https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 682347 times)

Offline harv

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #1860 on: June 08, 2013, 06:20:21 PM »
Bah! My hard drive is on its way out so bought another one - 4GB this time lol - installed it and then my bloody wireless mouse and keyboard decided to die on me. Just picked one up for 19 quid though so not too bad, and I was thinking of getting another set because there was bugger all range on the thing, this new set has a 10m range so it's not all bad. Just got to worry about paying for it all now :-\

Will mean I can game on my PC from my armchair now though so it's not all bad 8)

I love the combat in the Batman games, goingto be interesting to see if Batman Arkham Origins has the new BAT mode that the Wii U SKU of Arkham City has because it's pretty cool. Makes your gloves and boots electrify :P
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline harv

« Reply #1861 on: June 09, 2013, 12:30:36 AM »
Really like the look of Sonic Lost World, there's a 12 minute playthrough of the E3 demo on IGN. Looks gorgeous. ;D

Bloody Vista won't boot from a GPT drive so I've had to split my hard drive into two partitions which is annoying >:(
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Late

« Reply #1862 on: June 09, 2013, 12:47:49 AM »
4 gig?
What's it for - to double your free space on the Wii u?  :P
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #1863 on: June 09, 2013, 01:58:23 AM »
Aw bum, meant 4TB lol :P

Offline Late

« Reply #1864 on: June 09, 2013, 04:02:56 AM »
State of Decay has sold over quarter of a million copies in the first two days. Bloody impressive for an indie game that pretty much nobody had heard of until a couple of days before its release.

I've relocated my base to a warehouse at the north-west end of the southern town (called Marshall?). Seemed the largest option that I could find. I've built quite a lot of buildings/facilities in there, and have eight outposts. Seem to be getting along well with all of the neighbours, and I have a good relationship with all of my group - most are playable, the others are all close.
Have lost quite a few people though. Never lost a character I'm in control of, but the others have a tendency to get into trouble - and it's impossible to keep up with all of the missions that become available. I did have 17 people at one point but I'm now down to 12. No idea who died, other than the preacher. Hope none of them was important.
All in all I think I'm ahead of the folks in The Walking Dead. Take that Sheriff Grimes.
Steep learning curve - I'm sure there's loads of things I'm missing. And I never read the journal - which probably has loads of important info in it - because there's too much in there and if you stop to read it you're attacked or miss missions. Which all adds to the sense of urgency.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline shellyboy100

« Reply #1865 on: June 09, 2013, 12:05:01 PM »
Thanks for the mentions guys, I think I'll give LA Noire a go and the Human Revolution one, I watched the trailer and it seems pretty good.
South Shields

Offline jman

« Reply #1866 on: June 09, 2013, 12:07:09 PM »
Aye.. I'm only 45 minutes in so far.. just reached the first proper base.. certainly chucks you in at the deep end... I was getting very confused with the controls to begin with, I accidently threw a petrol bomb at one of the survivors and set her on fire.. she survived but doesn't like me very much now lol.. its a good game.. the pop-ups are quite bad.. but you don't mind because the game is still engaging enough..  I probably wont get any time to play until tomorrow now though  :(

Offline Late

« Reply #1867 on: June 09, 2013, 01:19:50 PM »
They're as bloody menace those petrol bombs and molotovs - I've burned three friendlies with them so far.
Just realised half of my people have skills they can upgrade, which I probably should have done earlier but didn't know about.
Wish searchable stuff was better highlighted. Keep thinking I've fully searched places, only to be told there's more somewhere in the building.

Edit - predictive text
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 10:33:23 PM by Late »

Offline harv

« Reply #1868 on: June 09, 2013, 08:23:29 PM »
Sounds heavily influenced by ZombiU which is cool. Looks like there are two 'proper' zombie games on the market now, hope there's plenty more on the way! ;D

Offline stupac

« Reply #1869 on: June 09, 2013, 11:16:45 PM »
Did anyone have freezing problems with Skyrim? If so do you know any ways to fix it?

I've not really had any problems until last night when it froze and now it will play and then freeze after I've walked for a while and sometimes freezes when I try to fast travel somewhere. Bloody frustrating as I can't even play it now.

I've tried deleting a load of stuff and I've got 10k MB of space so it can't be that could it? I tried turning off the 'save on travel' but nothing.

Any help would be welcome :)
Arcadia Bay | FKA The One United

Offline Late

« Reply #1870 on: June 10, 2013, 10:21:34 AM »
Definitely not getting Call of Duty this year. Definitely not getting Call of Duty this year. Definitely not getting Call of Duty this year. Definitely not getting Call of Duty this year. Definitely not getting Call of Duty this year. Definitely not getting Call of Duty this year. Definitely not getting Call of Duty this year. Definitely not getting Call of Duty this year. Definitely not getting Call of Duty this year. Definitely not getting Call of Duty this year. Definitely not getting Call of Duty this year. Definitely not getting Call of Duty this year. Definitely not getting Call of Duty this year. Definitely not getting Call of Duty this year.

Keep telling yourself that, Late.

Damn but it does actually look pretty good, though.

State of Decay patch coming soon.

