https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 681111 times)

Offline jman

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #1890 on: June 19, 2013, 08:03:49 AM »
Meh.. instead of fun... I just found it stupid though...

Started Dirt : Showdown instead.. and will probably play this for the next week or so now as its pretty good fun... although I don't like what they have done to the series.. still maintain it needs to go back to its Rally roots.. there hasn't been a decent rally game in donkeys years now.. Colin McRae and V-Rally were the nuts back in the day, the latest real rally sim I know of is WRC 3: FIA Rally Championship.. and it got dire reviews  ;D

At least there are some cool destruction derby modes in Dirt : Showdown.. its probably the best DD type game since Destruction Derby on the PS1.. although to be fair there hasn't been many of those games since then... I can only really think of FlatOut.. which was a bit pants.  For £6 or whatever I paid for it new.. its a bargain.. I'm beginning to like the Dirt series as much as (if not more) than the NFS series now to be honest - I've always found I like most Codemasters games... my favourite though - Micro Machines 2 : Turbo Tournament ;D

Offline Late

« Reply #1891 on: June 19, 2013, 09:52:55 AM »
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #1892 on: June 19, 2013, 11:00:38 AM »
Lmfao, awesome lololol ;D ;D ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Late

« Reply #1893 on: June 19, 2013, 12:54:05 PM »
Leaving PS Plus in July:
3rd July: Kingdoms of Amalur – Reckoning
3rd July: Lord of the Rings War in the North
3rd July: The Cave
3rd July: Rayman Origins (Vita)
3rd July: Coconut Dodge (Vita)

Entering PS Plus in July:
3rd July: Battlefield 3
3rd July: Payday: The Heist
3rd July: Saints Row the Third
3rd July: Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus (Vita)
3rd July: Unit 13 (Vita)
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #1894 on: June 20, 2013, 02:21:25 PM »
Finally!!! A month and 7 days after they posted the original I've got my copy of Monster Hunter lol. And it's arrived via Airmail from Hong Kong too so I don't know if the problem was down to this bunch being dodgy fuckers or the builders working in the flat before mine stealing my mail. >:( I think the latter myself. :(
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline harv

« Reply #1895 on: June 22, 2013, 02:06:48 AM »
Just finished Arkham City and thought that it was miles better than the first one, although the last boss fight was way too easy. Going to dive into Monster Hunter next, one of my favourite franchises. 8)

Offline harv

« Reply #1896 on: June 23, 2013, 01:18:30 AM »
Both Black Ops 2 and Monster Hunter demonstrate a great use of the touchscreen - having the HUD on a separate screen makes the game much more cinematic. A real shame Sony didn't 'borrow' the idea of having a similar touchscreen on the DS4...having the sort of visuals that the PS4 is capable of without a HUD getting in the way would be truly eye popping :o

Offline Late

« Reply #1897 on: June 23, 2013, 02:44:21 AM »
You've bought black ops 2?
But you don't like cod multiplayer?...

Offline Late

« Reply #1898 on: June 23, 2013, 04:00:43 PM »
Walking Dead (Telltale Games version) new dlc coming soon.
Tides us over between seasons one and two.

Offline harv

« Reply #1899 on: June 23, 2013, 06:23:59 PM »
Yup, bought it at launch. Hopefully we're going to see more games without a HUD on the telly, it's only a minor detail but really does make a huge difference not having health, stamina ammo etc obscuring the eye candy on the screen.

Have now got 9 games for the Wii U:

Black Ops 2
ZombiU
Darksiders 2
Assassin's Creed III
Lego City Undercover
Sonic Racing Transformed
Rabbids Land
Batman Arkham City
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

What's been most impressive for the Wii U so far is the eShop. They've adopted the Steam model and have regular sales offers going on and the amount of indie titles available after such a short time on the market is quite impressive, and there are plenty more on the way too.

Very happy with my Wii U so far, the only disappointing thing so far is that Scribblenauts Unlimited hasn't been released over here yet although I guess that must be a bit of a localisation nightmare lol ;D

Offline Late

« Reply #1900 on: June 23, 2013, 07:17:40 PM »
HUD doesn't obscure visuals to any degree.
It does, on the other hand, give you all the info you need without you looking away from your screen...

Offline harv

« Reply #1901 on: June 23, 2013, 07:25:15 PM »
You have to experience it to appreciate it I think. It makes games more immersive and cinematic, and flicking your gaze down to the touchscreen takes a split second to do unless you have serious motor function problems. Monster Hunter in particular really does benefit from it.

Offline Late

« Reply #1902 on: June 23, 2013, 08:05:16 PM »
You're talking about immersion whilst saying it's better to take half a second to look away from your screen rather than having the info on your screen whenever you want to know how many bullets or grenades you have?
There nothing like looking away from the screen to kill immersion in a game.

Offline harv

« Reply #1903 on: June 23, 2013, 09:31:41 PM »
Makes it more realistic mate. If you were running around with a gun or grenades you'd need to look down to check your ammo. And like I've said it's hardly a big deal. You've got more immersion, more realism and a more cinematic experience. It's such a shame that a console able to produce much better quality IQ isn't going to benefit from this. :(

Offline Late

« Reply #1904 on: June 24, 2013, 12:03:13 PM »
I absolutely agree that in real life you'd have to look down slightly if you needed to check your supplies.
Neither system is going to fully recreate reality, though, so it's just a case of gauging which is closer to the reality of the battlefield.

I'd posit, though, that looking at the bottom corner of your screen and seeing your ammo count, whilst still seeing the scenery of the place you're fighting in is probably more realistic than looking down at a fisherprice toy to see your ammo count, whilst seeing the scenery of a flat in Tottenham and a cat curled up in the lap of a dole-waller sat there in his onesie.*

*I'll concede it slightly depends on whether the locals are rioting, though.