https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 684490 times)

Offline harv

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #3915 on: September 04, 2018, 11:47:24 AM »
How powerful are you going to go when you build it? Always best to go for the most powerful PC you can afford imo.

Then you can throw away your rubbish Xbox and become a member of the PC Master Race  8) :P 8)
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline jman

« Reply #3916 on: September 04, 2018, 03:05:05 PM »
It only needs to be powerful enough to play Shenmue 3 - I won't be going crazy - saying that, the plan is to buy my mates PC - he said he'd sell it to me for £400 - he's had it for around 5-6 years, but it was cutting edge then.  I think he's waiting for AMD/Intel to get off their arse and make something new that is worth upgrading to himself.

I'm surprised Two Point Hospital wasn't released on consoles.. but then it is Sega who are a bit weird - its rare to get a decent full-blown PC exclusive these days.. even Jurassic World Evolution (which is in the same vein as 2PH) was released on consoles, and although I haven't played it, the control scheme is supposed to be pretty good.

Before you start on how great the PC is and how many exclusive games it has.. Red Dead Redemption 2 - good luck playing that on your pc.

Offline harv

« Reply #3917 on: September 04, 2018, 08:16:25 PM »
If it's not in VR I'm not interested. Flat gaming really is dead to me now. It would be like driving a Ferrari and then going back to riding a rusty old push bike lol :o ;D ;D ;D

I can't see myself going back to flat gaming again tbh.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline harv

« Reply #3918 on: September 04, 2018, 10:39:38 PM »
I have died and gone to  heaven!!!

That's Quake 1 and 2, Doom and now Wolfenstein 3D in VR. Fucking fantastic. 8)

All I need now is Rise Of The Triad and Duke Nukem 3D and I'll be a VERY happy bunny! ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #3919 on: September 05, 2018, 04:49:30 PM »
The ray tracing shown for the new Nvidia GeForce RTX GPUs is VERY impressive looking. Not impressive enough for me to upgrade to the 20s GPUs though, they're taking the piss with the prices and my awesome 1080 is quite happily eating everything I throw at it with supersampling at 1.5 too.

I might upgrade when the 21s are out though depending on what specs are needed for the Rift CV2.

I also want to get a Yaw VR motion simulator at some point too, hopefully they're going to get funding so that they can move production from Hungary to China which should bring the price of the thing down. I'm currently saving up for one with the hope of getting one next year.

Elite Dangerous in VR with one of these things is going to be fucking CRAZY lol :o ;D ;D ;D

I've always wanted a motion simulator, should bring space sims, flight sims and driving sims - which are already fucking amazing in VR - to a whole other level. All going well I should be able to afford to get one in November next year.

Offline harv

« Reply #3920 on: September 05, 2018, 07:06:25 PM »
Omfg. Speculation is rife that Frontier, the developers of Elite Dangerous, are in pre-production of bringing space legs to the game. One of the developers has dropped a few 'legs' comments and mentioned it's a new era coming up.

It's still pretty far away though, probably a year at least. Some people are also speculating that we're going to be seeing landings on atmospheric planets too but I think we're a LONG way from seeing that.

Offline harv

« Reply #3921 on: September 05, 2018, 07:14:31 PM »
Didn't read the forum post properly, it's gone from pre-production to full production!!! Still probably a year away I think.

Offline harv

« Reply #3922 on: September 14, 2018, 01:25:52 PM »
Well I'm more than a little pissed off at the moment. CBS, the owners of the Star Trek TNG IP appear to have killed off a developer's recreation of the Enterprise from the series. There was a flat version and a VR version. Luckily someone on Reddit is sending me the latest version, version 0.9, because I hadn't downloaded any updates (0.6) in ages.

Such a shame when copyright holders kill projects like this. They weren't making any money on it after all. If anything CBS should have paid them a small fortune for the rights to it so that they can release it officially. Nintendo are another one that tends to kill off good quality fan projects like this too.

Offline harv

« Reply #3923 on: September 22, 2018, 12:32:43 AM »
SKSE VR is working well now apparently and someone has managed to fix the Save/Load bug in SkyUI VR too. Hopefully if things keep progressing well I'll be able to play Skywind and Skyblivion some time next year in VR. Skywind in particular is going to be amazeballs  8)

I'm REALLY missing playing Skyrim VR but have kept myself busy playing seated games such as Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice and Elite Dangerous in VR. Next up is Chronos I think.

