https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: E3 2012  (Read 18139 times)

Offline AVFCRoss

Re: E3 2012
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2012, 11:07:14 PM »
It's not suprising at all, Harv.

For as long as Nintendo put their first party titles first, third party developers will stay away.

Do you really think they want to take this risk of having their games over-shadowed by Mario and company and the droves of first party titles Nintendo have made a name off for 20+ years?

Whose gonna play CoD on the Wii U? The online infrastructure is awful and they wouldn't get the fanbase to justify such a big budget. Not to mention the fact they'll be in a market where they have to compete with umpteen different Nintendo first party franchises...

It also throws out the speculation about the U being a big competitior next gen aswell. If the U was powerful as people are saying, you'd have seen third party games there like Far Cry 3, or even had Nintendo show off one of their first party games that would actually show the consoles power.

Offline jman

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2012, 11:20:07 PM »
Lol, sounds exactly what I was expecting anyway, no western developer in their right mind going for the Wii u. I can't really catch up on the news much at the moment but each conference sounded like it went how I expected

Offline harv

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2012, 12:51:11 AM »
We don't know enough about the online infrastructure yet, but the Nintendo Direct before E3 showed a great deal of promise. Usernames, friend lists, voice chat, video chat, Accomplishments and all under a very robust social network with Miiverse. Several advantages over both PSN and Live in fact. Watch the pre-E3 Nintendo Direct I linked to on the first page, it's quite impressive.

Perhaps the likes of Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor Warfighter amongst others will be delayed until next year. :-\

Nintendo appear to have only included launch and launch window titles at E3 so we may have more announced later on this year.

But like I've already said a publisher is guaranteed to sell over 1m units with a launch or launch window title so I'm really surprised we haven't had more announced.

Edit: A hands-on report from IGN of ZombiU. Sounding bloomin good, glad to see that we're finally getting a proper survival horror game. Haven't had a decent one in years, they all tend to have too much ammo these days so am glad to see a developer doing things right as far as that goes. I remember the good old days with the likes of the first Resident Evil giving you a gun and just a handful of bullets leaving you in the position of not being able to miss a shot lol.

Quite like the idea of a one bite kill and the unique game mechanic of switching protagonists when one dies leaving you to have to find and kill your zombiefied former self to get your supplies back. Add to that the top-down Zombie Master type multiplayer and I think Ubisoft could be onto a real winner here. I'm definitely getting it on launch day. Just got to remember to upgrade my Scanner lololol :P

Another Edit: Another hands-on from Kotaku here. Sounding bloody great!!! :o
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 09:22:27 AM by harv »
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Late

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2012, 12:41:23 PM »
Didn't get the time to watch the presentations as they happened, this year (and cba to after - I've just read reports), but here's my impressions...

Hardware
The U hardware details still seem patchy despite all their pressers etc., but apparently it'll now support 2 tablets - but will drop from 60 to 30 fps if you do so. Meh. As I've said all along,  if it only supports one tablet and other players without the tablet aren't at a disadvantage then the tablet's an unnecessary gimmick. If it supports more than one it's expensive. Either way it's screwed.
And the battery doesn't sound too clever to me, with 4 hours play but 3 hours to recharge (which can be done simultaneously, but would be similar to playing with a wired controller. I'd hoped those days were long gone).
No news from MS or Sony on their next consoles - no real surprise there, though we were all secretly hoping for something from them. (Sony seem to be dropping hints that their next console will be rather costly, though - so there's a good chance we're looking at similar situation to the current gen, with the Sony being premium, the MS cutting a few corners and being a bit cheaper, and the Ninty being the wacky but essentially crap budget option.)
Tablet/phone integration into console gaming and media has been on the cards for a while, and tbh I'm not terribly excited by the prospect. It looks to me like the U, where you're getting a normal game with a few gimmicky things tacked on. Switching your attention from the tv to a mobile device means you're not giving the game your full attention and it's less immersive. It's only advantage over the U would be that the tablets are more clearly an optional extra device and are a device you probably already have and can use for other stuff more realistically than you might the U controller.
There are a few exceptions, of course. Playing an Aliens game (Colonial Marines is still looking awesome) with the action on the tv but a motion scanner in your hands or tacked onto a light-gun would be all kinds of awesome. Imagine playing the game, being properly spooked as you know the xenomorphs are nearby, then hearing the familiar beep coming from the motion scanner - you're left in a position where you want to tear your eyes away from the tv but daren't. "Tacked onto a lightgun" could also be pretty fantastic as a scope on a rifle.
On the whole, though, I see separate screens as a pointless alternative to just pressing a button to make something happen onscreen instead.

