https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: The Films Thread  (Read 200976 times)

Offline jman

Re: The Films Thread
« Reply #345 on: December 15, 2012, 10:07:23 AM »
Just seen the trailer for Pacific Rim - giant monsters vs giant robots...looks ... great.. but a bit weird.. and yes, the computer voice in it is GLaDOS - awesome!

Offline Late

« Reply #346 on: December 15, 2012, 01:16:50 PM »
Watched that trailer (and a few more) last night. That looks pretty good. After Earth has potential but didn't excite. Man of Steel and Star Trek are both looking good. Oblivion looks very good too.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #347 on: December 17, 2012, 06:37:41 PM »
Have been watching a load of films on my Wii U using Netflix and LoveFilm, best of the lot is Hard Candy about a kiddie fiddler who picks up a 14 year old girl in a chatroom. Not going to give any spoilers, watch it. :o
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #348 on: December 17, 2012, 08:46:16 PM »
Saw that film pretty much when it came out. From what I remember I wasn't that keen on it.

Just booking tickets to be ripped off, I mean see the Hobbit on Friday night.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline jman

« Reply #349 on: December 17, 2012, 09:30:31 PM »
I'm looking forward to watching the hobbit tomorrow and getting my moneys worth  ;)

Offline harv

« Reply #350 on: December 20, 2012, 05:09:26 PM »
Have just watched Zombieland, awesome ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Late

« Reply #351 on: December 20, 2012, 11:49:36 PM »
Love that film - have watched it at least four times, including twice in the last couple of months.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #352 on: December 21, 2012, 07:38:46 AM »
I thought The Hobbit was fantastic by the way, Martin Freeman didnt feel right as Bilbo at the start I thought, but by the end I thought he was the perfect casting.. Gollum was excellent as usual - there are quite a few comedy moments in the film though.. something I wasnt really expecting I guess.. but it certainly adds to it..  :D

Offline Late

« Reply #353 on: December 21, 2012, 09:28:51 AM »
Middle earth? Middle finger.

Offline styles

« Reply #354 on: December 21, 2012, 07:46:47 PM »
Blasphemer!!!
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #355 on: December 22, 2012, 03:28:24 PM »
Blasphemer!!!

Indeed.

On the film itself. I still don;t think there needs to be 3 films. A lot of unnecessary padding. That said, the fikm itself is by and large spectacular. Some verry good performances, notably from Freeman who really is excellent in the film. The scenes with Gollum were almost worth the admission money alone.

The comedy element still seems to be more suited to a Pratchett adaptation and parts of the film lead to some "really?",  "seriously?" and "are you kidding me?" moments. They manage to cling on to the side of the giants during their battle while being thrown all over the place but afterwards a couple of them manage to slip and need rescuing.  >:(

hen there's the tumble to the bottom of the goblin caves when the platform collapses and not one of them dies or is even remotely injured. Susepnding belief is one thing, eradicating it from your psyche altogether is pushing it a bit.

Gripes aside, I enjoyed it though. I'd give it 8.5/10.

Trailers for Jack the Giant Slayer and Man of Steel piqued my curiosity.

On the subkect of the 48 fps, to be honest I'm not sure it made any amazing difference. Not that I noticed anyway. Didn't appear to cause motion sickness, though I did have a bit of a headache afterwards but that may be due to the 3D glasses as much as anything.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline harv

« Reply #356 on: December 31, 2012, 09:05:51 PM »
If I were ever to go to the States I'd avoid using any form of motor vehicle. They ALWAYS blow up when they crash. :o :-\

Offline Late

« Reply #357 on: December 31, 2012, 09:08:51 PM »
... and you can't drive...

Offline harv

« Reply #358 on: December 31, 2012, 10:24:22 PM »
That's why I said 'using' and not 'driving' ;)

No buses and no taxis. 8)

You would have thought they'd have some sort of safety standards before they let these things on the road.

Have been watching loads of films over Christmas using the LoveFilm and Netflix apps on my Wii U. Netflix is miles better, plenty of films have subtitles and it suggests other films based on the ones you've been watching which is pretty cool. There's a load of films I've never heard of that I've watched and enjoyed thanks to that.

Shame it doesn't have the same features as TVii though, Miiverse interaction on the GamePad, IMDb info and browsing whilst watching a film on the telly would be great. Still, a really nice app despite that. I can see plenty of people carrying on their subscriptions after their 30 days free trial is over.

Offline styles

« Reply #359 on: January 01, 2013, 01:04:59 AM »
How do you get to be forty and can't drive?
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.