https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: The Films Thread  (Read 201108 times)

Offline Dragontao

Re: The Films Thread
« Reply #180 on: July 31, 2012, 11:17:12 AM »

You do know.. you DON'T have to watch the films... lol.. your almost making out like someones got a gun to your head, forcing you to pay to watch it... I'd personally be super-psyched to know theres 3 films of a franchise I love instead of just the 1... but then I dont have a boner about cinema prices as much as you do...

Well firstly, I don't complain about cinema prices, I have argued against your claim that cinema prices are high because of downloading. You are the one complaining about downloaders raising the price of cinema tickets, which is completely false.

As for the "you do know you don't have to watch it". I'm not sure if you're being naive, antagonistic or stupid (or a combination of the three).

They do this knowing full well that people will want to watch it. Especially fans of the genre and the books (even if the fans of the books will gripe about the fact the LotR trilogy was as much Pratchett as Tolkien grrrr ). Now we all thought it was going to be two films. Two films are what were planned. They shot it as two films. Now we discover they have decided to shoot more footage to extend it to three films. Anyone who believes that this is anything other than a money making ploy and not an attempt to squeeze more money out of fans is burying their head in the sand.

The argument holds even less water when it comes to DVD releases (as weith CDs) because, yes people want to buy things, but after they've bought them suddenly they find special editions released. Then more special editions. Then box sets with extra features.

The argument can be made that you can wait for the version you want, but there are no release dates for these things. How long do you wait? 6 months, a year, 5 years, 10 years etc. The plain and simple truth is that these gimics target the real fans, not the casual buyer and it is immoral.

You can be an apologist for them all you want, it doesn't make what they do right.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline harv

« Reply #181 on: July 31, 2012, 09:54:31 PM »
I'm still pissed off that you can't buy or even download (as far as I've seen anyway) the original release of Bladerunner anymore with the Philip Marlow-esque voiceover. As a fan of film-noir type detective films the original release of the film was miles better imo. >:(
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline jman

« Reply #182 on: August 01, 2012, 08:12:23 AM »
Well firstly, I don't complain about cinema prices, I have argued against your claim that cinema prices are high because of downloading. You are the one complaining about downloaders raising the price of cinema tickets, which is completely false.

No I have said downloaders have contributed to a rise in cinema prices.. if you can directly link downloaders to a loss in profit at the cinema, then its only fair to attribute some of the rise in price to downloaders too, im fully aware that rises in tax and rent have also affected cinema prices.  I have a decent cinema just down the road from me, they do deals for a £5 on tuesday, orange wednesdays and matinees on a saturday.. plenty of choice for me to go and watch a film whenever I want.. no real complaints here.

As for the "you do know you don't have to watch it". I'm not sure if you're being naive, antagonistic or stupid (or a combination of the three).

Just the 2nd one, although I do find it funny that if your a fan of the series, your complaining about there being 3 films instead of 2.. jackson said, they want to tell more of the story and cant do that with 2 films... like I said, if I was a fan, then I'd be happy about the news.

The argument holds even less water when it comes to DVD releases (as weith CDs) because, yes people want to buy things, but after they've bought them suddenly they find special editions released. Then more special editions. Then box sets with extra features.

The argument can be made that you can wait for the version you want, but there are no release dates for these things. How long do you wait? 6 months, a year, 5 years, 10 years etc. The plain and simple truth is that these gimics target the real fans, not the casual buyer and it is immoral.

You can be an apologist for them all you want, it doesn't make what they do right.

Whose apologising... not me lol.. I just dont see the big deal your making.. yes dvd boxsets and such are a pain when they release more films in a franchise.. but the solution your suggesting is to release less films.. LOL...just imagine that, the bond producers have come out and said they are not making any more bond films.. because its messing everyones dvd boxsets up!! (antagonistic again)  ;)

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #183 on: August 02, 2012, 01:11:37 AM »
Hey, antagonism is great, you know I love a good argument lol.  :P
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline AVFCRoss

« Reply #184 on: August 02, 2012, 02:13:12 AM »
DVD's are such a waste of time, imo, and theres definitely no way I'd buy a massive box set of anything...If I want to watch a series of TV or a trilogy of films I've already seen, then I'll just download them, burn them onto a disc or something and there you have it, I've got them at any time i want to the tune of zlich  ;D

(God, I sound like Harv...)

