https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 681651 times)

Offline Late

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #3060 on: February 13, 2015, 12:20:10 PM »
Downloaded The Escapists on Xbox One.. its been out in beta for a while on PC.. but full release is today.. bit cheaper on PC.. but being on Xbox One is more convenient for me.. so don't mind paying a few quid more..

Looks funny, and it does remind me a bit of Skool Daze.. absolutely.. and I loved that game.. looking forward to playing it this weekend.

Will probably pick that up some time soon. I loved Skool Daze and The Great Escape, back in the day.

Still got a backlog to work through, though, so no rush.
Added Far Cry 4 to my collection this week (a shade under £30 at Amazon - so "free" thanks to the xmas vouchers - cheers mum & dad :D ).
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #3061 on: February 15, 2015, 09:29:41 PM »
The Escapists is a tad frustrating to be honest... and unless you cheat (which I haven't).. the difficulty is rock hard...  I probably wouldn't pay full price knowing what I know now.  It definitely does have a skool daze feel to it.. but just remember, there weren't much to skool daze!

The main problem with the game is not being able to save as and when.. you can only save at the end of each day (provided you go to sleep)... but the thing is, because the game relies on trial and error so much (and this is part of the fun)... if you fuck up.. you get chucked in solitary, all your contraband gets taken away and all your hardwork has vanished.... you soon find out its just easier to load up your previous save instead of doing solitary - but because the best time to escape is at lights out... you load up in the morning and have to plough through a whole days jails sentence of doing the same kind of stuff before you get to try another escape plan... and this is why it takes so fucking long to do anything and the gameplay feels repetitive.

Also what is frustrating is the hints/tips you pay for in each level really don't help much.. lol.  You usually find out what you wanted to know in the prison afterwards.. and by that time, its useless information for that prison.

What pissed me off though is that I spent hours and hours trying to escape in a particular way.. to find out that it wasn't possible to do what I was trying to do... then I accidently stumbled on an easy way to escape the prison and felt like I had completely wasted my time.  This happened on my first prison escape.. and I was expecting the second prison to be a lot harder.. which it was in a way... but I escaped in the same manner as the first prison escape.. which felt cheap again.  I'm not even going to contemplate a different escape route on the third prison if again I can escape in the same manner.. we'll see.

Offline Late

« Reply #3062 on: February 16, 2015, 09:49:43 AM »
I love the Alien films (well the first two, anyway - I prefer to pretend the latter ones didn't happen. Like the Matrix. But I digress. Already. I'm only five words into my post and I've gone off on a tangent for ages. Get some control, Late!) and have tried most of the games that have spawned from the franchise, and they've all been a bit rubbish (though I was in that minority that quite enjoyed AvP) - so I was overjoyed when the latest one, Alien Isolation got very good reviews.

Yet I gave up on it last night - about half-way through. :(
I'm alright at stealth games. I like to explore most games anyway, and I always enjoy finding alternative paths, so a game based on some of my favourite films and with mechanics that I like should be right up my street! It's very tense as you creep around a newly unlocked area of the space station collecting everything you can scavenge (ammo, and parts to make smoke bombs etc.) and checking in at computer terminals etc., whilst constantly checking your motion detector; before scooting into a locker or similar hiding place just as the alien appears. And then you're trying to peek out through the slats to see where it is. It's incredibly tense. You can't see it. Take a peek at the motion scanner. The alien hears the beeps, and kills you. You restart from the last save point (which was only a couple of rooms back, but it took you 20 sodding minutes to get through those couple of rooms). You repeat every step from above. Including the bit where you get killed in the locker you were hiding in. You repeat it all again (collecting all the stuff you can each time, checking the computer terminals again each time) but hide in a different place. Different place but same result. So this time you decide to be a bit less cautious, you don't skirt around the edge of the room in a crouched stance, but instead walk at normal pace through the middle, and you're fine. You walk into the second room, your attention has perhaps slipped a little, you don't notice that tell-tale gloopy mucussy stuff dripping from the overhead vent, you see the alien's tail go through your torso. You restart from the checkpoint. You switch it off and watch tv for a while, having wasted over an hour without really progressing. And when you do make it to that next checkpoint it's pretty much the same thing again. You're in a new area. You explore it. You die repeatedly.

