https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: The Films Thread  (Read 201666 times)

Offline Dragontao

Re: The Films Thread
« Reply #600 on: May 20, 2014, 11:15:57 AM »
I am a geek. Not as geeky as some in my family, but definitely a geek. I.T geek, science geek, I like reading, tv, movies, sci-fi, fantasy, art, comic books, music.

Luckily I also look more like I should be in a book of mugshots so I don't tend to get called a geek too often.

Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline harv

« Reply #601 on: May 20, 2014, 01:40:29 PM »
Lol ;D ;D ;D

I look like a geek cos of my specs but can't have contact lenses due to my diabetes. :(

Need to get my eyes tested soon and get some new ones. The hospital found more problems with my eyes too so may be looking at laser surgery if they don't repair themselves like they did last time. Am crapping myself because it sounds fucking horrible - they put a special contact lense in that stops your eye from closing and then cut into the eyeball before zapping it with the laser. :o :-\ :(

Where's a puking emoticon when you need one..? :( ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline jman

« Reply #602 on: May 20, 2014, 01:49:15 PM »

Offline Late

« Reply #603 on: May 20, 2014, 01:54:24 PM »
Allow me to get back to the subject of films...

Final Destination - laser eye surgery scene:
youtube

;)
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #604 on: May 20, 2014, 03:15:54 PM »

Thanks for that jman lol ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline jman

« Reply #605 on: May 26, 2014, 06:44:11 PM »
Watched xmen today, there's some pigging great big plot-holes the film fails to address, but the film was good and I liked how they mashed up the old and new characters, would recommend, it makes me realise how bad xmen 3 was though

7/10

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #606 on: June 11, 2014, 01:02:41 PM »
Saw the X-men yesterday, the plot holes were caused by the reboot, though I think they did address quite a few of them (probably a bit less of an issue for those of us who've read the comic books). Preview at the end of the credits - looks like it's Apocalypse up next for the X-Men.

Thought it was an excellent film though. 9/10.

Really looking forward to Guaridans of the Galaxy. That is going to be a fun movie.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline jman

« Reply #607 on: June 11, 2014, 02:26:08 PM »
The plot holes mostly came from Xmen 3 -

Prof X dying being one of them.. I saw the after-bits of Xmen 3 - but are we supposed to believe that the guy he transferred too.. looked just like him, and was also confined to a wheelchair?

Same with Magneto losing his powers - again I know what happens at the end of Xmen 3 - he must get his powers back pretty fast.

Also if Mystique was captured in the original timeline (in the 70s) - why is she in the original trilogy ?  And if the humans had been experimenting with the sentinels back then, why would they even bother going to the trouble of looking for the anti-mutagen in Xmen3 ?

It also took me a while to realise that Kitty was the girl who could run through walls in Xmen3 - so this is the same girl who can now teleport people back into the past.. pretty big power to leave out of X3.

I also thought that dude who could run fast.. was a great asset.. yet they decided to not use him further in the film when it was quite clear he would be very handy later on.

Loads of annoying bits.. the film was great, don't get me wrong.. but they create too many impossible plot holes to get themselves out of with every film.

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #608 on: June 12, 2014, 12:11:33 AM »
Quicksilver for you (the guy who can run fast), yeah they could have used him. In the comiocs timeline, he originally became one of the "Brotherhood of Evil Mutants" and was with Magneto, along with his sister "the Scarlet Witch". Both were originally thought to be Magneto's children and he claimed that was the case, but it was found later that they had been saved by him as young children. They've obviously changed quite a bit for the X-Men movies, bearing in mind he was an American kid called Peter in this film.

This was set in late 60's/early 70's, but Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch are both in the next Avengers movie, though being the older Quicksilver he's going to be played by a different actor and listed as Pietro Maximoff, so there's potentially a major issue there.

A lot of those plot holes were because they're trying to align to two series of films, because Frist Class was supposed to be a reboot, but it left them with the problkem of integrating some of the characters from the original movies as most people are quite happy with Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. The problem I can see now is how thye are going to keep McAvoy and Fassbender in their roles because it showed Patrick Stewart as Xavier at the end, so presumably the next film will have him as Xavier. Though with it being Apocalypse, a virtually immortal mutant from ancient Egypt, the story could also span timelines and have both old and new Xavier and Magneto. I still think it's going to be a problem for them.

