https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Wii U pricing  (Read 48941 times)

Offline Late

Re: Wii U pricing
« Reply #150 on: November 01, 2013, 12:10:13 AM »
Sony and Microsoft [will] be sold out quicker than you can blink leaving the Wii U as an attractive alternative that's cheaper and actually available to buy.

All the fit birds are taken. It's the end of the night, and I'm drunk. I'll settle for that 3/10 I've been avoiding all night. Any hole's a goal...

No, Harv, the Wii U isn't an attractive alternative.

What sort of Xmas shopper is going to go looking for a next gen console, find they're out of stock, and go "Oh well, not to worry - I'll get a last gen machine instead. But not one of those last gen machines that's got hundreds of good games. No, I'll buy the updated version of that console I bought a few years back then didn't play..."?

Edit: damned autocorrect
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 10:27:59 AM by Late »
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #151 on: November 01, 2013, 01:51:50 AM »
Most gamers we're talking about will already own a PS3 and/or 360. It's all in the software available at the end of the day. The launch lineups are pretty weak for the PS4 and One (by several people's admission in the Video Games thread) and the Wii U already has several exclusives, most available at a bargain price, and more on the way before Christmas and next year that will attract people looking for a new console:

NSMB U
NSL U
ZombiU
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Lego City Undercover
The Wonderful 101
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
Wind Waker HD
Wii Sports Club
Wii Fit U
Super Mario 3D World

And the following next year:

Yarn Yoshi
SMT x Fire Emblem
X
Bayonetta 2
Mario Kart 8
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
SSBU

Donkey Kong and Mario Kart 8 will continue sales momentum after Christmas and SSBU will sell an absolute shitload of consoles before Christmas next year, and you've got to remember that the PS4 and One will go into their own sales slumps after Christmas as well as both going through their own obligatory software droughts that every single video games console ever released has suffered from. It's going to take years for the PS4 and One to catch up and overtake the sales of the Wii U, and the 3m+ sales this Christmas will ensure that the Wii U will get third party support going into next year.

Just cast your mind back to the 360. It had a 5.5m head start and it's not that long since the PS3 overtook it. Nintendo, love them or hate them, have the biggest stable of system selling IPs in the business. All they have to do is throw out another Mario game and that's money in the bank. We'll see that with Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8 and SSBU.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Late

« Reply #152 on: November 01, 2013, 10:28:57 AM »
You've switched tack again. Your argument was that the Wii U will do well because of supply issues for the ps4 and the xb1, but now you're arguing it's going to do better because of it's games?

No matter - I'm happy to analyse both scenarios. Boring day at work...

Going with your "supply constraints" argument (and I'm not convinced there will be any, since you can still order both machines for launch day):

I have two consoles set up on my tv. A 360 and a wii. The 360 gets played almost every day. The wii has been turned on about three times in the last three years.

If I hadn't already preordered, and I went out to buy a new ps4 or xb1 in November or December only to find there's none anywhere - and I won't be able to get either until around February, I think it's safe to say I have three options at that point...
a) Just wait - stick with what I have for now, and keep an eye out for a next gen console;
b) Buy a Wii U, and look at the next gen consoles in a few months' time; or
c) Buy a Playstation 3, and look at the next gen consoles in a few months' time.

Despite the fact the U has finally got a couple of decent games, of those three options buying a Wii U is definitely the least attractive.
I'd be torn between sticking with what I have, and keeping an eye out for stock of a decent console, or buying a ps3 - which is slightly cheaper than the U but has a much better catalogue.
In a toss up between ZombiU, MH3, Lego City, Wonderful 101 (so great you included it twice); and Hard Rain, Uncharted, Infamous, LBP, Journey, and Last of Us the ps3 beats the wii U hands down - with the added benefit of it being cheaper for the console, cheaper for the games, and I'd probably get a ps+ subscription and enjoy loads of other games for free.
It's similar for people with a 360. They'd be better off getting a 360 than getting a U.

Ignoring your "supply constraints" argument:
In a toss up between the Wii U or a next gen machine, the three options all have a lack of quality games available in 2013. Each has a small handful. The Wii U certainly has more games - though not many considering how long it's been out. As to whether it has better games - well that's subjective. I can see that one going either way. Clearly you'd argue the Wii U has the better games, and most other people would argue the opposite, but that's largely brand loyalty. (Don't bother telling us about the fantastic games catalogue you now have. Nobody's interested in Mario bums Pikmin Hunter 3.)
The 2013 line-up is pretty even - but 2013 is nearly finished, and we're forward looking people, so lets look to 2014 and beyond. 2014's games lineup for the various consoles isn't going to be as even. It's going to be a succession of quality games for the ps4 and xb1 all year, and a small handful of half-decent games for the Wii U. 2015 onwards, the Wii U will be getting one or two half-decent games a year, and the other consoles will be getting several of them every month.
Conclusion - any attraction the Wii U has (there's not much for most folk) fades into insignificance when you look at it's future.

Either way you look at it, the Wii U is a bad purchase.

It's like you're arguing the merits of HD-DVD over Blu-ray, here.
We all know it's got it's plus points, and films for it are cheap (if you can find them), but it's a dead format. Yes, you could get a player and two dozen films for a fraction of the cost of buying a blu-ray and a handful of films - but any decent films that come out in the next 5-10 years will be on BD and won't be on HD-DVD. It has no future.
And that was despite the HD-DVD actually being a technologically superior machine to the Blu-ray.

