https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 681854 times)

Offline jman

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #3450 on: February 25, 2016, 08:47:42 AM »
Even with the DK2 you can get out of your car in a driving sim you can get out and walk around your car to check it out or take in a view.

You try to make that sound impressive - (even without the following caveat statements that you failed to mention) - its not!

1) Whilst you can stand up and sit down.. positional tracking all relies on being in range of the sensor.  even with the CV1, 10-12 feet away is the maximum - so you must have a small car if you can walk around it since even a Mini Metro is 11 feet in length.
2) This also requires the sensor being able to see the headset.. an object blocking its view will stop all positional tracking.
3) You are also restricted by the tethered wire that runs to the back of the headset, spin around a few times and its tangle-time.
4) There is still no body tracking.. only head tracking - you can't actually do anything whilst you are out of the car - which begs the question.. what's the fnarging point?

Like I said.. VR tech might take off in the near future.. by that point though the specs/experience are going to be wildly different.. I'm happy to wait for now.. nothing you say is going to change my mind because I've seen all I need to see.. Vive.. Oculus - they are more of a toy/gadget - in terms of gaming - I just don't find them that impressive.

And in response to the games list that you claim are all native VR games - I could only find War Thunder on the official Oculus Store... go figure!

Offline harv

« Reply #3451 on: February 25, 2016, 05:52:35 PM »
All of those other games - plus Euro Truck Simulator 2 and American Truck Simulator which I forgot to mention - are available through Steam. They're not non-native just because they happen to not be available in the Oculus Store, not too sure where you got that bizarre idea from tbh :-\

I personally don't think that Room Scale VR is going to take off, even if during the next few years we get wireless HMDs. Great if your gameplay area in real life matches the game environment size but if it's bigger developers have to use a teleportation mechanic to move to different areas, breaking immersion, and if you've moved forward to the edge of the real life space you'll need to turn around and walk back again.

Plus the majority of gamers are fat lazy fuckers that can't be arsed to get out of their armchairs lol :o ;D

Apps like Medium and Tilt Brush will work great when standing up and moving around but I just can't see that many traditional games benefiting from Room Scale VR.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline harv

« Reply #3452 on: February 26, 2016, 08:29:32 PM »
Apparently a journalist has managed to bung a Vive CV1 on some scales and it weighs 555g :o

That's not too good :-\

The Rift is supposed to be a lot lighter, can't imagine that many people playing extended sessions with the Vive if it's that heavy. :o
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline harv

« Reply #3453 on: February 29, 2016, 09:22:13 PM »
Bloody hell, have just had a look at Vive pre-orders. The price of the Vive is £689 but they want £57.60 on top of that for shipping :o

They're getting free shipping in the States :o

I guess if you wait for Amazon UK to start selling it you'll end up getting it for £689, but that's still £190 more expensive than the Rift. :-\
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 11:33:48 PM by harv »

Offline harv

« Reply #3454 on: March 02, 2016, 04:35:41 PM »
AWESOME FUCKING SAUCE :o

He's using those Razer Hydra thingies at the moment but he has said that he'll probably work on Vive and Touch controllers when they release. Leap Motion would be a great idea too seeing as that's as cheap as chips to buy now ;D

Offline jman

« Reply #3455 on: March 04, 2016, 08:48:01 AM »
Downloaded a game called Clockwork Tales : Of Glass and Ink.  The steampunk setting and puzzle mechanics sold the game to me and they are top notch.. works in the same vein as Professor Layton.

Cost £8 - probably worth about £2 in honesty.. storyline will take about 2.5 hours to complete and little to no replayability factor.. was fun while it lasted though.

Offline harv

« Reply #3456 on: March 04, 2016, 11:33:48 AM »
No Man's Sky is looking phenomenal :o

Offline jman

« Reply #3457 on: March 11, 2016, 08:43:23 AM »
Pretty much finished Far Cry Primal.. to be honest.. its nowhere near as good as FC3 or FC4.. I missed the guns within a few hours gameplay and had to push my way through the early parts of the game which aren't the easiest nor most exciting - once I got into the swing of the game and accepted that the bow/spear/club weapons were pretty much all I was going to get and had a few upgrades under my belt - it became a bit more enjoyable. 

