https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: The Telly Thread  (Read 171171 times)

Offline AVFCRoss

Re: The Telly Thread
« Reply #150 on: July 26, 2012, 03:32:42 AM »
Damn but they look old. Not much you can do about that though.
Don't like Kryten's new head, but that's just nit picking.
Hope they don't screw it up like they did with Back to Earth...

The yanks have remade The Inbetweeners.
Way to take something that's great and morph it into something horrendous, MTV.

"1,435 likes, 55,717 dislikes" lol

The thing that pisses me off most is how they've nicked every other sketch directly from our version.

Even the other stuff they've tried to make different is still virtually the same (Kid with crutches being hit with an American Football, rather than girl in a wheelchair being hit with a frisbee, for example)

It doesn't work because American humour is WAY different to British humour...Theirs is more subtle and light-hearted, whereas ours is pretty much the complete opposite, with constant barrages of insults, swearing and general crudeness...They've tried to portray their sense of humour onto a series that was renowned for being the absolute opposite.

The most offensive thing you see in that trailer is when "Jay" says "Renob", and makes reference to that being "Boner" backwards...If they think that's cutting edge humour, then I really do pity them...Can't believe they're taking a stealing a classic television series from us, and completely butchering it in every sense of the word.

Offline styles

« Reply #151 on: July 26, 2012, 08:34:35 AM »
Mheh. Don't get too upset, the writers certainly aren't. Remember when the US version of the office aired, its now much more successful than the British one ever was and gervais just laughs all the way to the bank.
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline jman

« Reply #152 on: July 26, 2012, 09:51:56 AM »
Remember when the US version of the office aired, its now much more successful than the British one ever was

How is it more successful.. if you think its because its been running longer than the british version - thats not how you should be basing success...

Office US - 9 seasons, 176 episodes... pretty much only shown in america
Office UK - 2 seasons, 14 episodes.. exported the format to 7/8 different countries... sold broadcasting rights to 80 countries worldwide and won a golden globe for best tv comedy.

Not to mention the fact that the Office US has had dipping ratings for the past 3-4 seasons and has dipped significantly since Steve Carrell left.. the Office US will never be as successful (or as funny) as the Office UK.

Offline ancelotti

« Reply #153 on: July 26, 2012, 04:37:08 PM »
Preferred the US version tbh. Can't stand Ricky Gervais, whereas Steve Carrell is a legend!  :P

Offline styles

« Reply #154 on: July 27, 2012, 10:55:22 PM »
Remember when the US version of the office aired, its now much more successful than the British one ever was

How is it more successful.. if you think its because its been running longer than the british version - thats not how you should be basing success...

Office US - 9 seasons, 176 episodes... pretty much only shown in america
Office UK - 2 seasons, 14 episodes.. exported the format to 7/8 different countries... sold broadcasting rights to 80 countries worldwide and won a golden globe for best tv comedy.

Not to mention the fact that the Office US has had dipping ratings for the past 3-4 seasons and has dipped significantly since Steve Carrell left.. the Office US will never be as successful (or as funny) as the Office UK.

Lol. Well done on missing the point.

Let me give you ricky gervais' response when he was asked " how does it make you feel that the American office is more successful than the British version?" - "rich"
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline harv

« Reply #155 on: July 29, 2012, 05:14:23 PM »
Am watching series 4 of Tales of The Unexpected. Quite disturbing watching anything from the 70s and 80s and realising that what was then a great deal of money, £10,000, is pretty much worth bugger all these days. :o :-\ :(
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Late

« Reply #156 on: July 29, 2012, 07:31:39 PM »
The voice of modern dole-wallahs... £10k is nowt.  ???

Sometimes I feel like a right mug for going to work every day.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #157 on: July 29, 2012, 11:33:44 PM »
In the grand scheme of things it isn't a great deal of money these days compared to thirty years ago. Someone earning 10 grand a year was on ridiculously good money in the late 70s or early 80s. To the common man it was more than a year's wages. These days it's well below the minimum wage. It really isn't a great deal of wedge. ???
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline AVFCRoss

« Reply #158 on: July 30, 2012, 04:58:25 AM »
In the grand scheme of things it isn't a great deal of money these days compared to thirty years ago. Someone earning 10 grand a year was on ridiculously good money in the late 70s or early 80s. To the common man it was more than a year's wages. These days it's well below the minimum wage. It really isn't a great deal of wedge. ???

Going under the assumption you'd work a full 40 hour week on £6.08 (the highest bracket of national minimum wage) EVERY week, you'd earn £11,673.

Take out sick leave, holiday leave and annual entitled leave...Not to mention the good old taxman taking his slice of the cake too, and you're probably looking at more like £10,000, maybe slightly less.

Anyone who works less than 40 hours a week would be earning less, of course, but even still, it's hardly "well below the minimum wage"...Just out of interest, now that I've actually bothered to do the maths for you, what sort of figure did you have floating around that made you come to the conclusion that £10,000 is well below minimum...?

Offline harv

« Reply #159 on: July 30, 2012, 10:46:13 AM »
Because when I was at Eidos I wasn't too far off the minimum wage, although to be fair that was years ago and the rate has gone up since. When I first started off working there in February 2005, before I was made redundant the first time, I was on 12K. :o

The second time I worked there I was on 15K.

Like I've said before it was a crappily paid job but the only job I've done in my life that I've enjoyed doing.

And 10 grand these days, as I've mentioned before, doesn't get you very far. It isn't a great deal of money.

Offline Late

« Reply #160 on: July 30, 2012, 11:16:53 AM »
You exist outside reality, don't you.
A place where ten grand is worth sod all, Nintendo's good, and stuff from the 70s and 80s still looks good today.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline styles

« Reply #161 on: July 30, 2012, 12:17:45 PM »
Lol

Work hard, be nice.

Offline harv

« Reply #162 on: July 30, 2012, 02:54:43 PM »
I really can't believe you can't see how much inflation has affected things. Telly programmes in the 70s and 80s using the amount of £10,000 as a great deal of money would today use around 6 or 7 times as much.

Just cast your mind back 30 years and remember how far a tenner used to get you. Christ on a bike you could quite comfortably do a week's worth of shopping for that. :o

I'm not saying that 10,000 quid these days is worthless but it isn't a serious amount of cash.

Offline Late

« Reply #163 on: July 30, 2012, 03:31:02 PM »
I'm fully aware of inflation, and nobody is saying £10,000 is worth as much as it used to be.
Going with the 30 years timeline mentioned in your last post, using the retail price index, £10k in 1982 is equivalent to approximately £29k in 2012.
I very much doubt you could quite comfortably get a week's shopping in for a tenner.
£10k is a serious amount of cash. Put it this way - if you have that much in your bank you probably aren't allowed to claim your benefits.

Offline harv

« Reply #164 on: July 30, 2012, 05:31:29 PM »
Obviously not for a family, but for a single man or woman living alone you could easily do a weeks worth of shopping for a tenner.