https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: The Films Thread  (Read 206439 times)

Offline harv

Re: The Films Thread
« Reply #195 on: August 03, 2012, 03:45:48 PM »
The last TV boxset I bought was Podge and Rodge...but only because it was a bargain. ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #196 on: August 04, 2012, 12:06:57 PM »
The problem also tends not to be the copying of the games or cracking the copy protection, it's getting the gaming platforms to play the pirated copies and it's the hardware not the copied games themselves that creates the problem for pirates. Not so much of an issue with PC games as blocking such content is much harder and there are more ways around it. 

PC gaming died a long time ago though because of that very reason..  piracy helped kill it off... some companies wont even make PC games or create PC ports anymore for the fear of losing money because pc games are so easy to pirate... and as soon as companies start putting DRM into their PC games in an attempt to protect profits, their game gets targeted even more by pirates.. its ridiculous... and your trying to convince me that piracy as a whole is good for an industry, really?  ::)

In regards to console gaming.. if you have any interest in IT whatsoever, its pretty easy to find and follow guides all over the internet that take you in a step by step process in how to flash your firmware on your dvd drive to play backed up games...it might take a short while to do so and you'll probably have to spend some money on stuff in the process.. so in that regard, yes you have to do more than just download a file and find something to play it on... however once you have done it.. thats it.. you just download and burn the games you want to play... just ask harv how easy it is....  the DS didnt need any hardware changes for it to play backed up roms.. The PSP is probably the most hacked console/handheld of all time and that required flashing the firmware... so I dont really share your views on the hardware being the only thing that stops people hacking games...

What you will find that does differ from video game and movie pirates is that your typical video game pirate usually does hold a big interest in the video game industry and will contribute to it even if they download....take harv, the biggest knockoff nigel going.. still pays for some video games and has had to pay for his hardware.. I wonder what the last tv boxset he bought was though... ?   ;)

I didn't say that hardware is the ONLY thing that stops people pirating games.

Some forms of PC gaming died but there are some very strong areas of pc gaming. For instance games such as world of warcraft, where the purchase of the game can actually be a loss leader as subscription fees for playing online are what bring the money.

As for online gaming, it has also had an effect on sales with internet gaming getting more and more sophisticated, which has lead to some resurgence in the use of PC's as a gaming platform, though online games have also contributed to a decline in sales.

Some companies didn't stop making games for PCs because of Piracy, it's because their biggest profits come from platforms such as the playstation now, so games are developed for those platforms first and then converted for PCs. A couple of friends (one of was the manager/owner) worked at a company that used to do the PC conversions but it got to the point where the split in sales between PCs and other platforms made it undesirable to bother with the conversions because it was the loss of sales to other platforms as well as to piracy that rendered it an unprofitable excercise.

Video gaming is the one industry where I do believe piracy has had a fairly major impact on sales though. But that's largely because most people will buy less games in a year than CDs/DVDs. Hardcore gamers might buy more. There is also a rental market for games that has hit sales too, plus a huge second hand market. For some reason, people who play games are less fussy about owning the physical product, which a lot of people who download films/music/TV are. A lot of games lose their appeal once they have been played once and don't seem to have the permanence that other forms of entertainment have. Which also fuels the secondhand market. There aren't any where as near as many people who would consider themselves a games collector as, say, those who collect music or have large collections of film and tv.

Most of the major games companies are still doing pretty well for themselves though.

In none of my previous posts where I have been discussing the effects of downloading have I mentioned games. I have focused purely on tv, film and music. Not just games either but software in general, because the prices are so high for many high end software packages.

In truth though, although they do make efforts to stop it, companies such as Microsoft aren't overly worried about home users or in heavy handed policing because they are happy with the fact that somebody using the software at home is more likely to be using it at work and corporate sales is where their income is.

It's why so many of the large companies are more than happy to give massive discounts, or even free software, to educational establishments. Capture their customers early on.

For small software companies it's a bigger problem where their profits are relatively small and they don't have a huge corporate market.

In regards to console gaming.. if you have any interest in IT whatsoever, its pretty easy to find and follow guides all over the internet that take you in a step by step process in how to flash your firmware on your dvd drive to play backed up games

Lots of gamers have limited interest in I.T, you don't need an interest in I.T to play games on a Playstation, XBOX or WII. Some gamers will inveitably be I.T savvy, but by no means all.

