https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Best Thing About The 60s..?  (Read 6774 times)

Offline harv

Best Thing About The 60s..?
« on: November 05, 2012, 03:08:51 PM »
Every week I'm going through each decade from the 60s to this one we're in and asking you what the best things were about them.

For me, the best thing about the 60s would have to be the music - Hendrix, The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, the start of Prog Rock, the start of jazz-funk fusion, top quality rock, blues and R&B. The list goes on and on. 8)

What about you..?
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline jman

Re: Best Thing About The 60s..?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 03:38:40 PM »
How can you give a definitive answer when you were born in the 70s??  :-\

And are you talking about general aspects of the decade or can you have events like hosting and winning the world cup.. I can only imagine how great that would of been - plus the moon landing as well...

Wake me up when you get to the 80s..

Offline Late

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 04:29:34 PM »
If you can remember the sixties you weren't there, maaan...
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 05:15:20 PM »
Lol, I think it's quite possible to look back at a decade you weren't born in and see the best parts of it.

Not a bad decade at all as it goes. The plus points outweigh the negative ones. The music, the drugs, the moonlanding, the drugs, free love (man), the drugs, the 66 World Cup and the drugs far outweigh the Vietnam War, Cuban Missile Crisis, gangland wars in London and Manchester. Not many other bad points I can think of tbh...although my brother was born in 68 so that's a major negative point.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 06:31:10 PM »
You might be able to look at what you think are the best parts of it, listen to other's recollections, but unless you've lived it for yourself then you can only ever have a distorted picture of the time. You'll see the parts that the history books write about, the good and the bad, but very varely the mundane and the average. What you'rew getting is the highlights (and they often exclude the real lowlights, just like Match of the Day).

Even when you have lived in an era, sometimes you can look back with rose tinted (or I suppose the opposite) based on your own experiences. It's all highly subjective.

Having been born mid way through the sixties, I have a very limited recollection of it, but obviously the highlight of the 60's had to be me.  ;D

Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline Late

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 08:50:08 PM »
Widespread drug use as a major positive? That's one opinion. Not one I share...
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 09:00:02 PM »
Widespread drug use as a major positive? That's one opinion. Not one I share...

Well bollocks, you brought it up lol :P

Without LSD in particular you wouldn't have had anywhere near as much quality in terms of music. 8)

Offline Late

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 10:08:07 PM »
A few canny songs versus countless deaths and ruined lives.

I've little patience for "recreational drug use".

Offline harv

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 11:18:38 PM »
Not got much time for recreational drugs myself but they're responsible for more than a few canny songs from the 60s. Without copious amounts of drugs you wouldn't have seen the likes of The Beatles, The Who, The Stones, Jimi Hendrix etc. The whole of the music scene from the 60s would be dead as a doornail from pop music to jazz and blues.

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 12:05:57 AM »
The drugs weren't responsible for the music, the drugs came along when the bands were famous.

All of those bands have written some good stuff while totally clean, as did many other bands back then.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline ancelotti

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 07:24:53 PM »
Probably the World Cup Win or the moon landing. No idea tbh. THEN always seems better than NOW due to nostalgia. Everything always appears nicer through sepia-tinted glasses. Like Late says, no one remembers the banal everyday stuff. lol

Was born in the 90s myself, so let me know when we get there!  8)

Offline chelseachelsea

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 08:46:18 PM »
The 60's were great for the music blah blah blah, but the obvious reason it was so good, Chelsea were building a great team and the goons were fucking shite. Even if they did win the Double in 1970, the sixties were their worse decade for a long time.