A lot of what you mention wasn't a plot hole at all. They did try and close a lot of the plot holes, time travel and altering history is always a good tool for that.

The Days of Future past bit altered the timeline somewhat after the first film, so effectively what came to pass in X-Men 2 and Probably the Last Stand (with Prof X and Cyclops popping their clogs, hasn't happened. Days of future past ended where the first X-Men film started. The reason they killed them both off in Last Stand is because Stewart and Marsden both said they didn't want to do the roles anymore. Obviously money talks.

I liked how they integrated the Wolverine memory loss and how he was passed on to the people who gave him his adamantium skeleton eventually.

The Kitty Pryde thing, Shadowcat, is a bit strange. A lot of mutant's powers have evolved over time in the comic books, but I can't remember if this happened or not, or might have happened after I'd stopped reading them. The actual Days of Future Past was quite a long story arc in the comics.

As to the Mystique/Sentinels business. Well the sentinel program has been a recurring theme throughout the X-Men timeline. They'd beaten the sentinels a number of times, with Sentinels becoming more advanced all the time, but sentinels killed mutants, it's only natural that a serum to strip them of their powers would be a preferred option for many.

As to Mystiques capture, that one I'll have a think about, but my biggest issue with that part of the story was the fact that they were integrating her DNA into synthetic lifeforms and, not only that, it enabled those advanced sentinels to mimic the X-Men's powers, something she couldn't do, only shapeshift and her powers have never evolved in that way as far as I'm aware.

Now if it had been Rogue (Anna Paquin) then she could take other mutants powers temporarily, but still integrating something biological like that into a sentinal, well it's hardly surprising they didn't try to explain how they did it.

Going back to Xavier's "death" and Magneto's powers (I've just stuck the DVD on and skipped to the end because I remembered something about this.

The bit at the end of the Last Stand (after the credits) alluded to the fact that Charles Xavier's conscousness at least was still alive. It was a scene in Moira McTaggart's lab. A body in a bed with its face covered says "Hello" Moira", to which she replies "Charles ... " Then the film ends. Which clearly left it open for Xavier to return and for it to be a different actor if necessary.

The very last scene before the end credits of Last Stand showed Magneto moving a chess piece slightly in a park (just after Angel flies over), so his powers were already coming back. Any other mutants who lost their powers probably got theirs back as well. The future scenes were a fair few years after the Last Stand, so he'd had plenty of time for his power to fully re-establish itself. It was never going to be permanent. It also might explain why the sentinel program got restarted.

Oh and just found this on IMDB about Xavier being alive.

In the mid-credits scene of The Wolverine (2013), Xavier is revealed to be alive and kicking in his old wheelchair bound body. With Wolverine wondering how this is possible, Xavier simply responds with "As I told you a long time ago Logan, you're not the only one with gifts".

Although a full explanation is absent from both The Wolverine and X-Men: Days Of Future Past, there are two different theories uttered by the producers of the franchise about how all this is possible. The first is in the dvd commentary for X-Men: The Last Stand, where it is theorized that the brain dead patient was in fact Charles Xavier's identical twin brother. This borther was born without any brain activity due to Charles' overpoweringly strong brain in the womb. The second was given by X-Men: Days Of Future Past screenwriter Simon Kinberg in an interview. He stated that dialogue was written for the 2023 scenes that explained how Xavier's old body was reconstituted by an unnamed mutant to its old and familiar state, allowing Xavier's consciousness to transfer back to its own body. However, the dialogue didn't make the cut as it would clutter the film's already complicated plot with even more explanations.

None of the two theories have been confirmed to be canon, which leaves the answer to this question open to the interpretation of the viewer.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 12:20:29 AM by Dragontao »

Offline jman

« Reply #609 on: June 12, 2014, 01:42:02 PM »
Days of future past ended where the first X-Men film started.