I'm playing on medium/normal difficulty, and I'm a seasoned gamer. I don't know if I'm just being rubbish, if I'm getting old, if I'm so used to games being easy these days that I have a hissy fit when I encounter a little difficulty whilst completely forgetting that games used to be way more unforgiving.
Whatever it is, I give up.

Installed Far Cry 4. Absolutely loving it, so far. I'm not very far into it, but it's so much more intuitive, so much more fun. So much easier.
Is that last part a good thing? I'm not sure. It sure feels like it, though, as I whiz around this war-torn land like the genetically engineered spawn of Rambo, Che Guevara, and John Marston.

Also been enjoying #IDARB (playing local 1v1). Great fun.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #3063 on: February 17, 2015, 11:41:03 AM »
Sounds like something I'd hate..  :o

So, I've found out I can't escape from the third prison in the escapists in the same manner as I finally did in the first two.

I think I'm going to dig my way out.. and it would be a lot easier if I could work out how to use a contraband bag to get my contraband through the detectors.. but like everything in the game.. nothing is really explained to you lol.

Offline Late

« Reply #3064 on: February 17, 2015, 04:01:59 PM »
Dunno if you got a message the other week about the continued support of MCC Late.  Got a free month worth of xbox live added on to my subscription.. presuming this is because of the stupid amount of downtime the online multiplayer had.

Turned out Microsoft sent our lass a 1 months Gold code, and not me. Not sure what that's about. I stuck the code onto my own account, so not a problem. Runs out around August, I think.
Microsoft sent me a code for a month's Gold, because of the MCC downtime this morning.
Sweet. That's two months I've had.
Will have to have a look at the kids' accounts, see if they've had codes, too. ;)

Offline jman

« Reply #3065 on: February 18, 2015, 09:48:53 AM »
Nice.. perhaps its got something to do with profiles that logged into MCC and tried to play multiplayer in the first month or something... pass.

I'm on 311 achievements unlocked for MCC now lol.. 54% through with a total of 2690 out of 5000...

Got a day off work on Friday, had a lot of work on recently and haven't been sleeping great, had colds for the past 2 weeks and soon as I've got rid of them, one of my wisdom teeth starts playing up and had tooth ache all this week... feeling totally flaked out at the moment.. so just gonna chill on Friday, not gonna worry about anything, planning to get a phat pizza and some milkshakes in, and play some god-damn games!!  Probably try and get back into Lego Marvel... pissed off since it lost all my progress but ready to give it another shot soon.

Offline jman

« Reply #3066 on: February 18, 2015, 07:36:06 PM »
Ah FFS.. turned on The Escapists to break out of the 3rd prison, I've got loads of stuff and ready to make my escape.  I didnt want to spend too long on it tonight..the plan was simply to get inside a empty room near the outskirts of the prison, dig about 5 squares to the left and dig up to escape out of the side of the prison.

Waited till dark, had 3 of the best shovels you can get and a wooden frame to hold the tunnel.  I start digging just before Evening Roll Call which gives me around 2 hours in game-time worth of digging before the guards know I'm missing - I should get at least half the tunnel done by then.

So I start digging, I've done 5 spaces, how the fuck do I dig up... took me too long to realise and my plan is rumbled before I get the chance to dig the entire way out.

So I have to resort back to the morning save... fuck waiting all day to mill around the prison waiting for dark to try again, if I check in very briefly to the Morning Roll Call, they don't know I'm missing and I don't need to be back in again until Afternoon Roll Call, I do that and zoom back off to the same room... start digging again.. now there are large boulders in the ground where I had dug before ... WTF ??  Reload.. do the same thing over and over again.. each time, either boulders block my path or I get caught before I can dig the required spaces.  Finally get to 5 spaces and about to dig the very last bit and get caught...  #%*£  !!  Spend another 30 minutes rinsing and repeating... and I finally do it...

... to be greeted with... The guards have noticed your digging habits.. blah blah blah.. you are sent to solitary for the next 3 days... WTF.. I'm outside the prison walls.. I can see myself on the other side of the wall... there are no guards on the screen...

