General > Video Games

Arcade Machines

(1/6) > >>

jman:
I dunno how, but a few months ago I convinced my work to buy an arcade machine for the office - it arrived on Wednesday.. its a 750 all-in-one jobby.. think it cost around £1600.. embossed with the company logos etc.  Well it broke down within 10 minutes and keeps blue screening randomly, lol.. think we've got an engineer coming out today to replace the console (Game Elf)... but I've opened the cabinet up and had a look around inside and been inspired.. my missus already said I can't buy an arcade machine outright.. but I'm sure if I built my own one.. it would cost less than half the price of that, so she can go suck on one!

So just been looking around..
2 Player DIY Flat Pack Kit - £150-£200
Jamma Kit - I'd probably want to buy an all-in-one kit, rather than a raspberry pi/retropie.. etc.  Pandoras Box/Game Elf seem to be the most popular - probably set you back between £80-£180 depending on what you want.. I've no problem downloading roms myself and will want to customize what games are on there anyway.
PSU - £30
2 Joysticks - £25
8 Buttons - £30
Speakers & Amp - £30

And that would be most of it done and should only cost between £350-£500 - there will be other optional bits like LED lighting and Vinyls.. but nothing major - but a nice addition to the man-cave!

Anyway, watch this space.. I'm seriously thinking about buying the cabinet either this week or next and then go from there.

harv:
Nice! I'll certainly be keeping my eye on this, very cool!

jman:
I told the missus last night and she just shrugged, so that's a good sign.

I've picked out the cabinet I'm going to buy, bit pricier than my estimate but the wood is thicker and this looks the best quality I've seen.

I'm ordering this and some chrome t-moulding next week!

jman:
Bought the cabinet this morning - its the one in the link before - I used BitcadeUK instead of arcadeworld because there was no shipping cost - it still cost £299.99 though.

Also bought 11 different T-Molding snippets - as I'm really unsure what I want - T-Molding is the trim round the outside of the machine.  I've got 2 greens, purple, red, orange, yellow, 2 blues, chrome, polished brass and leather lol.  Should be enough to make up my mind.  I think either green, blue, polished brass or chrome will win - but we'll see!

Hopefully should get it next week, probably Tuesday I reckon and will take a few pictures - shouldn't take too long to build.

At the moment, I'm slightly leaning towards shoving a retropie inside it - unsure how complicated it would be to set it up with joystick and buttons though - but you should get better emulation on the games compared to the game elfs/pandoras box - we've had our unit fixed at work so I've given a few games a go now - I was playing Double Dragon last week with a mate and it was so laggy and slow as soon as one or two enemies were on screen - it sucked!

Cabinet supports a 27" monitor - I'll have to swap out one of my PC monitors with my spare 20" - but at least that cost is completely negated.

harv:
I used to LOVE Double Dragon in the 80s. The first video game in the arcade where you could pick up weapons as far as I remember.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version