https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: The Films Thread  (Read 207508 times)

Offline Late

Re: The Films Thread
« Reply #510 on: July 14, 2013, 04:43:52 PM »
Love that film :D
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #511 on: July 14, 2013, 06:53:18 PM »
Yup, it was brilliant. One that I wouldn't mind watching again at some point. Plus Boltie is a right hornbat which helps lol :P ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline styles

« Reply #512 on: July 21, 2013, 08:11:00 PM »
The Watch with Ben Stiller.  Ben Stiller weirds me out, very odd little man but I enjoyed the watch thoroughly with a couple of laugh out loud moments
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline jman

« Reply #513 on: August 15, 2013, 03:38:27 PM »
Watched Alan Partridge : Alpha Papa last night..

Big AP fan.. and I found the film a bit underwhelming to be honest... but then I knew I would from the trailer/reviews.. so I wasn't too disappointed.. at the end of the day it was a funny film.. and I enjoyed it a lot.. it just felt a bit uncomfortable watching it at times because the character had quite clearly gone through a transformation to make the leap to the big screen which I felt was unnecessary.

6/10

Offline harv

« Reply #514 on: August 18, 2013, 05:48:06 PM »

Best. Star Wars. T-shirt. Ever.

If you want one you only have until 5am to order it before it's replaced by the next t-shirt. They work out at around a tenner including delivery but take a while to get over here from the States. I swore I wouldn't get another one for a while after I bought 2 Metroid ones last week but couldn't resist this one. Awesome.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 05:50:30 PM by harv »
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Late

« Reply #515 on: August 19, 2013, 11:46:26 AM »
Recently watched:

Trance. James McAvoy is an art auctioneer who has misplaced a valuable artwork during a robbery where he took a bash to his noggin. To help him remember/discover what happened he enlists the help of a hypnotherapist. I can't say much beyond the fact that this thing has more twists and turns than a twisty turny thing. And I'm not actually sure what happened in the end. It's one of those films where you're supposed to interpret it your own way, and use your own imagination. I've said it before, I'll say it again: if I settle down to watch a film it's because I want to see your imagination - not my own. My own works quite well without your prompting, thanks. Hard to score this one. On the down side I'm not certain what happened, and at a few points I was tempted to turn it off (but I stuck with it to see where it'd go). On the up side it was fun trying to work out where it was all heading, and there's a full frontal nudity scene with Rosario Dawson. All in all, though, I'm going to have to score it down for leaving me confused. 4.0

Furious 6. Sixth instalment in the Fast & Furious franchise, and there's no great surprises here. If you liked it's predecessors you'll like this one; if you didn't like the first ones then there's nothing in this one to change your opinion. Personally, I like the series (apart from the utterly annoying "F&F3: Tokyo Drift"). They focus heavily on lots of suped up cars driving fast and performing outrageous stunts, while lots of scantily clad young ladies shake their booties. What's not to like? This instalment focused more on the stunts and explosions and less on the girls, unfortunately, but it's watchable - so long as you don't mind how utterly silly it is. Some of the stunts were so mind-bogglingly ridiculous I rewound and watched them again. I'll go 6.0
You can't really see the context, but this is a strong contender for most ridiculously stupid stunt ever:

Stoker. Some batty tart's dad dies, and her uncle moves in, or some such bollocks. Can't say much, tbh, as I turned it off after about 20 minutes. I won't score it as I didn't watch enough to do so, but it was looking a solid 2.0 from the bit I saw...

Oblivion. Tom Cruise monitoring Earth after a devastating war against alien invaders. I believe it got criticised for having Scientologist undertones, but I think that's just people hating for the sake of it. Was definitely more Wall-E than Battlefield Earth - and that's a good thing. Decent enough sci-fi flick, with some nice effects, decent action, and a decent plot. Some of the plot twists were a bit predictable, but that's okay. I'll give it 6.5

Evil Dead. Remake of the early 80's original - which I've never actually seen. (I saw the third film with Bruce Campbell - I think it was called "Medievil Dead". (Edit - just looked it up and it was actually "Army of Darkness". Perhaps "Medievil Dead" was a subtitle or something.) That was a comedy. This definitely wasn't.) Very much enjoyed this film. Five kids (about 19/20 yo) head off to a cabin in the woods for a few days and awaken a demonic presence that possesses them and kills them off in a variety of inventive and gory methods. 7.0
Side note (and possible minor spoiler) - kids doll was the strangest incarnation of evil I'd ever seen prior to last week (Chucky, in the Child's Play films) but a rapist tree now tops the leader board.

