https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 681575 times)

Offline harv

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #3165 on: April 29, 2015, 10:19:01 PM »
The PlayStation Plus games have been a bit pants for a few months :(
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Late

« Reply #3166 on: April 30, 2015, 01:39:36 PM »
MS HoloLens demo at BUILD

https://youtu.be/3AADEqLIALk

Damn but that's impressive!
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #3167 on: April 30, 2015, 09:30:25 PM »
Pretty awesome,  but he did look like a bit of a dick with the glasses on

Offline Late

« Reply #3168 on: May 01, 2015, 09:56:59 AM »
Yeah, but I won't realise what a dick I look when I wear one as I'll have installed an app that overlays Brad Pitt's face over my face&visor whenever I wander near a mirror. Should be do-able.

Will be a shame to look that ugly compared to my normal handsome self, of course, but I'll get over it.

Actually, screw that. I'm having Michelle Keegan's full body overlay.
They reckon VR/AR is mainly for gamers, but I reckon perverts (i.e. the average bloke) will get a lot out of it too!
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline Late

« Reply #3169 on: May 01, 2015, 10:02:11 AM »

Offline harv

« Reply #3170 on: May 01, 2015, 12:12:04 PM »
Looks pretty cool, hopefully there's not going to be any sort of delay to it. Going to be VR for me though, the whole point of something like this (for me personally anyway) is to get away from your living environment...certainly in terms of gaming applications anyway, actually being in the game itself.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Late

« Reply #3171 on: May 01, 2015, 12:26:04 PM »
Yeah, full VR is probably going to be better for gaming than AR (though an AR headset should of course be perfectly capable of doing full VR) - but it depends on the game. For driving and flight sims VR is going to be spot on. Things where you're not moving, but you want to be able to look around you - while the controls stay in front of you.
I'm not so sure about FPSs etc though. Could be sickeningly disorienting to turn using controls and have your whole vision change without moving your body (but we'd probably get used to it, and it might even feel instinctively "right" right from the get-go).

AR should be great in gaming - but it's the non-gaming applications where it could excel.
If everyone has AR headsets then TVs and tablets are completely dead. Why put a tv in your front room if you can watch all of your favourite shows on a massive (and fully adjustable) virtual TV screen that either floats in front of your eyes or is temporarily pinned to any wall. Why pick up a tablet to browse the internet and play a few simple games in a small screen when you can do the same thing in a virtual window that only you can see.

AR is the future. (Lets pretend Google Glasses never existed!)

Offline harv

« Reply #3172 on: May 01, 2015, 05:35:53 PM »
It will be capable of doing full VR...but don't expect more than a few FPS lol :o ;D ;D ;D

AR is still pretty cool with games though, it's really annoying that developers for the 3DS haven't taken advantage of it more. The only game I can think of that uses it is Bravely Default right at the start. You have the crumpet that gets grabbed from where you're playing into another dimension. It's really cool for a geek like me...fisrt time I've had a woman in my bedroom for years lmfao :o ;D ;D ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #3173 on: May 01, 2015, 05:39:48 PM »
Oh! And Face Raiders which comes with the 3DS. You take pictures of people's faces and it turns them into baddies for you to shoot lol. I had my face, Georgie Porgie and my big ginger nut, Mr Rufus Roughpaws. Might have to go back and play that again now I'm thinking about it, it's surprisingly good entertainment lol. ;D ;D ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #3174 on: May 01, 2015, 10:09:18 PM »
There was a US only Nintendo Direct last week that I totally forgot to watch until now. I really don't know how Monolith Soft do it, this really shouldn't be possible on the Wii U's hardware...and the same could have been said about the first game on the Wii too. The scale of both games is completely ridiculous and if this game is anything like the first there's going to be virtually NO loading times :o :o :o

You've got a maximum of 4 or five seconds for the first game, and that doesn't happen that often :o

Am pretty sure that they've made some deals with the Devil to make this all possible lol ;D ;D ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #3175 on: May 02, 2015, 11:34:45 AM »
So much for HoloLens being the dog's bollocks >:( :( >:(

Maybe they're going to fix this before it releases otherwise it's going to be about as useful as a chocolate tea pot unless you're viewing small items or large items from a distance. :-\

Offline jman

« Reply #3176 on: May 06, 2015, 08:59:14 AM »
Xbox games with gold for May:

Xbox One CastleStorm: Definitive Edition

Takes a while to complete the campaign.. I've nearly done all 4.. but I must have logged at least 10 hours on it I reckon.. to be honest, its not even that good a game.. but there is something that is somewhat addictive about it.. It could of been so much better though.

Don't really fancy playing it online.. and some of the achievements can go to hell.. but I think I've got another good couple of hours left it in yet.

I think I'm done with Sunset Overdrive... cracking game.. really enjoyed it.. haven't tried out the online mode because I can't get a game.. definitely recommend though.

So it'll be back to Watchdogs for a bit... which I'm a bit annoyed about because its a bit shite.

Offline Late

« Reply #3177 on: May 06, 2015, 10:58:24 AM »
Quite enjoyed Watch Dogs, once I got into it (once I got used to the controls, and my timing got better when it came to raising barriers to stop pursuers, etc.)
Will get it's sequel. Watch Dogs 2 hasn't been announced but it's inevitable - and I recall there was a kinda leak that it's on its way a few weeks ago (some programmer had it listed on his CV, or something like that).

I do wish they'd set it somewhere without guns, though. With all the fancy hacking tools at your disposal it's often easier to just ignore them and get the mission done using ordinance.
I've seen people saying it should've been set in London, for instance. Loads of CCTV and other tech, but not many guns.

Pfft. If you want somewhere with lots of cameras you need to be setting the game in my particular neck of the woods. I recall reports a while back saying Middlesbrough has more CCTV cameras per person than any other town in the world. Some of them even talk to you thanks to speakers connected to a mic in CCTV monitoring/control. (In fact the glut of cameras spawned a Robert Carlyle film called The Tournament.)

There's no shortage of crime, too, (which arguably demonstrates CCTV has little effect on crime rates) so you can play vigilante to your heart's content.

And of course with the local smog you won't look out of place with a bandanna covering your lower face.

I can see it now.

Coming Holiday 2016:

Offline harv

« Reply #3178 on: May 06, 2015, 12:02:32 PM »
They don't talk to you at all...you must remember to take that medication! :o :P ;D

Offline jman

« Reply #3179 on: May 06, 2015, 12:48:28 PM »
Oh dear  :-X ;D