Software
I'll skip past the stuff we already knew about (Tomb Raider's looking great, but has QTE's - which I detest, Sim City's looking good, Halo/Gears/COD all look good but predictable...), and focus on the few new bits.
Nintendo games pretty much all looked uninspiring. On the U there's lots of party/mini games, lots of Mario, lots of yawns. The zombie game looks okay, but in amongst all the mediocrity that makes it stand out. Lego City looks good, but not groundbreaking. As seems to be the case with a lot of U games, it seems they make a game then add some gimmicky shite to make the controller tablet look useful, but it's clearly tatt added on. A prime example was demo'd with Arkham City.
It all seems very quiet on the 3DS front.
PS1 games (including FF) coming to Vita is great news, and should boost sales significantly - though I'm not tempted myself. I've a hankering to play FF7 and 8 again, but I want HD remakes on my plasma telly rather than ports to a handheld.
Watch Dogs looks absolutely beautiful and has an intriguing premise - nice surprise that one. Beyond, too, looks beautiful (though I'd been hoping for something sci-fi after the "Kara" demo a month or two back).
And then of course there's any number of dance games. Oh joy. :|
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2012, 05:34:54 PM »
On the 3DS side of things Castlevania 3DS looks awesome, Luigi's Mansion looks awesome, Epic Mickey Power of Illusion looks awesome, Paper Mario looks awesome, NSMB 2 looks meh (but that's only because I despise Mario lol), Kingdom Hearts should keep fans very happy but not a fan of it myself, Scribblenaughts Unlimited looks awesome, Rabbids Rumble looks awesome, Lego Batman 2 looks awesome and Heroes of Ruin looks awesome.

More Pokemon stuff, Black 2 and White 2 and a Pokemon Pokedex Pro. Licence to print money :o

Can't believe how much the 3DS has been transformed since its launch and launch window. There was a Dragon Quest game released last week in Japan and the 3DS sold over 500K in a week lol.

I still can't believe that Sony haven't had any system selling software for the Vita yet, my prediction of a 70/30 split is looking remarkably generous. I thought that Sony might announce some more system selling stuff than they did. The gulf in quality between the 3DS and Vita software this year alone is ridiculous :o :(

And late, the third party offerings for the U are looking pretty good, good use of the touchscreen and some nice looking games. Arkham City is looking like the definitive version, ZombiU is looking fantastic and Aliens Colonial Marines will be the definitive version. A NSMB game, Pikmin 3 and Lego City Undercover (surprisingly the only first party title to show next gen quality graphics, although to be fair NSMB U isn't far off) from Nintendo all look good.

I'm still pretty disappointed overall by the Nintendo showing because they pulled the games from Retro and EAD Tokyo at the last minute but we should see something of those in September when they announce the release date and price. They also concentrated on launch and launch window titles rather than giving us a glimpse into the future like they did in 2006. I think they also should have had Aliens Colonial Marines, Darksiders 2 and Assassins Creed 3 on stage too.

Still, the launch lineup is looking pretty good overall 8)

Definitely got plenty to spend my gambling spoils on ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline jman

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2012, 08:54:01 AM »
Just read that Pikmin 3 wont have any online multiplayer at all... apparently it was too difficult to accomplish... this doesn't sound good for the nintendo network at all,  in fact, were any details uncovered at E3 about nintendos online masterplan??  Pikmin would of been the most IDEAL game to have online multiplayer... as it doesnt.. the game will have very limited replayability.. like the others in the series... and it will suck.. like the others..

No news on the network, no news on pricing, no news on release date... what happened to this information "blow out" we were going to get.. from what I've seen and the rumours Ive heard, I cant see the system selling well at all at launch.. do you want to make any predictions before it launchs harv in terms of sales figures.. so we can all laugh at you when your completely and utterly wrong ??  ;D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 08:56:49 AM by jman »

Offline harv

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2012, 10:02:31 AM »
It's got the first 2D Mario game as a launch title, NintendoLand and ZombiU as killer apps and a decent launch and launch window lineup. It'll sell fine. Should sell anywhere between 10 and 15m units in its first year imo.

And it's going to have a steady stream of Nintendo evergreen AAA titles as well as third party support next gen now that they've decided to opt for a decent GPU. The U isn't going to suffer from the same problem that the Wii has had this gen, it's going to have a GPU sharing the same rendering pipeline so it won't have any problems getting big name third party titles next gen.

Offline jman

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2012, 02:20:32 PM »
2D Mario - looks boring and uninspired.. its no SMG2 is it..
Pikmin 3 - looks boring and wont last very long
ZombiU - looks OK, some dodgy uses of the gimmicky controller.. but wont appeal to core demography
Nintendoland - doesn't look as engaging/appealing as Wii Sports.. and does anyone care about party games anymore, they are last gen wii games that people got bored off are they not??

Sorry but they are not killer titles nor system sellers, is the launch lineup the best you've ever seen?... thats what you said about the 3DS and all the games turned out to be a load of old pony  ;D  ;D

Offline Late

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2012, 03:50:08 PM »
2D Mario - looks boring and uninspired.. its no SMG2 is it..
Pikmin 3 - looks boring and wont last very long
ZombiU - looks OK, some dodgy uses of the gimmicky controller.. but wont appeal to core demography
Nintendoland - doesn't look as engaging/appealing as Wii Sports.. and does anyone care about party games anymore, they are last gen wii games that people got bored off are they not??