Olympus Has Fallen. One of two films released this summer centred on the White House being taken over by terrorists, resulting in a hero cop taking them all on single-handed (the other is White House Down, which I haven't watched yet). This time it's Gerard Butler, fighting his way through a couple dozen North Koreans to rescue the President who is being held hostage in his bunker. Reminded me a bit of the first Die Hard film - though not as good. If you can suspend your disbelief / turn your brain off it's a decent enough action flick (and definitely a lot better than the 3rd and 5th Die Hard films!) 5.0
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 11:48:25 AM by Late »
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #516 on: August 19, 2013, 12:11:20 PM »
I watched Trance and Oblivion on a plane trip recently... I thought Trance was great.. confusing aye.. lost my way through some of it, but I enjoyed it.. and the full-frontal was awesome lol.. some parts of that film were just fucked up.... I had to turn Oblivion off after about 45 minutes... the headphones I were using were shite and I literally had no idea what was going on.. I'm not sure I'd want to go back to it though.. it looked like it was hard-going.

Meh.. being dragged to see Monsters University tomorrow.. the first one was alright for an animated film, but nothing to make me want to really go to the cinema and watch the sequel.

Offline Late

« Reply #517 on: August 23, 2013, 11:05:53 AM »
Ughh.
Ben Affleck's playing Batman in the 2015 Superman film.
I'd heard they were originally offering Christian Bale around $60m to reprise the role. Not sure if that's true. I definitely would've preferred to see him play the part again rather than Affleck - who I really don't like. Don't think I've liked a single film he's been in or been involved in. And he's got a permanently smug look about him. (Mind, I would probably be perma-smug if I had his life...)

Offline styles

« Reply #518 on: August 23, 2013, 09:02:30 PM »
Afleck has superhero previous, not sure I like the idea of Batman in a Superman film regardless, the whole DC world doesn't work as well as the Marvel Universe.
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline bealec

« Reply #519 on: August 24, 2013, 11:23:10 AM »
I hope he has a better Batman voice then Bales gargling with rocks effort. Also why did he use the Batman voice whilst talking to Alfred?

Offline harv

« Reply #520 on: August 24, 2013, 12:52:27 PM »
Keaton has been the best so far, nobody else comes close to portraying how much of a headcase the Batman character is.

Offline jman

« Reply #521 on: August 28, 2013, 09:12:23 AM »
Watched Elysium on Monday.. it was good.. but not fantastic.. some bits felt very generic to a sci-fi action film and therefore parts were quite predictable.. it was decent enough but just didn't have the wow factor.  The overacting by Sharlto Copley (the south African dude) was enjoyable though

6/10

Offline ancelotti

« Reply #522 on: August 28, 2013, 03:18:22 PM »
I hope he has a better Batman voice then Bales gargling with rocks effort. Also why did he use the Batman voice whilst talking to Alfred?

I took that to mean that in his head, Batman had become his true identity and that Bruce Wayne was the disguise. Or it could have been a mistake! ;D

Got around to watching Now You See Me the other night. Interesting concept. Enjoyed it throughout and the ending was very good. An impressive cast all play their parts well (but none outstandingly well) and Isla Fisher is a babe. 8/10

Offline Late

« Reply #523 on: August 28, 2013, 06:38:23 PM »
I watched that (Now You See Me) last night. Was very good - but I was knackered and missed quarter of an hour about the quarters of the way through when I nodded off. That's no reflection on the film though!
Will watch it again in six months or so.

Offline jman

« Reply #524 on: October 03, 2013, 08:15:01 AM »
Watched Despicable Me for the first time the other night.. thought it was great.. cant believe its taken me this long to see it.. we decided not to bother queuing for the Despicable Me Minion Mayhem ride at Universal Studios in the summer as it was a god awful long queue and we both hadn't seen either of the films.. gutted we didn't go on it now, but equally excited to see the second film when it comes out.