https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 681642 times)

Offline jman

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #2970 on: November 13, 2014, 08:21:41 PM »
As tempted as I am to open MCC which turned up today.. its going back to Zavvi as they wont refund me the extra £5 I paid.. apparently because I applied a discount on pre-ordering.. my price no longer falls inside their pre-order price promise.  So even though the pre-order price minus the discount was more expensive than their list price with no discount.. they refuse to refund me the difference.

So if I had cancelled my pre-order and re-ordered it, I would of got the lower price... unacceptable that I have to do that, especially since they didn't even get the fucking product to me on time given 5 months notice..  so I'm processing a return with them now and I'll get my money back that way... I'm done with them... I've just ordered it again from ebay for £39.99... what a joke, its not the price that is the issue but the principle  :o

« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 08:23:41 PM by jman »

Offline Late

« Reply #2971 on: November 14, 2014, 10:30:09 AM »
Open it, play it, and when you get your copy from ebay send that one back to Zavvi for your refund.

You might be best off looking mainly at the campaign to start with, rather than the multiplayer. I've not actually tried the multiplayer yet but I've heard reports it's borked.
Not a problem for me (so long as they get it fixed in the next few weeks) as I definitely want to play the campaigns at least once each. Played most of them when they first came out but can't really remember them - and I keep getting lost. And dying. Lots. And exploring, and doing daft things like taking vehicles to silly places that vehicles shouldn't be going to.

Par time 15 minutes for most of the levels I've looked at so far (Halo 1, levels 1-6). My time usually around 2-3 hours...

Thoroughly enjoying myself, but I wish there was a run button. This guy moves so slowly (having spent most of my gaming time in recent years playing COD and Titanfall).

Won't be online much this weekend - cos I'm off to Wembley. Woot! :D
A mate bought first class train tickets, tube tickets, match tickets, and hotel - but can't make it, so said he'd prefer I go rather than the tickets just going in the bin. (I hate that I'm benefiting from a death in his family, mind! :( )
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline Late

« Reply #2972 on: November 14, 2014, 10:39:47 AM »
Have managed to get a shitload of Model Packs for FPS Creator so when I'm feeling up to it I'm going to do another online multiplayer game if you guys fancy giving it a go..?

Might use FPS Creator Reloaded instead though, it uses a new engine which performs a lot better and also lets you use explosive weapons.

Can't believe it was around 9 years since I did the last one :o We had a lot of fun with that last one.

Will happily take a look, mate.

Not sure if this is any use to any of you folks interested in making games... I posted it on here in January, in it's own thread, but I had a link in the first post which means it needs to be approved by a moderator. Not sure if we have mods on here these days, but that thread's still awaiting a moderator ten months down the line.
http://gamemakerblog.com/2013/11/25/gamemaker-studio-standard-edition-is-currently-free-50-value/
Was supposed to be free for a short time, but looks like it's now permanently free.

Not sure any of you would be interested, but development tool "GameMaker: Studio" (used to create the likes of "Hotline Miami" and "Gunpoint") is currently free for a limited time. Usually about £40.

gamemakerblog
dealspwn
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #2973 on: November 14, 2014, 11:44:54 AM »
I'm happy to wait until the ebay one turns up now.. to be honest, with the matchmaking bugs and the fact I'm gonna be pretty busy over the weekend.. its no biggie to wait until Monday to start playing it now.  I would like to 100% Defense Grid 2 first aswell otherwise I'll never go back to it - I think I'm about 20-30 gold medals short of 100 at the moment.  I've finished the campaign on normal/hard.. just going through it again playing each story missions twice (once on easy, then again on elite)... I can see some of the later elite levels being a right pain in the arse.  Volgarr the Viking can fuck right off though.. its so tough.. I cant get past the 2nd level boss at the moment, and its too much hassle having to replay the whole fucking thing just to die again in the same spot a hundred times.

