https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: The Films Thread  (Read 200979 times)

Offline Late

Re: The Films Thread
« Reply #330 on: November 27, 2012, 03:47:40 PM »
"Safety Not Guaranteed".
Entertainment not guaranteed. In a way it reminded me of "Sound of my Voice", which I watched a couple of weeks back (in that you're mainly interested in it because you want to know which way the final scene will go - is the nutjob actually telling the truth or not?), but nowhere near as strong a story or characters as SomV. About 30 mins in I was torn between turning it off and wanting to see the ending - and made the wrong choice. I stuck with it. The only two redeeming things about the film - it's relatively short (about 80mins I think); and it stars Aubrey Plaza, who is quite attractive in an unconventional way (you might know her from Parks & Recreation).
2/10.

Have had that "Samaritan" film on standby for a while. Looked okay from the trailers, but then got very poor reviews. Thanks for the heads up, Kieron - I'll swerve it now.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #331 on: November 28, 2012, 08:09:34 PM »
Watched a film called Outland from about 1982. Stars Sean Connery. It's an ok(ish) story. Dated effects. Watchable but not great.

I downloaded it to watch it to see if the story was anything like the one I made up for the film. The answer is, not really.

I originally went to the cinema to see this film when I was 16. Went with a girl I'd been seeing for a little while.,First date with a new girlfriend. Cinema was pretty empty and we didn't really see any of the film. In fact all I could really remember of it was that Connery was in it and it seemed to be on a space station somewhere.

Now afterwards I was going to get the bus home but her dad came to pick her up and gave me a lift home too. Then came the awkward moment when he asks what was the film like and what was it about.

I think the answer I gave made it sound like a cross between James Bond and Star Wars. Thankfully it would appear he'd not seen it and hadn't read a review.

Always made sure I at least read a bit about a film before seeing it after that lol.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline jman

« Reply #332 on: December 03, 2012, 07:48:25 AM »
Watched Home Alone and Home Alone 2 at the weekend - classics - always have trouble deciding which one is my favourite though  ;D

Saw the trailer for Hobbit the other day too, looks great.. you not going to watch it drags ?  :P

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #333 on: December 03, 2012, 04:14:48 PM »
Saw the trailer for Hobbit the other day too, looks great.. you not going to watch it drags ?  :P

Of course I'll watch it. Doesn't mean I have to be happy about being ripped off dammit.  :(
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline harv

« Reply #334 on: December 03, 2012, 05:40:18 PM »
Might watch that myself I think. When's it out..?
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline bealec

« Reply #335 on: December 03, 2012, 09:11:45 PM »
13th December. Gunna take the missus she loves Tolkein.

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #336 on: December 03, 2012, 09:50:59 PM »

But what does she think of Tolkien?  :P  ;D

... and I know you'll probably edit your original post now but I couldn't resist.  :P :P :P

Offline bealec

« Reply #337 on: December 03, 2012, 10:39:11 PM »

But what does she think of Tolkien?  :P  ;D

... and I know you'll probably edit your original post now but I couldn't resist.  :P :P :P

Alright...Smart Arse!

Offline jman

« Reply #338 on: December 04, 2012, 08:02:21 AM »

Of course I'll watch it. Doesn't mean I have to be happy about being ripped off dammit.  :(

Did you feel ripped off watching LoTR??.. lets be fair.. he could of condensed that down to two films easily.. there were parts of each film that were quite boring and could of been cut.. but its still a fantastic trilogy and definitely felt like I got my moneys worth at the cinema and boxset I own  ;)

Despite the Hobbit being a prequel, am hoping to re-watch the LoTR trilogy before the 13th  ;D

Offline ancelotti

« Reply #339 on: December 04, 2012, 08:27:53 AM »
There was so much more that could have been in LotR though, the extended versions were excellent.

The Hobbit's being stretched out a bit... Will still go and watch it though.  ;D

Offline Late

« Reply #340 on: December 04, 2012, 09:28:16 AM »
I hope never to have to sit through the LOTR ever again. Didn't like the books, didn't like the films.
The Hobbit was an okay read, so I'm not sure if I want to see the film.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #341 on: December 04, 2012, 11:59:24 AM »
I can understand some hardcore fans of the books not liking the films because they missed they left out the shire and Gimli was more Pratchett than Tolkien but ...

Didn't like the books

... not often I disagree with you but you're a bloody sacrilegious heathen lol.

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #342 on: December 04, 2012, 12:04:12 PM »
Did you feel ripped off watching LoTR??.. lets be fair.. he could of condensed that down to two films easily.. there were parts of each film that were quite boring and could of been cut.. but its still a fantastic trilogy and definitely felt like I got my moneys worth at the cinema and boxset I own  ;)

Bought the individual films on DVD and then the Extended trilogy boxset. So yes, I am feeling ripped off lol. Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the films though and for me I enjoyed the length of them and being immersed in them a bit. Just wish they'd been in 3D as well so I could have been ripped off a little bit more.  :-\

Offline Late

« Reply #343 on: December 04, 2012, 01:50:55 PM »
I can understand some hardcore fans of the books not liking the films because they missed they left out the shire and Gimli was more Pratchett than Tolkien but ...

Didn't like the books

I struggled through two and a half books then gave up. It's very rare for me not to finish a book once I've gotten past the first dozen or so pages. Walking away from it that close to the end is testament to how much I disliked it.

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #344 on: December 04, 2012, 03:45:47 PM »

Didn't like the books

I struggled through two and a half books then gave up. It's very rare for me not to finish a book once I've gotten past the first dozen or so pages. Walking away from it that close to the end is testament to how much I disliked it.

lol ...

... but you'd made it through two and a half, that extra half might have made all the difference.  ;)