https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Stand-up  (Read 10542 times)

Offline jman

Stand-up
« on: July 03, 2012, 02:21:50 PM »
I've just booked tickets to go see Frankie Boyle at the weekend, impulse buy really, been a while since I've been to a bit of standup and they were available..

So, who do you like, who have you been to see, who would you like to see..

I went to see Lee Evans last year (RoadRunner) - very funny.. although nowhere near as funny as some of his previous tours...
Also saw Russell Howard at the O2 which was great...
Saw Reginald D Hunter in a local theatre a year ago.. wasnt as funny as I thought he'd be.
Also seen Stephen Merchant last year too...
And seen Ricky Gervais doing his Science tour - some bits were funny but definitely the worst of his tours...

Would love to see Jimmy Carr.. and he does loads of appearances round this way, but they sell out FAST.. and they are never on sale at the right time for me.. and also Dara O'Brian.. he's got a few dates in Hammersmith later on in the year but I dont particularly like going to london in the evening unless I can make a day of it too...  and would also like to see Andy Parsons at some point too.. he did a tour last year and I had chance to get tickets but cant remember why I couldnt make it.

Offline Dragontao

Re: Stand-up
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 05:43:50 PM »
I like Reginald D Hunter, shame you didn't find him funny, I've not seen him live though so can't really say for myself.

Others I like are John Bishop and Rhod Gilbert.

Where I used to work, we used to have regular nights out at the Jongleurs comedy club in Portsmouth, but that was some years ago now. Not that many what you'd call big names appearing but some were very funny.

I did see Harry Enfield live many moons ago and he was very good. It was in the days when he was still doing Stavros and Loadsamoney, so both of those characters had big sections in the show.

I also like quite a lot of American standup comics. I've seen Emo Phillips a few times. Very funny. Last time I saw him though, he wasn't so much of an Emo with short grey hair lol.

Bill Hicks is also funny and usually really offensive to everyone lol.

Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline harv

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 06:59:17 PM »
Emo Phillips was excellent lololol. ;D

Haven't seen many live acts worth mentioning tbh, saw Michael Barrymore when I was a kid and he was hilarious and saw Paul McKenna at my student bar before he became famous and was close to wetting myself laughing lololol. ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline jman

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 09:17:52 AM »
I like Reginald D Hunter, shame you didn't find him funny, I've not seen him live though so can't really say for myself.

I had found him funny when he has done tv appearances previously.. but when he came out and said.. "a load of you have come here tonight and think your going to get a nice cuddly black man telling jokes like he does on tv.. and your not" (or something to that effect).. then I started to worry lol..  a lot of his routine is more philosophy than actual stand-up.. it was like being in a lecture at times.. I cant remember specific parts of the material now, but there was one very funny joke which had us both in stitches.. and the southern american tone he has is quite entertaining on its own.. but other than that I dont have any other memorable moments of the night... shame.. we found the warm-up act funnier than him lol..

Personally I cant stand John Bishop.. mainly down to the accent though.. he has quite a thick scouse accent that does my nut in.. and the way he drags his jokes on and on before delivering is annoying too

Offline ancelotti

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 10:03:16 PM »
Saw Lee Evans at the o2 for his Roadrunner. Was in stitches throughout!

Also like Ed Byrne, Michael McIntyre, Micky Flanagan, Shappi Khorsandi.

Ones I can't stand are Sarah Milican and Jo Brand. Don't find them funny in the slightest.

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 11:25:40 PM »
Ah, yes JMAN, Reggies Southern drawl and his face alone can crack me up at times. Very droll on some of the panel type shows he has been on.

Ancelotti, good call on Ed Byrne and Micky Flanagan. Went off McIntyre when he was on BGT, thought he was a twat.

Another couple I;d forgotten were Omid Djalili and Stephen K Amos. Although when they gave Stephen K Amos his own tv show it was a bit disappointing (and it appears he didn't have to wait for Lenny Henry to die to get his own show after all lol).
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline styles

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 11:04:09 PM »
Emo Philips. Lol. You Fucking live in the last century
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 02:19:40 PM »
I'll have you know that I;ve seen Emo live in Portsmouth in this century thank you very much Styles.  :P

Offline Momo

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 06:59:25 AM »
Harv will like this I'm sure.

Pablo Francisco

Offline jman

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 08:42:36 AM »
Sarah Millican tickets go on sale today at 10am for her 3rd national tour next year... not personally a massive fan, but missus loves her... so hopefully be able to get some good tickets.

Edit : Not bad, got the 2nd row in, about 4 seats from the end... far enough away not to get picked on!!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 10:08:04 AM by jman »

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 02:31:59 PM »
Edit : Not bad, got the 2nd row in, about 4 seats from the end... far enough away not to get picked on!!

You hope lol.

Offline jman

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 09:27:57 PM »
Going to see Jimmy Carr in May (finally)... one of the ones I've wanted to see live for a while... he always cracks me up on tele.. his laugh is infectious too.

I've got Harry Hill in a month, then Jimmy Carr in May.
Unfortunately as I'm making my missus put up with them - I will have to put up with Sarah Millican in November and Miranda Hart next February.  ::)

Offline jman

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 08:01:25 AM »
I saw Pete Firman in a local theatre last night.. not so much of a stand-up.. he's mainly a magician but with some comedy thrown in.. appeared on BBC 1's The Magicians not so long ago... I would definitely recommend if your after a good night out.. he does old tricks, new tricks, some I guess are easy to spot, some are just plain "how the eff did he do that"... but thoroughly enjoyed ourselves... the only thing I would say, is that there is a lot of audience participation.. so make sure you stick to the middle and not on the front row and you wont get picked!

Its a shame the theatre was nowhere near full, I guess people are just geniunely uninterested by magic these days...the poor bloke came scurrying out straight from the show to sell books/photos himself (and sign anything if required).. felt a bit desperate if truth be told.

http://www.petefirman.co.uk/

Offline Late

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 10:28:22 AM »
Middlesbrough lad, apparently.

Congrats on escaping, Mr. Firman.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 08:00:10 AM »
Saw Bill Bailey in Reading last night - very funny guy... plus great value.. theres no support act but you get a much longer main act.. nearly 2 hours worth of entertainment, great stuff - highly recommend.

Also booked Russell Howard tickets for his next tour next year.. got them on pre-sale.. so managed to get 6 rows from the front on the first date in Bournemouth next February.  :D