent any bottlenecking issues, as Shin'en have already pointed out there's very little latency with the RAM.

The framerate issues will be down to the U having a completely new architecture, a patch or two should sort that out.

Offline styles

« Reply #1124 on: November 20, 2012, 09:46:39 AM »
Back into skyrim the last few days. Love it. Think i will upgrade to fibre optic bb and get black ops
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.