I'd definitely recommend jumping in with me on MCC (once they have sorted matchmaking out) before trying it out online.. I can imagine you getting your arse handed to you on a plate otherwise lol  ;)

Offline harv

« Reply #2974 on: November 14, 2014, 04:43:40 PM »
First time that Xbox owners are getting the chance to play the online multiplayer for the first game that PC owners got to play the first time around. I was seriously addicted to that donkey's years ago. :o

Halo 1 and Counter Strike took up A LOT of my time in those days 8)

And I was pants at both lmfao :-[ ;D ;D ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Late

« Reply #2975 on: November 14, 2014, 06:52:30 PM »
Just had one quick game online on Halo.
3 kills and 10 deaths. I rock.

In my defence I was playing splitscreen, with one of the kids, and I'm sure I wouldn't done better if I was full screen - but that was pretty weak any way you look at it!

Offline jman

« Reply #2976 on: November 17, 2014, 07:39:56 AM »
I hear matchmaking is getting fixed on Wednesday... just in time, I should receive my 2nd copy tonight.. although FC4 has already been posted aswell.

I realised on Saturday that the 100 gold medals on Defense Grid 2 only count once per difficutly.. so the fact I've finished the story missions 3 times over (on different difficulties) was for nothing  ::)  So I actually only have about 50 medals now... but I completed killing 50k aliens plus I've done all the multiplayer achievements already.. so I think that's going to have to be put on the back burner for now.

Offline jman

« Reply #2977 on: November 17, 2014, 06:10:37 PM »
Oh yes.. I'm back in the game.. just waiting on it to finish the install and I'm jumping straight into MCC multiplayer.

First thing I did when I started playing the campaign was to change the stupid controller settings.  Funny that it doesn't start on the "Default" setting.. which is the most comfortable to me... doesn't feel natural reloading with Right Bumper at all.

So I've played the first Halo:CE campaign level.. been there, done that level so many times lol..
Played half of the first Halo 2 level.. but itching to play MP now.. so just waiting it out... it taken 2 hours, 10 minutes so far.. but nearly all installed.

Got my emblem sorted.. gone back to my old Halo 2 emblem and colours... even gone back to my old tag - I love the fact it allows you to do and change EVERYTHING the original games did.

Will post my first game scores tomorrow... hopefully I get a map I like and I haven't lost too much of the magic.

Offline jman

« Reply #2978 on: November 18, 2014, 07:57:51 AM »
Well bit of a mixed bag with matchmaking.. it took a while to get a game.. and then it was a 4 on 2 slayer game..  ::)  13 kills, 7 assists and 2 deaths for me..

Then I finally got a CTF game, 4 per side which was a bit more even.. I think I was on 11 kills and 10 deaths.. with a flag capture

Then I played one classic game on midship and got mullered.. didn't help my phone rang just as the game was about to start and I had to answer it, and the fact that midship is one of my least favourite levels.. we lost quite significantly but I pretty much got 1/2 of all the kills our team did

Then I couldn't get a game for love nor money.. think I wont bother with any more online matchmaking until they fix it.. such a shame as its got massive potential.  I'm enjoying the halo 2 campaign all over again though.. the cut-scenes are so good.. and I like the fact you can flip to the old game even in the cutscenes.. I don't remember it being that bad graphically.. but obviously it was  ;D

Should be getting Far Cry 4 tonight.. definitely giving that a go when I get home.. quite worrying that I don't have much hard drive space left though.. might have to invest in a hard drive for xmas.  I've got a few games I can delete off there but not many.

Offline jman

« Reply #2979 on: November 18, 2014, 08:04:41 PM »
Oh FFS.. when are developers going to realise that putting mandatory stealth parts in an FPS game sucks fucking donkey balls... was playing through FC4 quite merrily until I got to a part which requires you killing all the guards and saving two survivors - except if you get spotted, the AI suddenly deems killing the survivors more important than attacking you and you have to restart the mission unless you kill all the guards.. so I've cocked this part up so many times already - I doesn't help I started on Hard.. but I just don't have the willpower at the moment to continue on anymore tonight.

At least with FC3, if you cocked the stealth part up then you knew you probably had a long fight on its way.. but it was entirely possible to just go in guns blazing if you wanted to.

