https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: The Films Thread  (Read 202400 times)

Offline jman

Re: The Films Thread
« Reply #225 on: August 30, 2012, 09:12:20 AM »
The Cabin In The Woods. (Horror/Sci-Fi/Thriller.)
What a cracking film. Unmistakably Joss Whedon - it has his style as well as a handful of actors familiar to fans of his shows. A horror film that on the surface looks terribly cliched but right from the outset makes it quite apparent that there's a lot more than meets the eye. Ninety minutes long, but took longer to watch as it made me hit the rewind button several times to fully appreciate a few scenes.
To say much more is to risk spoilers.
8.5/10 for me.

Think you've put this film in the wrong category, should be :

The Cabin In The Woods. (Light Horror/Light Comedy) - it has nothing to do with sci-fi really... I wouldnt even categorise it as a thriller either tbh.
Not knowing who Joss Whedon really was, I looked him up as the name sounded familiar and I was disappointed to discover (after I downloaded the film) that he is most notably known as being the screenwriter of Buffy/Angel series... argh!  Suffice to say, Im not a fan of those tv programmes (they are american trash after all).

Anyhow, I watched the film.. and your right, its hard to actually talk about it without giving too much away (I had no knowledge of the film prior to watching which is the best way)... however most of the plot was quite predictable from the outset anyway...the twists dont come unexpectedly... the one word that I would use to describe this film.. creative... it certainly did things a bit differently... and as a result it did keep me hooked throughout.. did I enjoy it though?   Yes and no, I got the subtle references to other horror films and I even got the OTT homages to certain horror cliches... but did they help the film.. I dont think so, whether you take these parts of the film at face value or take them as critisims/spoofs of other films.. I dont know, I dont really care either.. it feel like it detracted from the films value for me.. however the film did run at a good pace, was mostly interesting to watch and the last 20 minutes were really something!

7/10.. a nice creative horror film (although too much comedy and not enough horror for me).

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #226 on: August 30, 2012, 07:38:49 PM »

Think you've put this film in the wrong category, should be :

The Cabin In The Woods. (Light Horror/Light Comedy) - it has nothing to do with sci-fi really... I wouldnt even categorise it as a thriller either tbh.
Not knowing who Joss Whedon really was, I looked him up as the name sounded familiar and I was disappointed to discover (after I downloaded the film) that he is most notably known as being the screenwriter of Buffy/Angel series... argh!  Suffice to say, Im not a fan of those tv programmes (they are american trash after all).

7/10.. a nice creative horror film (although too much comedy and not enough horror for me).

I'd have to agree with JMAN on this for the most part (apart from the assessment of Joss Whedon, have you not seen the Avengers movie, or Firefly, or Serenity etc?). I would also say there is a small element of sci-fi in it, but only a small element. Reasonably enjoyable romp, so the 7/10 is justified.

On another note, this:
and I was disappointed to discover (after I downloaded the film)

After all your anti-downloading posts  :o. lmao.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline harv

« Reply #227 on: August 30, 2012, 07:50:26 PM »
Have now downloaded all of the films in the Movies With A Twist Collection Part 3 and there's a load of them I haven't seen which is cool, and most that I have seen I want to see again. Had to download them all separately which was a bit of a pain and some of the Blu-Ray rips didn't have great seedage so I downloaded the DVD rips instead. No biggie though. 8)
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline jman

« Reply #228 on: August 31, 2012, 12:58:07 PM »
have you not seen the Avengers movie, or Firefly, or Serenity etc?).

only the avengers... to be fair, his movie stuff is fine.. but his tv stuff.. I just dont get the big deal about american tv.. I think its all trash.. they cant do tv like the brits do Im afraid.

After all your anti-downloading posts  :o. lmao.

I'm not anti-downloading.. never proclaimed to be.. are you doing a ross there ?  ;)

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #229 on: August 31, 2012, 02:36:25 PM »
.. are you doing a ross there ?  ;)

Oi, how very dare you, I've been called many things in my time and just shrug them off but there are some insults that just go too far.  :'(
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline harv

« Reply #230 on: August 31, 2012, 05:56:33 PM »
Buffy, Angel and Firefly are excellent, although Buffy went downhill when Whedon subscribed to tiresome 'super soldier' nonsense towards the end of the series. Same goes for X-Files too. Bringing super soldiers into those sorts of programmes means the writers have run out of ideas and should have ended the series in question a while ago. >:(
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Late

« Reply #231 on: August 31, 2012, 06:47:33 PM »
The super soldier stuff was in season four (of seven) and was indeed weak. Seasons 2, 3, 5, and 6 were great though. He wasn't out of ideas.

Thoroughly enjoyed Buffy. Thought Dollhouse and Firefly were pretty good. Couldn't get into Angel.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #232 on: August 31, 2012, 07:24:37 PM »
The super soldier stuff was in season four (of seven) and was indeed weak. Seasons 2, 3, 5, and 6 were great though. He wasn't out of ideas.

Thoroughly enjoyed Buffy. Thought Dollhouse and Firefly were pretty good. Couldn't get into Angel.

Forgot Dollhouse. Superb series.

Of course Buffy had the benefit of SMG, Eliza Dushku and Charisma Carpenter. Dushku also helped make Dollhouse watchable.

I didn't mind Angel too much.

Personally JMAN, I think there are a lot of very good tv series that come out of the US. Yes they make some duff ones, but when there are so many, there is always going to be good and bad. In general though most of the sci-fi, action, adventure, horror and fantasy type shows I watch are US produced. 

Offline harv

« Reply #233 on: September 01, 2012, 10:39:53 PM »
Am watching The Crying Game, included in Part 2 of Movies With A Twist. A brilliant film, well worth a download if you haven't seen it ;D

Offline jman

« Reply #234 on: September 01, 2012, 11:42:29 PM »
Yeah I bet you liked the twist in that ya big poofter  :o :-\

Offline harv

« Reply #235 on: September 01, 2012, 11:57:17 PM »
Lol, wasn't an unexpected one though. You could tell from the photo the soldier had that she was more than a bit suspect. :o

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #236 on: September 04, 2012, 01:08:15 AM »
RIP Michael Clarke Duncan.  Dead at 54 :o . Never recovered from a heart attack he suffered in July.

Edit:

I'm nipping out for a kebab.

http://www.peta.org/features/michael-clarke-duncan.aspx
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 01:14:47 AM by Dragontao »

Offline harv

« Reply #237 on: September 04, 2012, 11:20:22 PM »
RIP Michael Clarke Duncan.  Dead at 54 :o . Never recovered from a heart attack he suffered in July.

Edit:

I'm nipping out for a kebab.

http://www.peta.org/features/michael-clarke-duncan.aspx

Oops lol ;D

Have just watched another film from the Movies With A Twist Collection, The Game starring Michael Douglas and Sean Penn. Excellent film, the main character's brother forks out for him to play a game for his birthday. Not going to give any more details because I don't want to ruin it for those that want to download and watch it. A definite 8/10  8)

Offline jman

« Reply #238 on: September 05, 2012, 07:41:24 AM »
Have The Game on dvd.. thought it was crap personally  :o

Offline harv

« Reply #239 on: September 06, 2012, 12:03:09 AM »
Well bollocks, I liked it lol :P

Have just watched The Mist, based on a novella by Stephen King, quite liked it but could see the twist coming a mile away. Still, worth a good 7 out of 10 I reckon. ;D