https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: The Films Thread  (Read 200971 times)

Offline Dragontao

Re: The Films Thread
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2012, 01:17:43 AM »
Finally saw the Avengers. Some minor gripes about character changes and I wouldn't have cast the bloke playing Hawkeye personally. Other than that I thought it was excellent. Good ensemble cast, great action scenes, reasonable story and some real laugh out loud moments with the Hulk. The scene after the end credits I'm like "whoa it's """ (I won't give it away for those who have not seen it, not that they actually gave the character's name anyway, only comic book fans would have known who the character was. The friends I went with just went "who?" so I had to explain lol.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline Late

« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2012, 02:09:32 AM »
Watched "How I Spent My Summer Vacation" (aka "Get The Gringo").
Fairly enjoyable action film in the "turn off your brain and sit back" style. Have heard it described as Lethal Weapon without Danny Glover, and that's not a bad description - nor a damning one. It's Lethal Weapon but with more blood and slow-motion.
I'll give it 6.5 outta 10.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline Late

« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2012, 07:07:05 PM »
Anchorman 2 trailer.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2012, 05:56:49 AM »

Wasn't sure where to post this gif but it has to be the most disturbing animated gif I've ever seen lololol :o :P
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2012, 10:22:15 AM »
I don't find it that disturbing.  ??? lol.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline harv

« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2012, 11:17:09 AM »

That's because you're twisted :P
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2012, 01:35:02 PM »

That's because you're twisted :P

Yeah, can't argue with that, I am definitely twisted. lol

Offline Late

« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2012, 02:45:02 PM »
Finally watched Avengers. Good film but I found myself faintly disappointed - was hoping it'd be better. I think my main concern was that the heroes spent so much time bickering and fighting amongst themselves. I get it - they're individual heroes and it's against their nature to work with others - but the infighting got tiresome. Some of the quips were great though, as we're the Hulk's sudden fits of destruction.
8.5 - very good but could have been better.

Also watched John Carter. Definitely more one for the missus than me, but a decent film. I kept expecting to see Jar-Jar Binks though. Thin on story and physics, but strong cgi and action scenes, it's an enjoyable enough experience - just don't expect your brain to get a workout!
7.5 - better than I'd expected.

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2012, 05:20:29 PM »
Shame you didn't see John Carter in 3D, it was the best live action 3D film I;d seen since Avatar. Consistent the whole way through and the 3D gave real depth to the film.

It would probably make a better TV series though as the Burroughs books are a whole series and explore the whole thing a lot better. I am a bit surprised they didn't expand on the science part of it though. You can understand the physics in the original books being a bit weak, given the era in which they were written.

Offline Late

« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2012, 11:01:27 PM »
One of the kids is blind in one eye, so I tend to avoid 3d stuff. It'd be unfair on her, and generally it's no great loss to stick to 2d (there are exceptions, of course, but as a rule 3d doesn't seem to do much to enhance games or films in my limited experience).

Recently bought the Robocop trilogy on blu-ray. I like the first two (the third is a coaster as far as I'm concerned).
Watched the first one tonight. The effects on ED209 are woeful, but on the whole the film still stands up pretty well today.  :)

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2012, 12:11:12 AM »
One of the kids is blind in one eye, so I tend to avoid 3d stuff. It'd be unfair on her, and generally it's no great loss to stick to 2d (there are exceptions, of course, but as a rule 3d doesn't seem to do much to enhance games or films in my limited experience).

Good reason, but you're absolutely right about 3D. The only films I;ve seen where it was worth bothering with were John Carter, Avatar and the animated film Legend of the Guardian.

The others, wouldn't have been any great loss not seeing them in 3D.

Offline Late

« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2012, 09:45:36 AM »
That gif's bugging me. Definitely looks familiar (pre edit).

Gary Oldman? Possibly in Leon?

Offline jman

« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2012, 09:56:16 AM »
Yeah I'd go with that.. definitely gary oldman..

Talking of gary oldman.. I was searching for him on google the other day and thought "Wow he's let himself go quite a bit".. then I realised I had missed an "r" out when spelling his name..
..ok I'll get my coat lol.

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2012, 08:30:47 PM »
That gif's bugging me.

You'd give your eye teeth not to have to look at it any more eh!

;)

Offline Late

« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2012, 10:12:43 PM »
Oh dear god, you didn't just post that...

lol