I have a friend who makes a very nice living fixing (or in many cases just trying to fix) devices people have tried to flash them unsuccessfuly (and then making more money by flashing them properly for them or chipping devices).

Online games have an effect here. I've known some pretty clued up people have various games hardware blocked by games sites for running copied games. It's mainly the effect on the multiplayer online games I was referring to when I mentioned hardware being responsible and what I meant by things being blocked.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline harv

« Reply #197 on: August 04, 2012, 03:31:41 PM »
You sound like you're suggesting that porting games to PCs is a new thing. It's been going on for years, last gen the PS2 was generally the lead platform, this gen the 360 is generally the lead platform. Next gen we'll probably see the U being the lead platform. You don't even have developers changing the button prompts until the last minute which is really weird the first time you see it lol.

And PC gaming isn't dead by any means, you still get plenty of people buying PC versions of games and most, if not all, big name releases get a PC SKU. And the sales figures for PC games don't include digital distribution through mediums such as Steam and Origin.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Late

« Reply #198 on: August 04, 2012, 06:26:19 PM »
Next gen we'll probably see the U being the lead platform...

I'm not normally one for memes but sometimes it's unavoidable...
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #199 on: August 04, 2012, 06:33:46 PM »
You sound like you're suggesting that porting games to PCs is a new thing. It's been going on for years,

Where did I say it was a new thing? I wasn't suggesting anything of the sort. I was just pointing out reasons why games companies aren't porting so many games anymore and less are ported nowadays becasue it isn't as profitable to do so anymore. There are a lot more dedicated gaming platforms now.

The friends I was talking about were doing this back in the days of the Sega Saturn. Used to be great because they were given consoles by the companies and then games before they were released so they could work on the conversions.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline jman

« Reply #200 on: August 04, 2012, 06:36:06 PM »
LOL... going slightly off tangent with video games talk.. I'll try and steer back onto films..

I watched In Bruges last night.. for the first time... had been putting it off forever, the thought of this film which had Colin Farrell and the synopsis sounded a tad rubbish just didnt sit right with me.. no matter what the review scores... anyway, I watched it and actually thought it was great.. funny, emotional with some great scenes in it.. great stuff.. recommend.. even to the hardened Colin Farrell haters...  8/10

... still not going to watch him ruin Total Recall though  >:(

Offline harv

« Reply #201 on: August 04, 2012, 06:50:12 PM »
It's actually more economically viable for publishers to port a game to as many platforms as possible. It spreads the cost, much cheaper to port a game than to develop for individual platforms from the ground up because due to porting core code of the same build across all platforms most bugs found are shared across all platforms, shortening development and testing time. It's costing Ubisoft less than a million Euros to port the likes of Assassins Creed 3 and Marvel Avengers to the Ufor example, you could probably triple that if they developed the U SKU separately.

Offline Late

« Reply #202 on: August 08, 2012, 02:27:14 PM »
Ordered Mission Impossible 4 Ghost Protocol yesterday. Have seen it a couple of times already (high def download). Happy to fork out £7 to add it to the collection. My scores:
Mission Impossible 1 - 7/10
Mission Impossible 2 - 5/10
Mission Impossible 3 - 4/10
Mission Impossible 4 - 8/10. Possibly 8.5.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #203 on: August 09, 2012, 12:06:23 AM »
Funnily enough I didn't like Ghost Protocol. Simon Pegg irritated me (even more than Tom Cruise).

Offline styles

« Reply #204 on: August 09, 2012, 12:18:05 AM »
The debt.

V good
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline jman

« Reply #205 on: August 09, 2012, 12:35:27 PM »
The mars landing inspired me to watch Contact last night.. great film.. although I did fall asleep towards the end... looking forward to watching the rest tonight..  :D

Offline jman

« Reply #206 on: August 14, 2012, 08:23:37 AM »
Booked me tickets for Expendables 2 for Thursday... 'citing... arnies back!!!  Must watch the first one again tonight!!

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #207 on: August 14, 2012, 10:55:42 AM »
Yep, looking forward to that one.

Offline styles

« Reply #208 on: August 14, 2012, 09:57:37 PM »
Colombiana - 7/10

Not bad
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #209 on: August 15, 2012, 08:55:53 PM »
I personally don't mind Colin Farrell, never going to be a favourite, but even if I loathed him, the lure of Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Biel means I am going to see Total Recall lol.