https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: The Great Christmas Debate  (Read 4474 times)

Offline jman

The Great Christmas Debate
« on: December 17, 2015, 08:48:13 AM »
Me & my missus always have the same old stupid arguments over xmas...  ;D ;D what is your stance on these things..

Mince Pies
Puff Pastry vs Shortcrust Pastry

Chocolate
Quality Street vs Roses

Turkey
Leg Meat vs Breast Meat

Present Opening
Before Breakfast vs After Breakfast

I'm very much in the Puff Pastry/Quality Street/Leg Meat/Before Breakfast stance...

Offline harv

Re: The Great Christmas Debate
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 04:38:58 PM »
No idea what the difference is, whichever one you get in the supermarket ones cos that's the same ones my Mum makes, Quality Street, breast meat, stuff from Father Christmas before breakfast and stuff from family after breakfast.

Best thing about Christmas is the Chocolate Log. Asda are doing a Belgian chocolate one for 3 quid and it's fucking amazing.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Late

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 12:51:04 AM »
(WTF happened to this forum's skin? It's like late eighties AOL have taken control!)

Mince Pies - I prefer a puff pastry, though they're generally messier.

Chocs - Quality Street every time. Roses have some dark chocolates, and I don't like dark chocolate. Fave QS is the toffee deluxe.

Turkey - breast. Tastier, and easier to eat with a knife and fork.

Present Opening - mainly before breakfast.

Best Xmas food - "pigs in blankets". You can have them any time, natch, but we only get them at Christmas, and we all love them (more accurately, the kids and I love them, and the missus quite likes them).
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 08:28:41 AM »
Good call on the pigs in blankets... easily the best thing about xmas dinner.  Traditionally my mum would make a trifle for dessert harv.. (Christmas pud is always on the menu aswell).. so I don't really do Christmas Logs or Christmas Cake.  Leading up to Christmas, its always mince pies and in more recent years, Lebkuchen (german gingerbread).

Toffee Deluxe though Late.. no, I cant be having that, sorry... everyone's favourite has to be the purple one.. its written in stone I'm afraid.  In fact, I'd go so far as to say they should replace all the toffee ones in Quality Street... with the exception of the Toffee Penny..  Not only is the Toffee Penny the most delicious toffee sweet in the box.. but it also rips your teeth out (like real toffee should) - there is no need for any other toffee.. especially that stupid finger.

Good reasoning on the roses, but not only do they have dark chocolate but also coffee flavoured ones.. which are ALWAYS left to last.. even if you like coffee!  There are two roses chocolates I will scoff down though - the Hazel Whirl and the Caramel Barrel one.. once they are gone.. I'm done.

I'm definitely in the minority with the Turkey Leg meat and I'm fine with that... in fact it suits me perfectly... more for me!   There has been one year where I didn't get a turkey leg for xmas dinner in the past 20 years and I went fuckin' mental.. ended up scouring the shops on boxing day to buy one  ;D ;D  Mind you, that wasn't as bad as the year where nobody bought me Ferrero Rochers... (this was long before FR's were really mainstream as "holiday chocolate")... we don't mention that year in my household anymore... it was a dark time.... these days I'm more adept at spotting Ferrero shaped presents under the tree long before the big day.. so I can usually remind people if I cant see any ;D

Offline Late

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 10:30:50 PM »
Haha - ditto on the Ferrero Rocher. My favourite chocolates - mainly because they're just amazing, but also because the wife and kids aren't that keen on them.
Means when I get a box of them (and I get one or two every birthday and Christmas) they're all mine.
I don't rush them, though. A box of 16 can last me months.

Just don't give me the variety box. Originals or gtfo
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 02:37:01 AM »
I've always seen them as Granny Food because my Gran used to love them. ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline jman

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 01:08:06 PM »
Just don't give me the variety box. Originals or gtfo

Kinda agree.. I do like the coconutty Raffaello ones.. and as far as dark chocolate goes, the rondnoir ones aren't that bad.. but neither competes with the original.

I don't know if you've seen the Golden Gallery box-set.. its new for this year.. I was in Rome earlier this year and picked up a box - I rarely buy FR's outside of holiday seasons but I had to try them as I'd never heard of them before.. £8.. and what a waste of time.. wasn't till xmas I realised they weren't just selling them in Italy as they were everywhere.. bloody Tesco starting knocking them out for £3 a box at one point too!

P.S. If you've never been to Rome.. you should definitely go.. not only a beautiful city.. but if you love FR.. you will love the Nutella gelato they serve over there.. absolutely amazing!!