Sorry but they are not killer titles nor system sellers, is the launch lineup the best you've ever seen?... thats what you said about the 3DS and all the games turned out to be a load of old pony  ;D  ;D
My feelings exactly. All filler, no killer.
Software side is duff. Hardware side is becoming increasingly duff. Innards on a par with last gen consoles, and they're now saying the console can technically support 2 tablets but it might be a few years before we see games supporting that. The tablet controller's looking more gimmicky all the time. Shame, because I really wanted the U to be good, but it's shaping up to be more of the same.  :(
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2012, 04:05:13 PM »
Whether NSMB U looks boring or uninspired is immaterial, it's a system seller. And it looks pretty nice too:

Lego City Undercover is also looking fantastic and will also be a system seller.

All hands-on reports of NintendoLand have been glowing as have ZombiU. I personally think that the latter is the true killer app. Four system sellers there imo.

And have a look at the rest of the launch and launch window titles that have been announced - the definitive versions of Assassin's Creed 3, Arkham Asylum, Aliens Colonial Marines, FIFA and Madden thanks to the U GamePad, Wii Fit U, Just Dance 4 with exclusive content, Rayman Legends as an exclusive from a big name franchise and Rabbids Land which will always sell well.

Looks like a great launch lineup compared to the launch lineups of the PS3 and 360. 8)

You seem to have this odd anti-Nintendo thing going on which is pretty strange imo. The console is looking great so far, and with the latest news of the GPGPU the console will also do fine with handling next gen engines too.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 05:23:59 PM by harv »

Offline Late

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2012, 05:45:41 PM »
Lego City Undercover is also looking fantastic and will also be a system seller.
Does indeed look great. It ain't a system seller though.

All hands-on reports of NintendoLand have been glowing as have ZombiU. I personally think that the latter is the true killer app. Four system sellers there imo.
Two reasonable games, there - definitely not system sellers.

And have a look at the rest of the launch and launch window titles that have been announced - the definitive versions of Assassin's Creed 3, Arkham Asylum, Aliens Colonial Marines, FIFA and Madden thanks to the U GamePad, Wii Fit U, Just Dance 4 with exclusive content, Rayman Legends as an exclusive from a big name franchise and Rabbids Land which will always sell well.
Definitive editions according to who?
Nobody but fanboys will be interested in playing Arkham City (I assume you mean City, rather than Asylum) on the U. It's already an old game now. Wait another six months and add on some half-baked extras? No thanks. It's a similar story with most of those games. None of them is likely to be any better than the 360 or ps3 versions. The polygons will be the same. The textures will be the same. The numbers of players will likely be the same. The only difference between the U version and the other versions will be the controller - which is full of bluff and bluster but bringing nothing to the table.

Looks like a great launch lineup compared to the launch lineups of the PS3 and 360. 8)
There's some reasonable titles there, yes. But if they're no better than their ps3/360 versions then it doesn't matter how good the line-up is. Who's going to buy a new console to play versions of games they can play on consoles they already own? Bearing in mind the new console's version won't be better than your current console's version. And there's a recession.

You seem to have this odd anti-Nintendo thing going on which is pretty strange imo. The console is looking great so far, and with the latest news of the GPGPU the console will also do fine with handling next gen engines too.
You seem to have this extremely odd pro-Nintendo thing going on, which is utterly bizarre imo. The hardware is looking weak, the software is looking current gen, hardware rumours are nothing but rumours until confirmed, and it's abundantly apparent the console will be the runt of the next gen litter.

btw Thanks for the big image. I needed to eat up some of my phone's 3g allowance... :\

Offline AVFCRoss

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2012, 05:47:22 PM »

Yeah, I'll stick to the PS3.

Offline AVFCRoss

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2012, 05:51:58 PM »
None of them is likely to be any better than the 360 or ps3 versions. The polygons will be the same. The textures will be the same. The numbers of players will likely be the same. The only difference between the U version and the other versions will be the controller - which is full of bluff and bluster but bringing nothing to the table.

Don't forget the online functionality too. Games like FIFA are a massive deal online, and people aren't gonna touch the U's online with a barge pole (unless it somehow proves to be better than Live AND PSN, which I seriously doubt, especially given how piss poor the Wii's online is...).

Even if it does offer a solid online offering, it still won't attract a big enough fanbase because everyone else will be playing FIFA on the Xbox/PS anyway.

Offline harv

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2012, 07:58:05 PM »
Definitive versions according to the developers. Having a great big map on the controller and being able to set waypoints on the fly is a major advantage for Assassin's Creed 3 for example. Having the Bat Computer in the palm of your hands, a new and exclusive fighting mechanic and all DLC included for Arkham Asylum. Aliens Colonial Marines being a step above both the PS3 and 360 SKUs in terms of eye candy, and again, having the motion detector in the palm of your hands. Ninja Gaiden 3 not only including all DLC but also fixing the problems that the PS3 and 360 SKUs had as well as having dismemberment and extra gore.

As for the online, they've worked with third parties to get that sorted. That pre-E3 Nintendo Direct shows that they're getting things right. Miiverse is going to be bloody huge.

Offline Late

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2012, 08:46:33 PM »
Having the dlc included doesn't mean the game is better than the versions on other consoles.
Aliens won't use the controller as motion detector.
Having the map on your controller instead of your tv adds nothing.