That's quite a head-fuck thinking of it like that.. and not entirely correct because the original trilogy was in "the past" of the timeline of Days of Future.. and because they altered history - the future is now unknown.. so to be a bit nitpicky... the film ends on a completely separate timeline but at the same point Xmen1 happened in the original timeline (from what I can gather).. so it's gone backwards.. and they can create a new future all over again - although this would definitely cause another problem with the next film as McAvoy and FassBender would have to be dropped - because we know what Xavier and Magneto looked like at that point in time.. and they weren't the young versions!

I liked how they integrated the Wolverine memory loss and how he was passed on to the people who gave him his adamantium skeleton eventually.

So did I, I thought his memory loss was due to the adamantium skeleton experiements myself though... plus I also realised that in The Wolverine, his adamantium claws get chopped off at the end of the film - so we wouldn't be seeing any more Wolverine in the future... but in DOFP, set after the events of The Wolverine.. his claws are back when he cuts Kitty  ;D

As to Mystiques capture, that one I'll have a think about, but my biggest issue with that part of the story was the fact that they were integrating her DNA into synthetic lifeforms and, not only that, it enabled those advanced sentinels to mimic the X-Men's powers, something she couldn't do, only shapeshift and her powers have never evolved in that way as far as I'm aware.

All they had to do was mention Darwin (from First Class) as well as Mystique...shapeshifting and adapting to survive.. but.. they killed Darwin off fairly quickly - so no go there I guess.

In the mid-credits scene of The Wolverine (2013), Xavier is revealed to be alive and kicking in his old wheelchair bound body. With Wolverine wondering how this is possible, Xavier simply responds with "As I told you a long time ago Logan, you're not the only one with gifts".

Although a full explanation is absent from both The Wolverine and X-Men: Days Of Future Past, there are two different theories uttered by the producers of the franchise about how all this is possible. The first is in the dvd commentary for X-Men: The Last Stand, where it is theorized that the brain dead patient was in fact Charles Xavier's identical twin brother. This borther was born without any brain activity due to Charles' overpoweringly strong brain in the womb. The second was given by X-Men: Days Of Future Past screenwriter Simon Kinberg in an interview. He stated that dialogue was written for the 2023 scenes that explained how Xavier's old body was reconstituted by an unnamed mutant to its old and familiar state, allowing Xavier's consciousness to transfer back to its own body. However, the dialogue didn't make the cut as it would clutter the film's already complicated plot with even more explanations.

None of the two theories have been confirmed to be canon, which leaves the answer to this question open to the interpretation of the viewer.

lol.. that's utter garbage... a twin brother - that is never mentioned once...

At the end of the day.. 90% of these fuck-ups are from Xmen3 where they closed it off and the first reboot where they opened it all back up..  I don't mind a reboot.. but I'll never accept it as a reboot when you have the same actors/actresses playing the same characters.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 01:46:20 PM by jman »

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #610 on: June 12, 2014, 06:04:50 PM »
Days of future past ended where the first X-Men film started.

That's quite a head-fuck thinking of it like that.. and not entirely correct because the original trilogy was in "the past" of the timeline of Days of Future.. and because they altered history - the future is now unknown.. so to be a bit nitpicky... the film ends on a completely separate timeline but at the same point Xmen1 happened in the original timeline (from what I can gather)..

Not really. Time also acts in mysterious ways, changing something in the past, which is always a big no no anyway in films (until they need to do it for a story) can have minor or catastrophic effects.

That's the beauty (and the cop out) with films involving time travel, because you can write them how you want. Always makes me think of Hurley's conversation with Miles Straum in Lost. Time travel is a headfuck though lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_dH4xOFp9w

so it's gone backwards.. and they can create a new future all over again - although this would definitely cause another problem with the next film as McAvoy and FassBender would have to be dropped - because we know what Xavier and Magneto looked like at that point in time.. and they weren't the young versions!

Well I did say it's a problem for them, but according to the announced cast list for X-Men: Apocalypse, it's McAvoy and Fassbender. Go Figure. Has to take place after First Class and after DoFP because Wolverine is rumoured to be in it. Thoguh that screws with the comics timeline as Apocalypse didn't appear until relatively recently. (late 80's/early 90's if I recall, not the 60's or 70's.