Stays true to the FC3 formula which I half expected.. the story doesn't seem half as decent... and it doesn't seem like you can break out of a mission and go wandering once you've started one.. which is very annoying.   At the moment - 2 hours in, FC3 is the better game... although I'm looking forward to seeing some of the new stuff... grappling looks like it could be fun.. and I've already whacked an ATV into the back end of a rhino  ;D

____________________________________________________________________________________

Well I completed that bit in the end.. took me about 20-30 minutes as I had to be patient with a few guards and was chucking rocks to distract them.. but this hostage thing seems to be a side mission thing as I've encountered another one which I turned down doing. 

Got on an elephant last night.. that was great fun.. charging and smashing people into the air.. its like a tank!  Also found a gyrocopter which was fun to fly around the map.  One of the low points from yesterday was getting killed by a honey badger.. fucking little thing is a bastard to kill because its so small, but it can really do some damage. 

I think there are too many animals in the game personally.. there was one point where a bunch of wild dogs killed 2 men.. and then I killed the dogs.. before I could skin them and loot the men.. a honey badger showed up.. which I used a grenade on (second time round).. went back to skinning and another pack of dogs turned up.. I had run out of bloody ammo at this point so chucked a Molotov at them.. lol... went back to skinning and another honey badger turned up.. I was just like FFS.. and just left the area in the end..
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 11:44:27 AM by jman »

Offline harv

« Reply #2980 on: November 22, 2014, 07:45:34 PM »
Lmfao, that has to be a bug, surely..? :o ;D ;D ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline harv

« Reply #2981 on: November 24, 2014, 01:28:55 AM »
Have been playing a bit more of The Swapper, it really is fantastic. I think it's also available for the PS4 and One too so you should all buy it! 8)

Offline jman

« Reply #2982 on: November 24, 2014, 08:52:59 AM »
Too busy with Far Cry 4.. its good.. the gameplay is as addictive as Far Cry 3 - but nothing really fits together.. I'm going off doing random sidequests and such.. but it doesn't really make as much sense as it all did within Far Cry 3 which for me is still by far the stronger game.. even though Far Cry 4 has a lot more content to it.

I mean there was a point to skinning animals for example, increasing the size of your weapon/ammo/loot pouches.. it fitted in with the survival storyline.. in this game.. same mechanics and everything.. but doesn't feel like I'm doing it for any other reason except that its fun killing different animals.  Same can be said of the outposts, climbing towers.. pretty much everything. 

Its like they took one absolutely excellent game and tried to sell the same game again (albeit with a different story, setting and a few other extras)... its not like Ubisoft to do that *cough cough* Assassins Creed  ::)

Offline Late

« Reply #2983 on: November 24, 2014, 12:22:35 PM »
Haven't had much gaming time lately what with one thing and another, so I've put Halo aside for a while. I need to be a bit more focussed to play that, so I've been playing a bit more Defence Grid. Like you, Kieran, I didn't realise doing a mission on both Easy and Normal didn't count as two golds, so I'm a bit behind where I thought I was in going for 100 golds. Counted them up yesterday and I think I was at about 52 golds - which is a bit disappointing. (That might not be totally accurate - it's hard to be sure how many golds you have if you have to keep flicking between difficulties - and the achievement doesn't tell you you're XX% toward completion. Will almost certainly be around 50-60 though.)

Limbo became available yesterday afternoon, so I downloaded and played through that. Cracking game, and a bit longer than I remembered it, but still easily finished in a 2ish hour sesh.
Not sure whether to go back through it for achievements. I think I found about 3 or 4 of the ten or so hidden items playing normally. Could probably find another 2 or 3 if I went looking for them, or I could use a guide. Which I don't like to do - but these buggers are worth seventy gamerscore each.
Playing through the full game in one session with less than five deaths is a big ask, though.

Enjoyed Sunset Overdrive while it was briefly available. The game didn't really appeal to me all that much before, but it's more fun than I thought it'd be. Just a shame I didn't get much chance to play it before it was disabled.
Might pick it up next year, if I see it cheap.
Ditto Far Cry 4 and Assassin's Creed Unity. Loved FC3 and have enjoyed every AC game, so I'd like to play them both, but neither sounds deserving of full price.

Offline harv

« Reply #2984 on: November 24, 2014, 12:23:57 PM »
Have never thought much of the Far Cry franchise right from the beginning tbh. Same with Crysis too. They both have always looked great but for some reason neither franchise has floated my boat. :-\