Fixes a number of problems - including:
the game permanently insisting there are too many infestations (it'll now just count those near your home);
your main people sometimes dying while you're logged out of the game; and
workshop repairs taking one in-game day instead of one real life day.

Hope the patch passes certification soon...

Offline AVFCRoss

« Reply #1871 on: June 10, 2013, 07:11:28 PM »
Xbox One confirmed at £429, coming this November.

Offline jman

« Reply #1872 on: June 11, 2013, 09:17:55 AM »
Hmm ok, I started State of Decay up again.. I only did 45 minutes to get to the first base.. and apparently two of my survivors died since I last played.. hmm - not liking that too much.. I don't even know who they were.. and considering I haven't been given the option to increase my base defense yet.. I'm not sure how I could of prevented that.

Having a persistent world is fine.. but that's fucked up my morale in camp already and I've barely started the bleeding game!!  >:( 

Offline Late

« Reply #1873 on: June 11, 2013, 10:38:58 AM »
Aye, tis frustrating, that - I had exactly the same thing near the start of the game. I've taken to backing up my data to memory stick on a night, just in case. Apparently it works out how long since you played last and throws a number of events into the mix next time you start the game up (presumably using an algorithm that includes time, population, defences, etc.) If I turn the game on tonight to find someone died through the day I'll restore last night's backup to the HDD and boot into that - and today's events will effectively be recalculated. Some might call it cheating, but I see it as a sensible precaution. I don't particularly mind if I lose one or two people (I think I have 17) when I'm AFK, but there's always the possibility my entire camp might be wiped out.
That's one of the things being addressed in the patch.

A few tips and possibly a few minor spoilers follow...

I scrapped all of my outposts last night. Decided I've been using them in the wrong way so far.
They serve a number of different purposes. They have defences around them, so they're a safe place for your people and they kill hoards that get too close. They're a place to access your locker when you're out and about. And they generate resources.
I think my new set-up makes the most of them - though I'm still learning...
I have 8 outposts. Four of them surround my base and are very close (their radius overlaps with the home radius while traps etc. are activated). Those four mean hoards can't really get near my base, and my people are safe within a hundred metres or so of camp. Another two are pretty close to home, and touch those first four, going off in the direction of the most houses. They offer some protection to my people as they wander the main roads near home. The final two are quite a long way from home and serve a different (dual) purpose. They're a place to access my locker when I'm far from home, and they generate resources that aren't available in my neighbourhood.
Where possible try to put outposts in buildings where there's either a large (or medium) stash of resources, or where there's two (or three) different resources up for grabs. Great for keeping your supplies topped up, and they'll last a lot longer before then run out.
Don't manually take resources from a place you'll be using as an outpost. If you leave them in place I think they'll supply your base for a lot longer than if you grab the gear and take it home.
Don't spend too much time/resource building up the church. You'll be abandoning it before long. (When you do leave, make sure you go to the biggest place you can find.)
Don't request runners to pick up resources from a building unless you're pretty certain they'll get there and back safely (so only do it if you're quite close to home and the running will mainly be through territory you "own"). If you don't you'll find they keep going missing or dying. I swear they wait until you're not looking then actively seek out and run into the middle of as many hoards as they can find.
Stash badly damaged cars in a carpark within a couple of blocks of your home, rather than abandoning them in random useless places. You'll be able to repair some or all of them later. It's time consuming, but worth it as cars soon become a scarce resource.
Try to keep a car nearby when exploring new places. You probably won't need it, but if the shit hits the fan you'll be bloody grateful for it.
Keep an eye on your peoples' skills page (the tab with a star on it). If you've levelled someone up a bit you can scroll down that page and tweak their abilities somewhat. As you progress you get more options in there.
Always keep a "distraction" on you when you leave home - firecrackers, alarm clock, doll, etc. If you're getting swarmed and need a breather drop one of these and get the hell outta there. (Then jump in your nearby car and mow the buggers down, natch.)
I like to keep meds on all of my people, but I don't bother with snacks (so I'm prioritising vitality but not stamina) - but that's just a personal preference.

I've stripped a lot of properties near me completely bare of resources, and I'm wondering if that was a bad idea, now. Possibly would've been better to use them as outposts, and then move the outpost elsewhere when the building has been bled dry. (Destroying outposts is a dangerous business, mind. I don't think there's a way to be certain which one you're destroying when you click the button. Destroy erm ... shit, I know the one I want to destroy is a food producer and I can see outposts 3 and 4 are my only two food producers - but which is which? Destroy outpost 3 please xbox. Damnit, that's the wrong one.)

Offline jman

« Reply #1874 on: June 11, 2013, 08:11:56 PM »
Passed on playing State of Decay tonight - still fucked off with losing survivors without doing owt!

So started on Tomb Raider and boy what a game.. its great.. I absolutely love it already.. must be about 2 hours in.. and I can see myself 100%'ing the single player portion of the game.. why the fuck does it need a multiplayer aspect though - its just bullshit.

Edit:  Must be about 4-5 hours into Tomb Raider now and its still impressing.. love this game.. achievements are multiplayer heavy though.. which I still think is stupid.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:01:14 AM by jman »