Hopefully I'll be able to get back to Skyrim VR in 5 weeks or so ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #3924 on: September 27, 2018, 05:43:37 PM »
I've been disappointed with Oculus Connect 6 yesterday. The Oculus Quest looks great but I was expecting another tease for the CV2 like we had at F8 in May. So basically we're now looking at 2020 for the release of the next Oculus Rift. Some people are speculating that it might not even be released until 2021 or 2022.

There's no way I'm using a 1K VR headset for another 3 bloody years!!! :o

We'll find out more next year I guess at F8 in May or Oculus Connect 6 in September/October. If it's looking like 2021 or 2022 I'm going to get myself a Pimax 5K+ I think.

Offline harv

« Reply #3925 on: October 05, 2018, 07:37:10 PM »
Here's my first finished corner piece for my modular corridors:

As I mentioned in the Arcade Machine thread I was planning on putting some text, handles, vents etc on the yellow engineering panels at the bottom but the texel density is too low so it looks pixelated.

Now I need to save these individual Materials as Smart Materials so that I can quickly finish the other pieces.

Then up next is the ships, storage containers (already done ages ago!), shipping containers and various props for the docking bay which is the opening playable scene of my game.

Haven't been able to do much work on my game this year so far because I've been having a particularly bad time with anxiety and depression but I managed to put in a couple of days this week which is great. I hadn't gone anywhere near it for ages.

My plan is to get something playable (a Pre-Alpha) and then put it on itch.io which is an indie developer's website, some time early next year. You need to have released SOMETHING before Oculus accept you into their Oculus Start programme which I'm hoping to be able to apply for early next year once I have that Pre-Alpha up and running.

And once Oculus accept developers into their Start programme they give them a free Oculus Rift and a free Oculus Go to develop with. Once they do that I can give my current Rift to my mate and his family in Margate who've been very good to me over the last 20 years or so. He was just made redundant and got a new job that isn't paying as much so he can't afford to get one himself, and he was gobsmacked when he tried mine out earlier this year.

Offline harv

« Reply #3926 on: October 07, 2018, 12:27:21 PM »
Have uploaded it to SketchFab now, so you can all zoom in and view it at all angles if you want. If you have a Google Cardboard device you can also see it in VR too. ;D

Be aware though that for some reason SketchFab doesn't replicate Roughness (how shiny something is) properly so things tend to look shinier than they should be.

Edit: Forgot the link!

https://sketchfab.com/models/0690fa6a21cb4af3b647cd0c32e99f13

Offline jman

« Reply #3927 on: October 25, 2018, 12:25:12 PM »
Forgot RDR2 comes out tomorrow.. so pre-ordered it today via prime.... and taken Monday and Tuesday off work lol.

Offline harv

« Reply #3928 on: October 26, 2018, 12:39:26 AM »
I finished my seventh and final corridor piece around a week ago. You can see them all here:

https://sketchfab.com/hsetterfield/models

I ended up deleting my multitude of sofas because they weren't good enough and accidentally deleted that corner I uploaded ages ago so that link above doesn't work. I'm going to redo all of those tables and bedside cabinets too but am going to keep the old ones on my hard drive because they might come in handy for future projects.

I haven't done anything else for a week because I haven't been feeling up to it but hopefully during the next few weeks I'll be able to get back to things.

I might start messing around with the procedural generation system I bought from the Unreal Marketplace a while back and see how things go just using those corridor pieces and some placeholder rooms. I think I might need to change the center point of the bottom of the floor of those corridor pieces to Maya's origin (0,0,0) otherwise rotations won't work properly I think. Currently the origin point is in the bottom left corner. If I change it then it should rotate the modular pieces without translating (moving) them.

All of those corridor pieces are under a thousand polys so performance shouldn't be a problem. 8)

Offline harv

« Reply #3929 on: October 28, 2018, 02:18:15 PM »
Have just bought the Resident Evil 7 Gold Edition from CDkeys for £9.99...now I've done that we'll probably see Capcom releasing a VR version on Halloween lol ;D

Am going to use VorpX to play it, there's a little ghosting on the weapons and hands apparently but apart from that it works really well in VR using VorpX. Going to play it on Halloween I think 8)