Also, it's going to screw with the Avengers movies as Quicksilver is listed in the next one too, with the same actor who played him in DoFP, which sort of indicates it might be taking place earlier in the X-Men timeline.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3385516/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

So did I, I thought his memory loss was due to the adamantium skeleton experiements myself though... plus I also realised that in The Wolverine, his adamantium claws get chopped off at the end of the film - so we wouldn't be seeing any more Wolverine in the future... but in DOFP, set after the events of The Wolverine.. his claws are back when he cuts Kitty  ;D

Yeah, the trauma of the procedure was originally the cause of his memory loss, but maybe it just exacerbated the effects of the drowning. I've never been happy with that as his healing factor should also heal his brain. He lost his metal in the comic books too, it was actually pulled out of his body by Magneto. He got it back, so they'd have found a way for that to happen in the next Wolverine film anyway or had an explanation for it.

At the end of the day.. 90% of these fuck-ups are from Xmen3 where they closed it off and the first reboot where they opened it all back up..  I don't mind a reboot.. but I'll never accept it as a reboot when you have the same actors/actresses playing the same characters.

You're right, X-Men 3 really messed it up a bit. I think their problem was that if they didn't keep Storm, Wolverine et al, they might have lost the rights to keep using those characters in the films, so they paited themselves into a bit of a corner with their supposed re-boot.

Some of the things weren't plot holes though, and they did a reasonable job of getting out of that corner, but they were left with a bit of paint on the soles of their shoes and a few nasty footprints here or there.

At least they didn't try to tell us X-Men 3 happened in Xavier's head in a dream, Dallas style.

Offline harv

« Reply #611 on: June 16, 2014, 02:17:03 PM »

You can't really see it properly because the colour changing options mess up the image. It's yet another stunning shirt from TeeFury. I'm really going to have to stop buying these things, my flexible friend is feeling the strain :o :-\

Offline Momo

« Reply #612 on: June 29, 2014, 01:14:19 PM »
Brendan Gleeson in CALVARY, watch it .
Very very good.

Offline ancelotti

« Reply #613 on: June 29, 2014, 02:47:47 PM »
Saw X-Men: DOFP recently. Glad to see it's doing well. Was always my favourite Marvel series as a kid. The design of the sentinels was cool but they reminded me a bit of the Destroyer in Thor, mainly because of the beam they shot from where their faces should be.

I bet it felt good for Bryan Singer to basically erase the events of The Last Stand. Just a shame pretty much everything else except First Class got wiped too.  Can we have a proper Phoenix Saga film now?  ;D

Just a few bugbears, would have liked to have seen more of the future as there just wasn't enough Bishop. Secondly, I can't stand bone claws. Of course I know why Wolverine had them but I just hate them! What confused me was that he had them in the future, but how when they got cut off in The Wolverine?  ??? Lastly, why leave Quicksilver behind?  He was awesome! Loved the little easter egg when he was speaking to Magneto...

Then the post-credits scene... En Sabar Nuh.  Probably my favourite villain in the X-Men universe even if he has suffered at the hands of PIS more times than I can remember.

All in all, an excellent watch. 9/10

Other notable films recently watched:

Enemy - I'll watch anything with Jake Gyllenhaal in but this was a bit of a mindfuck. Enjoyable but confusing. 7/10

Her - Bittersweet and thought-provoking. Joaquin Phoenix and Scarlett Johansson are unbelievably good in this. If Oscars were given for voice acting only, I'm certain Miss J would have got one. 8/10

RoboCop - Didn't have the feel of the original at all and couldn't hold a candle to it. A decent action flick in its own right. 6/10

« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 02:49:29 PM by ancelotti »

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #614 on: June 29, 2014, 03:41:48 PM »
Ah a fellow X-Men fan I see.

The whole Quicksilver thing is bizarre, given that they are using him in the Avengers movie too.

Hatw what they are doing with the reboot of the Fantastic Four. Political madness gone mad. The Human Torch is going to be black, as a result the Sue and Johnny Storm's father is now going to be black, to explain it away.

The Nick Fury thing I could understand as they took it from the Ultimates line of comics, but this Human Torch thing. Meh. Why not just introduce the Black Panther as part of the story line if they need a major black character, plus the options for the spin off are there too.

I'll be firmly boycotting that movie.