The Wii U is in a similar position to HD-DVD - except it's the technologically massively inferior machine...
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #153 on: November 01, 2013, 11:05:03 AM »
Well we'll have to wait and see who's right, but I'm quite confident. ;)
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline jman

« Reply #154 on: November 01, 2013, 11:17:38 AM »
I was thinking along the same lines in regards to the limited amount of machines that will be available prior to xmas..

Most gamers we're talking about will already own a PS3 and/or 360.

This is what will hurt the Wii U prospective sales..  anyone that already owns one of those systems has already had a year to buy a Wii U - and they haven't.. in fact its the opposite, the 360 and PS3 have been raping the Wii U in sales since it was released.  More people want to play on the 360/PS3 than they do the Wii U - its a fact reflected in sales.. I think its quite sensible to suggest that the majority of people that don't buy an X1/PS4 at launch, will just continue on with their 360/PS3.  I'd even go as far to suggest that the Wii U could track lower in sales than the 360 and PS3 again this Christmas - which would be astonishingly bad.

Offline harv

« Reply #155 on: November 01, 2013, 03:57:37 PM »
It wouldn't be astonishingly bad, this always happens at the start of every generation. You'll have the previous generation consoles outselling the current generation consoles for a while. The only exceptions are the Xbox when the 7th generation startedaand the Wii when the 8th generation started because both Microsoft and Nintendo effectively killed off their previous gen consoles to ensure that their current generation consoles would sell.

What people seem to forget is that the Wii U had a very successful launch, the problem with the console has been the software drought that it suffered from the launch window onwards. It will have sold over 4m by the time the PS4 and One are released, and while those sales should be better it's going to take years for the PS4 and One to catch up, particularly after Wii Sports Club, Super Mario 3D World, Wii Fit U, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart 8 and SSBU are released.

Offline Late

« Reply #156 on: November 01, 2013, 04:41:57 PM »
What you seem to forget is that the Wii U had a year's head start to get it's shit together. It was always known from day one that the ps4 and the xb1 would be following about a year later, even though they hadn't been announced, and that both would blow the U out of the water - so it was imperative that Nintendo make the most of that year's head start. Number one priority: get the console into as many homes as possible in the next twelve months.
They needed to be in a position where, come November 2013, 7 or 8 million people already have the Wii U, and everyone else is faced with a decision - do I buy the Wii U with it's 20-30 AAA titles under it's belt, or do I buy the next gen machines that'll have 2-3 great titles.

They didn't just mess that year's head start up. They fucked it up in quite epic style, by bringing out virtually no games, and by failing to market it at all.

Now they're in the horrendous position of having a console that's only got a handful of good titles, squaring up against two behemoths each with a couple of games and a much rosier future.

Yes, Wii Sports/Fit, and Mario will be fairly popular - but they pale in comparison to The Crew, Titanfall, Dead Rising 3, Infamous, The Division, Witcher 3, Quantum Break, etc...

Offline harv

« Reply #157 on: November 01, 2013, 05:29:40 PM »
I don't disagree with that at all. They have fucked things up early on, but now that they've got their act together in terms of actually releasing first and second party games for it the sales will follow, starting this Christmas shopping season. They'll have a steady stream of first and second party titles releasing for the console from now onwards. And once those hardware sales start rolling in you'll see third party support growing, starting next year.

Offline Late

« Reply #158 on: November 11, 2013, 10:38:40 AM »
Nintendo Wii U 32gb Premium Bundle Including New Super Mario Bros U + New Super Luigi U
£199.99 via Play.com - retailer is ShopTo
Both games are physical, on a single disk.

play.com
hukd

Tis moving toward a reasonable price lately.
(TBH they could drop this package to £150 and I probably wouldn't bite now - but only because I've got the One preordered.)

Offline Late

« Reply #159 on: November 14, 2013, 12:55:43 PM »
Argos, Wii U Premium 32GB Pack (Black) bundle including four games - £249.99
Nintendo Land + Sports Connection + Rabbids Land + NBA 2K13.
Not the greatest collection of games, but it's an option for anyone wanting to give the kids a console with a few games...

hukd
argos (you need to scroll down the page to add the games for free).

Offline Late

« Reply #160 on: February 19, 2014, 04:56:35 PM »
Wii U basic spotted instore in pcworld/currys for £129.91

It's unclear whether it's a nationwide deal or store specific - nor whether many places actually stock it.

hukd

Offline Late

« Reply #161 on: April 24, 2014, 10:31:23 AM »
Nintendo Wii U Premium Zelda Wind Waker Pack £220.00 @ Amazon.co.uk
(Can be had a little cheaper if you're a Flubbit member. I hear £209.)

Amazon
hukd

EDIT:
Now the same price for the Mario Kart 8 bundle, if you'd rather that.
Amazon
hukd

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 03:35:00 PM by Late »

Offline harv

« Reply #162 on: April 24, 2014, 03:20:44 PM »
Wind Waker HD is absolutely gorgeous. One of the best looking current gen titles out there at the moment. Good use of Ambient Occlusion, makes your little ship look like it's made of clay. Great use of the GamePad too.

Offline harv

« Reply #163 on: May 18, 2014, 06:52:27 PM »
HMV are doing Zelda and Lego City bundles for £150 and John Lewis are price matching according to hotukdeals :o

Offline Late

« Reply #164 on: June 19, 2014, 08:53:18 PM »
Wii U Premium with four games for £189.95 at The Game Collection
Batman
Your Fitness
Nintendoland
Game party champions

Not the best group of games, mind...

hukd