The best parts of the game (by far) was taming the animals.. but I managed to tame the special rare animals very early on which made the rest of the game far too easy.. having the bloodfang sabretooth tiger by your side for example stopped any other animal trying to fuck with you.. and coupled with the owl.. I could take down a "Very Hard" fort without actually stepping foot inside it.

Got a few achievements which will add a little longevity to the game.. but at 21hrs in with 75%+ total game completed... it feels more like an expansion than anything.

Pre-ordered Quantum Break which is out in April and Doom which is out in May... probably try and get through some of the free Gold games in the backlog until then.

Offline harv

« Reply #3458 on: March 11, 2016, 04:18:29 PM »
Elite Dangerous has FINALLY had confirmation of Rift support on launch day. Awesome sauce for those lucky enough to be getting them then ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #3459 on: March 11, 2016, 06:45:34 PM »
If the latest rumour is to be believed then NVidia have gone insane :o

Apparently their 1070 and 1080 GPUs are going to be released in May. Intelligent decision, means that those people wanting a new GPU for VR can get one soon after the Rift and Vive launch.

Why have they gone insane, I hear you ask..? Because they're both going to have only 8GB of GDDR5. GDDR5 VRAM was great in its day but now you have GDDR5X and HBM2 available which has FAR superior memory bandwidth.

It has to be bullshit, I can't believe that NVidia would be this stupid. :o :-\ :o

The Polaris GPUs are expected to be using either GDDR5X or HBM2 and will probably have 16GB. That, combined with Asynchronous Shading will mean that they'll absolutely obliterate any Pascal GPU except the 1080 Ti which is expected to have the same VRAM.

Will have to wait and see I guess :-\

Offline Late

« Reply #3460 on: March 12, 2016, 10:14:25 PM »
You should send nvidia your CV.

Waiting for the big tech companies to headhunt you as special consultant doesn't seem to be working.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #3461 on: March 13, 2016, 01:21:43 AM »
To put this into perspective, if NVidia and AMD were producing cars then NVidia would be releasing a Porshe where the acceleration pedal only went down halfway and AMD would be releasing a Porshe with not just a fully working pedal but also a larger petrol tank.

These rumours have to be a load of old bollocks. ??? :-\ :(

AMD are having a reveal of something involving their good selves, HTC, Oculus and Crytek on Monday at around 9pm.

I'm hoping that Crytek are going to announce that they're going to have Return To Dinosaur Island as a full game but they're probably too busy working on The Climb I reckon, at least to have something else available for the Rift and Vive on launch day.

They're already working on Robinson The Journey for PSVR, but maybe they'll re-use the assets and create a dinosaur game for the Rift and Vive..?

Offline jman

« Reply #3462 on: March 16, 2016, 08:35:09 AM »
Sony announced PSVR is going to release in October for $399

Great price point and releasing this year - I don't know what games are scheduled for it.. but if they don't have a ton of games - sales will suffer.. regardless of it being much cheaper than the other options.

Offline harv

« Reply #3463 on: March 16, 2016, 11:50:15 AM »
The Future Of Gaming ;D ;D ;D

Yup, it's a decent price (although those of us unlucky enough to live in the UK will get shafted as usual and pay £349) but doesn't include the camera or Move controllers. They're having a separate bundle that includes everything but no mention of a price for that yet.

I think that both HTC and Oculus will be happy with that because it's important for the VR industry to have an affordable mainstream option for consumers which will drive VR adoption. We'll end up seeing plenty of multiplatform games with the PSVR as the lead platform and ports to the Rift and Vive.

Offline harv

« Reply #3464 on: March 24, 2016, 06:22:34 PM »
Fucking hell, there are PS3, 360 and Wii U emulators being worked on :o

The PS3 emulator in particular is looking VERY impressive so far since they switched to DX12, the framerates have gone through the roof apparently ;D 8)