Offline harv

« Reply #185 on: August 02, 2012, 02:15:55 AM »
Hey, antagonism is great, you know I love a good argument lol.  :P

No you don't! ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline jman

« Reply #186 on: August 02, 2012, 01:13:19 PM »
So nobodys interested in owning the Harry Potter Wizards Box Set then.. 31 discs.. and a snippet at £180!!

think its safe to say there wont be any more Harry Potter films made in the future to make the box set obsolete though ;)

Offline jman

« Reply #187 on: August 02, 2012, 01:19:55 PM »
DVD's are such a waste of time, imo, and theres definitely no way I'd buy a massive box set of anything...If I want to watch a series of TV or a trilogy of films I've already seen, then I'll just download them, burn them onto a disc or something and there you have it, I've got them at any time i want to the tune of zlich  ;D

(God, I sound like Harv...)

Why dont you do that with video games then.. play a demo.. then if you like it, download it illegally and play it for nothing ???   Just curious why you think its acceptable to do it for one entertainment media and not the other??

If its the difficulty of pirating video games.. or the lack of torrents for video games.. doesnt that quite clearly show that cutting out options to potential downloaders and making it harder to pirate stuff is beneficial to the industry ??

Offline Late

« Reply #188 on: August 02, 2012, 02:06:28 PM »
So nobodys interested in owning the Harry Potter Wizards Box Set then.. 31 discs.. and a snippet at £180!!
Holy crap!
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #189 on: August 03, 2012, 01:43:47 AM »

think its safe to say there wont be any more Harry Potter films made in the future to make the box set obsolete though ;)

JK Rowling has not ruled out writing more Harry Potter, just wait until her subsequent books fail to be as much of a success and if there is enough "demand".   

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #190 on: August 03, 2012, 01:49:46 AM »

If its the difficulty of pirating video games.. or the lack of torrents for video games.. doesnt that quite clearly show that cutting out options to potential downloaders and making it harder to pirate stuff is beneficial to the industry ??

I don't really play video games so not something that interests me greatly, but there are plenty of torrents for computer games, you just need to know where to look. Less Playstation games as torrents in general though because the majority of people who use torrents are more into PCs.

The problem also tends not to be the copying of the games or cracking the copy protection, it's getting the gaming platforms to play the pirated copies and it's the hardware not the copied games themselves that creates the problem for pirates. Not so much of an issue with PC games as blocking such content is much harder and there are more ways around it. 

Offline Late

« Reply #191 on: August 03, 2012, 08:59:11 AM »

JK Rowling has not ruled out writing more Harry Potter, just wait until her subsequent books fail to be as much of a success and if there is enough "demand".

I think she ruled out Harry Potter - but didn't dismiss the possibility of revisiting that world in the future. If that were the case I think keeping any future films separate to your Harry Potter ones would be fine - and I don't think we'd be seeing anything before blu-ray is superseded anyway :P
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #192 on: August 03, 2012, 02:18:52 PM »
The problem also tends not to be the copying of the games or cracking the copy protection, it's getting the gaming platforms to play the pirated copies and it's the hardware not the copied games themselves that creates the problem for pirates. Not so much of an issue with PC games as blocking such content is much harder and there are more ways around it. 

PC gaming died a long time ago though because of that very reason..  piracy helped kill it off... some companies wont even make PC games or create PC ports anymore for the fear of losing money because pc games are so easy to pirate... and as soon as companies start putting DRM into their PC games in an attempt to protect profits, their game gets targeted even more by pirates.. its ridiculous... and your trying to convince me that piracy as a whole is good for an industry, really?  ::)

In regards to console gaming.. if you have any interest in IT whatsoever, its pretty easy to find and follow guides all over the internet that take you in a step by step process in how to flash your firmware on your dvd drive to play backed up games...it might take a short while to do so and you'll probably have to spend some money on stuff in the process.. so in that regard, yes you have to do more than just download a file and find something to play it on... however once you have done it.. thats it.. you just download and burn the games you want to play... just ask harv how easy it is....  the DS didnt need any hardware changes for it to play backed up roms.. The PSP is probably the most hacked console/handheld of all time and that required flashing the firmware... so I dont really share your views on the hardware being the only thing that stops people hacking games...

What you will find that does differ from video game and movie pirates is that your typical video game pirate usually does hold a big interest in the video game industry and will contribute to it even if they download....take harv, the biggest knockoff nigel going.. still pays for some video games and has had to pay for his hardware.. I wonder what the last tv boxset he bought was though... ?   ;)

Offline Late

« Reply #193 on: August 03, 2012, 02:54:05 PM »
PC gaming died?!

Offline jman

« Reply #194 on: August 03, 2012, 03:15:17 PM »
As a mainstream platform for gaming.. yes... pc gaming sales were terrible a decade or so ago and its only recently they have started rising again thanks in part to the invention of digital platforms such as steam.... steam is a form of DRM.. which is helping combat pc piracy.. so its to be expected... it taken a few years for people to get used to it.. but everything goes through these digital services nowadays

...console gaming is still streets ahead though  ;)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 03:22:24 PM by jman »