https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: The Films Thread  (Read 201605 times)

Offline Dragontao

Re: The Films Thread
« Reply #165 on: July 22, 2012, 02:00:21 PM »
I think the revelation that Tony Stark developed all of Batman's waepons was more shocking.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline jman

« Reply #166 on: July 23, 2012, 11:07:18 AM »
What you two on about....I already know what happens I said... a man wakes up and the whole batman saga was just a dream... now you've made me ruin it for everyone.. well done.

Offline harv

« Reply #167 on: July 23, 2012, 08:30:33 PM »
Have just started watching Twelve Minkeys again, love this film. Two of my favourite actors, Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt. Brilliant stuff.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline styles

« Reply #168 on: July 23, 2012, 10:47:31 PM »
Must be a new one.
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline harv

« Reply #169 on: July 23, 2012, 10:56:03 PM »
I always call monkeys minkeys thanks to the Pink Panther lol ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline jman

« Reply #170 on: July 24, 2012, 07:59:23 AM »
I watched Case 39 last night.. a psychological horror with Renee Zellweger, Im not one of her biggest fans I have to say, but the film was good overall.. it had some quite creepy moments in it, the child in it reminds me of that Alma bird in the FEAR games!!  Some parts of the film didnt make sense to me though, especially towards the end of the film, it was a case of... "Well why didnt she just do that"... and "why is this happening again??" - the film lacked a bit of purpose... however there were some good elements to the film as well which kept me watching all the way through..

5.5/10

Offline Late

« Reply #171 on: July 25, 2012, 03:38:56 AM »
I watched "[REC]3: Genesis" tonight.

Loved the first film. Thought the second film pretty good (though nowhere near as good as the first). The first two were written and directed by two guys. They decided to then do 3 and 4 separately, with 3 being written/directed by one of them and set in a new location, and 4 being written/directed by the other one and set in the original location just after the end of [REC]2...

Occurring simultaneous to the events in the first two films, the film starts out promisingly enough. It's a wedding, and there are several people recording events (2 guests using handycams, and one official videographer using a professional steadicam), so the format feels similar. But after about 20 or 30 minutes the director decides to ditch the whole camcorder angle completely and make it more of a regular zombie film - which goes against one of the main features of REC not to mention where the title comes from. He's also decided to throw some (very weak) comedy scenes in.
And there's a lot of plot holes (there's a wealth of weapons lying around, that people aren't utilising for some reason).
Seems to be a Marmite-style "love it or hate it" film. Seems to be an awful lot of people hating what's been done here, but also a lot saying it's a breath of fresh air and stopped it becoming stale...

Worth a look if you liked the earlier films. I can't remember how I scored them but it was probably something like 8.5 and 7.0 respectively.
I'll give this one only 3.5/10.

Hopefully the mistakes made in 3 won't necessarily be carried into 4, since it's written/directed by the other guy and set in the original apartment block, but only time will tell.

I've no doubt the bride will appeal to some of you folks, btw.
Personally, I'm undecided. Never did like the corpse bride look, but she carries it off well.

Edit:
Urgh. Just seen it described as a "zom-rom-com". Pretty fair (and clever), tbh.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 03:43:42 AM by Late »
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #172 on: July 25, 2012, 08:04:29 AM »
Meh not in a hurry to watch them, the 2nd one was disappointing in quite a few aspects compared to the 1st.. dont think the story had great legs for a 2nd.. certainly not for a 3rd or 4th..

I did however watch Apollo 18 last night.. it was crap, dont bother.. the whole point in filming in a camcorder style is to give realism and extra suspense to the film, but the film lacks any kind of suspense at all.. apparently the last 10 minutes are supposed to be great, I turned it off half way through, I was bored stiff.. its basically Paranormal Activity .. on the moon.. but with no suspense or scares.  The film had a promising plot.. it was just badly executed.

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #173 on: July 25, 2012, 08:01:22 PM »
Watched the Grey on Monday. Okay film, well shot. Some parts I liked, others were a bit "seen it before". Nothing special really. Glad I didn't see it at the cinema. Won't give away the ending though, which I kind of liked but at the same time you kind of think "well is that it". 
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline jman

« Reply #174 on: July 30, 2012, 11:33:26 AM »
I watched Lockout last night...  it was pretty crap to be honest....

In essence, man gets sent to prison in space where the presidents daughter has been kidnapped...the director has basically gone.. OK, I want Die-Hard in space... but it just fails on all kinds of levels, and the end is just complete and utter bollocks.

Guy Pearce is the main protoganist, so he'd be John McClane - smokes like a chimney, is a good-guy who flouts rules, doesn't care about anyone else apart from himself, has some quite corny lines - so check on everything there..

Prison in space, full of whack-jobs who have taken over the place, have loads of hostages, one man solo team has to go in and rescue presidents daughter.. aided by a black guy on the ground who is the "nice cop"... he consults with the "bad cops" and relays information to him constantly... pretty much check on that too.

And before I go on, it lifts a load more ideas and set-pieces from Die-Hard.... to me, these were the best parts of the film.. I saw the potential of this film based purely on the bits it stole from die-hard...and it could of been a pretty decent action flick... and I really wanted to like it... it was just terrible though.  Theres some seriously dodgy CG at the start of the film and there are a ton of subplots which all fall flat on their face, the story in general is incohesive and the ending is remarkably ridiculous, the "comedy" value to the film is just not funny and the one-liners are so so corny, some of the acting is terrible... the two crazy scottish whack-jobs were excellent though and definitely stand-out of the film for me.

2/10 im afraid  :-\

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #175 on: July 30, 2012, 07:17:14 PM »
The rip off merchants are at it again.

The Hobbit is now going to be a trilogy instead. It was rumoured a few weeks back that this would happen and they were filming extra footage. Supposedly Jackson decided that extra was needed after looking at what he had at the end of the principal shoot.

Of course an extra cinema ticket, extra DVDs and then the special editions and box sets for those of us who actually buy things.

They wonder why people download.  ::)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/19055342

Offline harv

« Reply #176 on: July 30, 2012, 07:29:44 PM »
Lol, I'm just waiting for someone to do a film version of the Wheel of Time novels, will end up being 15 films :o :P

Offline jman

« Reply #177 on: July 31, 2012, 08:08:31 AM »
The rip off merchants are at it again.

The Hobbit is now going to be a trilogy instead. It was rumoured a few weeks back that this would happen and they were filming extra footage. Supposedly Jackson decided that extra was needed after looking at what he had at the end of the principal shoot.

Of course an extra cinema ticket, extra DVDs and then the special editions and box sets for those of us who actually buy things.

They wonder why people download.  ::)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/19055342

You do know.. you DON'T have to watch the films... lol.. your almost making out like someones got a gun to your head, forcing you to pay to watch it... I'd personally be super-psyched to know theres 3 films of a franchise I love instead of just the 1... but then I dont have a boner about cinema prices as much as you do...

But hey, if people want to download the film instead of paying to watch it then thats their choice... blaming external factors like the cinema price or HAVING to buy every dvd release of the film might make them feel better about their choice to illegally download... but at the end of the day, they've downloaded because they want something for nothing... and thats the sole reason everyone downloads

Offline jman

« Reply #178 on: July 31, 2012, 08:36:09 AM »
I watched "Man on a Ledge" last night.. straight forward action/drama film... quite watchable although I was hoping for some twists and turns to the story.. but the film kinda sets everything out on a plate for you early on.... 5/10.

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #179 on: July 31, 2012, 11:04:49 AM »
I watched "[REC]3: Genesis" tonight.

They've got the first two on a buy 2 for £12 blu-ray in Asda at the moment. How good are they?