So I'm guessing this is because I escaped during the day... so have to sit through a whole days of prison life just to try again at night... andddd the boulders come back and I run out of energy trying to dig round them and eventually get caught... I mean this could take all fucking day to keep replaying and replaying... its so frustrating.

Edit:
I finally did it at night.. and same thing.. so it looks like you cant escape out of the side of the prison... great!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:57:01 PM by jman »

Offline jman

« Reply #3067 on: February 20, 2015, 05:30:58 PM »
Finally escaped prison 3, I dug a massive tunnel down to the front door of the prison, looks like you cant escape by digging whatsoever...

I changed tact completely and escaped within 3 or 4 days, open world game my arse.. This game is just seriously frustrating!!

Offline Late

« Reply #3068 on: February 21, 2015, 11:20:23 PM »
It's a prison escape game and they've included the mechanics to dig tunnels but you can't escape by digging a tunnel?

Offline jman

« Reply #3069 on: February 22, 2015, 10:21:10 PM »
It would seem so!  Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I don't know but as soon as I emerge from the tunnel I've dug I get caught instantly.  It's perfectly ok if you dig from one area to another but outside the gates - no.

You get very vague hints on how to escape each prison and up until the 3rd prison, I thought of these as suggestions, but it would seem that 3rd prison and beyond, following the hints are mandatory in understanding how to escape as there is only one way.  Looks the same with the 4th prison too...

I am a bit fed up with its slow pace though.. I started playing D4 over the weekend, feels a bit like a phoenix wright game, I got into it a lot more than first impressions, I like the episodic feel but the story is just fucking bonkers and it's not the full game, the ending of episode 2 was just stupid.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 10:23:06 PM by jman »

Offline harv

« Reply #3070 on: February 23, 2015, 12:08:12 AM »
Sounds a bit pants to me :-\

You should buy The Swapper if it's available on Live, it's a great game. All of the models for the game are hand crafted from clay, has a real unique look to it, it's beautiful. It's a puzzle/platformer. You can create clones of yourself and switch control between them if your Swapper beam can contact it. It's awesome, and I don't normally like puzzle games. 8)
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline jman

« Reply #3071 on: February 25, 2015, 07:59:14 AM »
Kinda given up on The Escapists for now... am close to 100%ing D4.. I've finished it once.. just going through it for a second time and mopping up pretty much every other achievement... there's a couple I've missed and a couple of grindy ones.. but nothing that will take forever.

Offline Late

« Reply #3072 on: February 25, 2015, 10:24:50 AM »
Still enjoying Far Cry 4, but it's getting close to becoming a chore. I like the quests but they're rather repetitive. It doesn't help that the game is pretty much the same as FC3, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but it means that repetition is more pronounced. It's not that I've done it 20 times already in this game and have to do it another 10 times. It's more like I've done it 50 times already, including 30 in the previous game, and have to do it another ten times. Fun every time, but definitely in real danger of becoming stale.
As a result I'm only playing for an hour or two each night, instead of my usual 3 or 4. And I don't want to play anything else until this is finished, else I'll probably never put it back in the machine (and I am still enjoying it). So Kinect Sports Rivals, Lords of the Fallen, etc. still haven't gotten a look in.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 11:36:09 AM by Late »

Offline jman

« Reply #3073 on: February 25, 2015, 10:53:01 AM »
Far Cry 4 isn't as good as Far Cry 3.. the storyline is nowhere near as good.. the characters don't have as much depth and whilst there is a quite a bit more content, i.e. elephant riding, grappling.. the gameplay is all too similar.

I gave up going for 100% - mainly because there was no achievement for it, but because I was fucking bored with the game by that point.

Far Cry 2 is the equivalent of Assassins Creed - some broken elements but has all the makings of a great game...
Far Cry 3 is the equivalent of Assassins Creed 2 - a definite improvement on the subsequent game with original ideas and a real enjoyment to play
FC4 is the equivalent of Assassins Creed Brotherhood - some very subtle improvements and changes, but ultimately the same game as the previous instalment.

FC5 better not be the equivalent of Revelations.. I'd struggle to find enough interest to buy it.

Offline Late

« Reply #3074 on: February 25, 2015, 11:37:06 AM »
Good analogy - can't argue with it!