https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: The Films Thread  (Read 200979 times)

Offline ancelotti

Re: The Films Thread
« Reply #420 on: February 03, 2013, 12:23:27 AM »
Went to see Flight Friday night... The flight crash was brilliantly done and seemed very realistic. Denzel Washington puts in a cracking dynamic performance and could bag himself another Oscar! Despite there not being nearly as much action as the trailers suggest, it's still well worth a watch... 8/10

Offline jman

« Reply #421 on: February 03, 2013, 04:16:23 PM »
Yep I watched that last night... amazing film.. Denzel in particular is excellent.  I was near-on shouting at the screen for him to just stop drinking lol... The flight crash was the perfect way to start the film.. on the edge of your seat stuff!!  I'd give it an 8/10 too - definitely worth watching!!

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #422 on: February 04, 2013, 12:01:37 AM »
I'm not sure if any of you have a sky subscription but if you do and you only subscribe to tv plus sports and you want to add movies, if you don't have any other offers on your account just now then i can get you sky movies for one pound per month for 6 months.

Let me know if any of you fit that bill and want to go ahead.

Cheers for the offer but I will never have Sky in my home again. Bunch of cunts.

Anyway, watched a film called Alex Cross the other day. Not a bad little film. Bloke that played Jack in Lost plays a nutty killer who is hunted by an FBI agent. Won't give away any spoilers but it is quite violent in places and quite a departure from his character in Lost, almost didn't recognise him.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline Late

« Reply #423 on: February 04, 2013, 01:29:30 AM »
Love the Alex Cross books. I believe that's the third to be made into a film - you may have seen Morgan Freeman play the character in "Along came a spider" and "Kiss the girls". Both were okay (not great, not awful) but I've not heard much good about the new one...
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #424 on: February 04, 2013, 10:12:11 AM »
Glad I didnt watch Taken 2 at the cinema.. I watched it last night on dvd and it was pretty bad... the whole point of Taken was that it was gritty and actually felt like the situation could happen.  Taken 2 is far less believable (in some cases - just ridiculous) and has lost pretty much all of its grittiness in favour for a lower age rating for the cinema goers (Taken - 18, Taken2 - 12A)

Liam Neeson does a fairly good job but the story was terrible, the action sequeneces were unbelievable, the other characters (apart from Neesons) didnt stand out and were instantly forgettable - even the (usually) hot Famke Janssen was plain, dull and boring...the ending of the film was just rubbish too..

Sadly a 2/10

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #425 on: February 04, 2013, 02:26:56 PM »
Love the Alex Cross books. I believe that's the third to be made into a film - you may have seen Morgan Freeman play the character in "Along came a spider" and "Kiss the girls". Both were okay (not great, not awful) but I've not heard much good about the new one...

Ah, I knew about those films but for some reason had never gotten round to watching them, though I like Morgan Freeman, very good actor.

I quite enjoyed the new one as a bit of an action romp. Didn't associate it with anything else though, so had no expectations.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #426 on: February 04, 2013, 02:32:06 PM »
Glad I didnt watch Taken 2 at the cinema.. I watched it last night on dvd and it was pretty bad... the whole point of Taken was that it was gritty and actually felt like the situation could happen.  Taken 2 is far less believable (in some cases - just ridiculous) and has lost pretty much all of its grittiness in favour for a lower age rating for the cinema goers (Taken - 18, Taken2 - 12A)

Liam Neeson does a fairly good job but the story was terrible, the action sequeneces were unbelievable, the other characters (apart from Neesons) didnt stand out and were instantly forgettable - even the (usually) hot Famke Janssen was plain, dull and boring...the ending of the film was just rubbish too..

Sadly a 2/10

Well I gave it a bit more than 2/10, though perhaps I was being a tad generous. Don't think it was as bad as a 2 though. But on the whole (shock horror) I agreed with you.

Offline ancelotti

« Reply #427 on: February 05, 2013, 12:53:23 AM »
Got around to watching a couple of films on my "to watch" list...

