https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 11210 times)

Offline jman

Re: Cycling
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2015, 07:53:05 AM »
Fitted all my bits quite nicely at the weekend.. brake pads were easy enough to install.. I could really do with a track pump though so I know what tire pressure I have.. think I haven't inflated mine enough.. as got on the bike this morning for the commute to work and could feel the tires slipping a bit

Yeah, Reading council decided to close one of the two bridges that go across the Thames for two weeks starting from today.. 25k cars use that bridge every day.. and 34k use the other bridge.. I use the other bridge anyway.. and I start work quite early.. but it was fucking carnage already this morning... think I'll be cycling to work every day for the next 2 weeks now - last time a bridge was closed, Reading came to an absolute gridlock.

Offline jman

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2015, 11:55:41 AM »
Doing the 35 mile Wokingham bikeathon on Sunday, its an official ride and I haven't had much luck with these yet... hopefully it wont be as bad as the one I did in May lol. 

As its a relatively short distance - I'll be taking things nice and slowly.. although cycling to and from the start/finish line will add another 10 miles onto the journey. So if I start at 9ish, I should be home by about 2ish I reckon.  I've cycled most of the course before.. so know what to expect.. its pretty sedate.

But got the GPX file for my RBL bike ride which is the big one in less than a month...

Damn that looks hilly!!  Well the first 25 miles in should be absolutely fine.. then 20 miles of up and down.. that will be the killer...

Going through the North & South Downs, so was expecting it to be quite hilly..

But this is just the 60mile route as well.. I've got approx. 13-15 miles to cycle just to get to the start line before hand  ;D ;D  Then a long car journey home (probably) and I've got work the next day lol.  I am going on holiday the week after though, so its not too bad.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 11:57:20 AM by jman »

Offline jman

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2015, 01:04:33 PM »
Wokingham Bikeathon downed.. was fairly easy.. 4.5m to the course start and finish so I did about 44 miles in total.  I stopped twice for two 5 minute breaks.. and finished the course in around 2hr, 25mins... worked out at about 14miles per hour.. which I'm quite happy with.  Could of kept going, my bum was feeling a bit sore towards the end and after getting home my legs feel like they've seized up a bit... Knowing that in 3 weeks, I would have another 30 miles to do at that stage is a bit daunting...  :-\

Least it stayed partially sunny today and no injuries this time  :P

Offline jman

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2015, 08:54:57 AM »
Did a nice brisk 22 mile cycle on Saturday.. was my last real chance to get some training done.. as my 75 miler is on Sunday!!!  Haven't felt this nervous about a ride since my London - Brighton trek last year  :-\ ;D    Also hit 800 miles cycled for this year (last 4 months).

Gotta stock up on the old Jelly Babies, Jaffa cakes and cereal bars this week lol.. always laugh that tons of cyclists swear by Jelly Babies.  Its because they are high in GI, and they can give you a quick carb hit to increase energy levels... but hey, I won't be going against their advice...I fooking love Jelly Babies lol... and I always bite their heads off first.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 08:56:38 AM by jman »

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2015, 08:32:50 PM »
The best thing for a quick carb hit is honey.

Can't stand the stuff but always took it before a fight.

The reason it is good is that it requires minimal digestion and gets straight into the blood stream from the gut as it has effectively been pre-digested by bees.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline harv

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2015, 09:55:21 PM »
I'd highly recommend Asda's cheapo Liquorice Allsorts. Just 4 sweets is 20g of carbohydrate, great for bringing me out of hypos.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline jman

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2015, 07:57:14 AM »
Cant stand honey (straight) and would be a pain to carry round with me... and pretty much hate Liquorice Allsorts (the only good ones are the bobbly blue/pink ones)... 8 jelly babies = 42g of carbs (I bought a pack last night).

I took a banana on my previous 60m cycle.. wont be doing that again.. half way through the ride, I opened up my bag and the banana had somehow split and started turning into mush inside my bag  ;D

Bit pissed off, after all this sunny weather we've been getting recently... it looks like its going to be miserable and likely to rain for parts of the day on Sunday... fucking typical..  >:( >:(

Offline Late

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2015, 11:25:06 PM »
Best of luck tomorrow, bud!
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2015, 07:54:46 AM »
Cheers mate.. and thanks again for the donation. :D

Finished it.. and can honestly say it was one of the toughest things I've ever done in my entire life!!

So surprised at the small turnout... there were only 42 people doing it.. I finished 41st of 42... lol.  The guy who finished last was a DNF (I was with him when he gave up).. so whilst I was the last to go past the finish line, I did actually finish it and very proud of myself!  Apparently there was a group of 3-5 people who finished in the 5 minutes prior to me and then about 2 or 3 more in the 5 minutes before them.. so I wasn't too far behind a lot of people.. and I had done an extra 15 miles cycling than everyone else.  My total cycling time was 6hr, 35mins to do 75miles.. think it works out a little over 11mph.. so I'm happy with that to be honest.

My god, the hills.. they absolutely killed me.. I did the first 10% gradient hill... went down the other side to be greeted by another one.. which I also did.  Then there were about 5 or 6 more like that, some of which I had to walk up them because I was totally fucked at that point...even walking up them was a bloody mission!  The last hill was the ride up Portsdown where you got some amazing views of Portsmouth and you could even see the Isle of Widget from there too.. so it was a very picturesque ride.. but you couldn't pay me to do it again.. no fucking way lol.

No punctures, no injuries.. but it did rain non-stop from the start to about an hour away from the finish, only a light drizzle, but enough to make you feel cold and damp though.  In work today, just one more week and then I'm off on holiday.. I need one.. my legs, thighs and hips are absolutely caining today!

Offline harv

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2015, 04:36:42 PM »
The last time I rode a bike was in the late 90s, ended up taking a corner too fast and the person I borrowed the bike from neglected to tell me that the back brakes weren't too clever lol. Had a choice between crashing into a wall or going over the handlebars, choose the latter to avoid broken bones lmfao :o ;D ;D ;D

Just scratched my hands up a bit, nothing serious...probably due to my SAS/Ninja training :P
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Late

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2015, 09:22:14 PM »
The Isle of Widget sounds amazing.

Well done mate! :D
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2015, 02:53:37 PM »
Portsdown Hill.

I know it well. Not actually that far from where I live. About 5 miles.

Congrats on the finish.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.