https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Downloading  (Read 19079 times)

Offline harv

Re: Downloading
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 07:47:15 PM »
Sorry to hear about your work situation mate, there's nothing worse than being unemployed imo. Hope you get something sorted soon.

Great news for fans of the Pirate Bay, it's only second to Suprnova as being the best torrent site of all-time. ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 11:04:25 PM »
Cheers Harv, got a couple of things to apply for, but I'll probably take it easy until after Christmas now. I'm quite glad to be out of the place in some ways (well in lots of ways lol).
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline jman

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 07:55:04 AM »
Yeah just heard Halo 4 was leaked onto Piratebay the other day... 3 weeks before its launch... what should Microsoft do exactly... embrace the leaks and let the thieves play it to their hearts content... LOL.. theres very little that can be done to prevent leaks or piracy beginning in the first place... it doesnt mean the authorities should embrace that.. its still a crime...  ;)

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 10:23:45 PM »
By embrace it I meant that, instead of trying to combat it in the way they have been, get smart when doing so, they could actually make more than they would have done through sales as many of the people downloading wouldn't have bought it anyway.

As for stealing stuff that is all electronic data, very difficult to do. As apple are finding out with the company that is buying people's legally downloaded music and selling it second hand. It is already being used succesfully by a company in Europe selling second hand games that way.

Apple have tried arguing that people can't sell their digital music because. A judge ruled that they can because, if they bought a CD it would still have a resale value. Whereas you can spend thousands of pounds on music online and as soon as it hits your hard disk, it becomes worthless.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19842851

The company doing the buying and selling have come up with technology that safeguards the copyright (though there will always be ways around such things).

The problem with the media companies is greed, greed, greed and more greed.

Rather than solving the problem, their attempts at legislation will make it worse and facilitate the technology being used for more crime as it becomes more widely used and knowledge of it grows.

Like it or not, they will never stop it, so they need to embrace it and find ways to make it work for them.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline harv

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2012, 12:32:06 AM »
Woo hoo!!!

The Demonoid tracker is up again, located in Hong Kong. Could have the site up and running in a few weeks hopefully. Nice 8)
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Late

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2012, 01:47:01 PM »
Result. Not all that happy with any of the alternatives.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2013, 07:41:09 AM »
So a European Commision study has basically backed up the studies done by Ivy League universities in America that donwloading doesn't really affect sales.

The European Commision stated that pirates have a negligible effect on the music industry.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/21/study-pirates-rejoice-illegal-downloading-doesnt-impact-digital-music-sales/

http://www.scribd.com/doc/131005609/JRC79605

As I have stated all along, there is a model the government could use, rather than getting ISPs to block sites (which doesn't work because there are ways around them), which would actually make the industry money from illegal downloads - which is money they wouldn;t be making even if the illegal downloads weren't taking place. So they'd be quids in.

Unfortunately they want to persist with their antiquated business model because the industry are the ones who are ripping us off.

Offline styles

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2013, 02:21:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about your work situation mate, there's nothing worse than being unemployed imo. Hope you get something sorted soon.

Great news for fans of the Pirate Bay, it's only second to Suprnova as being the best torrent site of all-time. ;D

Missed this gem of a post. Irony eh.
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2013, 09:19:06 PM »
See Virgin (and probably other ISPs) have blocked Kickass Torrents and a couple of others at the behest of the UK courts.

Takes about 5 minutes to circumvent the blocks, depending on which browser you use. With Chrome you just add one of the many free proxy servers as an addon, go to a site which gives you IP addresses to use in the proxy, turn on proxy - done (I have not looked for any proxies for Firefox, but you can probably get them).

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 10:29:37 PM »
This made me chuckle quite a bit.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/internet/movie-studios-sending-google-take-down-notices-of-their-take-down-notices-1142649

An interesting side story from that one is the fact that HBO's co-president was more bothered that downloaders weren't getting the best verion of Game of Thrones but doesn't see downloading as a threat, more of a compliment, even though Series 2 of Game of Thrones was the most downloaded TV show in 2012.

However, as he stated, it didn't affect DVD sales.

HBO's main concern with piracy appears to be people selling pirated copies, rather than people downloading it.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/internet/game-of-thrones-tops-piracy-chart-as-hbo-says-it-s-a-compliment--1141895

Offline Late

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2013, 07:58:48 AM »
Anyone got any idea where thepiratebay is hiding these days?

It seems they switched from Sweden to Greenland a few days back - but the new domain .gl looks to have been shut down already, and the old one at .se is just a holding page...
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2013, 06:37:16 PM »
You can find a list of proxies on The Proxy Bay, also this one is quite amusing lol ;D ;D ;D

Offline Late

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2013, 06:40:46 PM »
Thanks Harv

Offline harv

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2013, 08:30:38 PM »
Looks like the ISPs have been leaned on again and they've started to block some proxies and other popular public trackers like KickAss Torrents. Have found this site whilst looking for a KickAss Torrents proxy and it has links to a few of the most popular public torrent sites. 8)

Offline Late

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2013, 01:55:59 AM »
Thanks Harv. Noticed a few proxies were banned for me today (on Virgin) so saved all the proxybay sites on my computer just in case. Credit to those who are banning these sites - I don't agree with what they're doing, but they're getting their shit together lately. They'll never be able to block torrent sites to everyone, but they're making it more difficult for the layman...