End of Watch - Probably the most realistic cop movie I've ever seen. Great performances by the two main actors (Jake Gyllenhaal and no idea who the other is). What I liked most was how it was very funny at times, but also hard-hitting and serious, and then quite moving towards the end. 8.5/10

Prometheus - Have been intending to watch this for ages as I love the (first 3) Alien films. Resurrection was an abomination. I really enjoyed it, although it seems to have attracted quite a bit of hate on various forums. There's one comical scene (spoiler) when Vickers (Charlize Theron) is running away from a falling mile high ship which is probably about 15-20 yards wide (if that) and she doesn't even think to run to the side of it.  ??? Anyway, I like how it kinda tied into the Alien series and the final scene had me like  :o. Hope there's a sequel. 8/10
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 12:55:20 AM by ancelotti »

Offline jman

« Reply #428 on: February 05, 2013, 08:45:35 AM »
Well I gave it a bit more than 2/10, though perhaps I was being a tad generous. Don't think it was as bad as a 2 though. But on the whole (shock horror) I agreed with you.

What redeeming features did the film have.. apart from Neeson - none.
Will I watch it again - probably never.
Are there any memorable parts - apart from how stupid the film is - none - example >>

Theres a scene in it where Kim is in a car chase driving a taxi around.. first of all, it is already noted that she has already failed two driving tests in america where they all drive automatics.  So now she is in istanbul driving a manual transmission - and although she is smashing into police cars, alley ways and everything... she's managing to drive like a stunt-driver to get away - she doesnt even stall it once... and at the end of the chase, the car is in perfect condition still.. no bangs on the front nor the back.. the whole thing is just bollocks - this kind of thing runs throughout the entire film - I could pick at it for days.

Plus if we are working on the scale that the first Taken - I would of prehaps awarded an 8 score - Taken 2 really only deserves a 2.

Offline Late

« Reply #429 on: February 05, 2013, 09:25:09 AM »
What redeeming features did the film have..
Calculating distance by setting off hand grenades and counting the seconds between the explosion being heard over the phone and it being heard in the distance - and triangulating position by doing that again a few streets away. Beautiful.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #430 on: February 05, 2013, 08:48:01 PM »
Theres a scene in it where Kim is in a car chase driving a taxi around.. first of all, it is already noted that she has already failed two driving tests in america where they all drive automatics.  So now she is in istanbul driving a manual transmission - and although she is smashing into police cars, alley ways and everything... she's managing to drive like a stunt-driver to get away - she doesnt even stall it once... and at the end of the chase, the car is in perfect condition still.. no bangs on the front nor the back.. the whole thing is just bollocks - this kind of thing runs throughout the entire film - I could pick at it for days.

Plenty of joyriders could drive like that and never pass their test.

So maybe her driving explains exactly why she has failed two tests already. She's bloody lethal behind the wheel.  And she's also had a crash (no pun intended) course in super fast car bodywork repair, which she obviously did off screen with some kit her dad had the presence of mind to pack, knowing they would probably get into some kind of trouble where her driving "skills" would be utilised.

Bloody amazing redeeming feature to give it that much thought if you ask me.  :P  ;D

8)

Offline jman

« Reply #431 on: February 08, 2013, 07:51:39 AM »
Watched Rock of Ages last night.. I have seen the musical... got to be honest, tom cruise does do a great job... the film is a bit gay and quite cheesy (so is the musical).. but I do love a trashy 80's rock song... and this is full of them.

I'd say if you dont like that kind of music - then dont even bother watching the film - you wont like it... otherwise its to be taken as good light hearted fun and nothing more - 5/10.

Offline styles

« Reply #432 on: February 08, 2013, 08:06:53 AM »
The artist is on this weekend. Will watch it but not expecting much.
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #433 on: February 08, 2013, 05:58:30 PM »
The artist is on this weekend. Will watch it but not expecting much.

Doesn't appeal to me, think it might be like watching paint dry.

Offline styles

« Reply #434 on: February 10, 2013, 11:56:16 AM »
Yeah haven't seen it yet, speaks volumes. Contraband is available too, anyone seen it?
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.