https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: The Films Thread  (Read 206087 times)

Offline harv

Re: The Films Thread
« Reply #150 on: July 20, 2012, 09:35:38 AM »
Keaton was excellent, just the way Batman should be - a complete headcase driven by revenge.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline bealec

« Reply #151 on: July 20, 2012, 12:21:09 PM »
The only problem I have with Bale is his god awful Batman voice. When I watched Batman Begins and Dark Knight I thought the actors who played the villains were better then Bale as Batman. Heath Ledger's joker was amazing.

Offline Late

« Reply #152 on: July 20, 2012, 01:00:14 PM »
Heath Ledger's joker was amazing.
Too true. Watched Dark Knight yet again a week or two back (awesome on blu-ray btw) and he's fantastic. If I'm to pick a gripe with his performance the licking of the lips can be a little bit annoying. It's an understandable affectation but can draw the attention to distraction.
That's a minor quibble, though. In every other regard it's a superb performance - Ledger's portrayal of The Joker is possibly my favourite film character ever.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline Late

« Reply #153 on: July 20, 2012, 01:47:51 PM »
RIP those killed at the Dark Knight Rises screening in Denver, Colorado :'(

A nut-job dressed as Bane sprayed the crowd with machine-gun fire. Apparently people initially thought it a publicity stunt, expecting someone in a batman suit to swoop in. Early reports indicate 12 dead and over 50 injured.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline ancelotti

« Reply #154 on: July 20, 2012, 04:22:01 PM »
Just read about that, Late. Awful news.

The film itself is an excellent end to the trilogy. I'd recommend watching Batman Begins again for whoever's going to see it, as the story refers back to that quite often. Tom Hardy is great as Bane (although it's sometimes hard to know what he's saying due to his distorted voice!), but he isn't The Joker, and I think for that reason alone TDK will always be the best of the trilogy.

Definitely a great film though. Anne Hathaway is gorgeous as Catwoman! Gary Oldman is good and Christian Bale is simply awesome.

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #155 on: July 20, 2012, 09:10:17 PM »
I thought Ledger was good as the Joker, but not as good as most people seem to think. I just thought he was acting like an angry Mel Gibson on crack.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline ancelotti

« Reply #156 on: July 20, 2012, 10:20:25 PM »
His performance was definitely over-hyped as a result of his death. Still, I thought he was brilliant.

Bane is a good villain, he just seems a bit of a letdown when compared to The Joker, because he's all brawn. I think Nolan could have made it the best of the three by introducing The Riddler to add that battle of wits. Not sure how he'd have managed it though, the film is already nearly 3 hours long!

Maybe he's saving it for The Justice League when they reboot Batman AGAIN and bring in a load of other DC characters. Doesn't really make sense to me, as Superman is basically a god in tights. At least in The Avengers, they're all capable of being defeated (except maybe Hulk, but he still has a mortal form), and you could see they were visibly exhausted towards the end. I guess it just means kryptonite will making an appearance in the storyline...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 10:22:21 PM by ancelotti »

Offline harv

« Reply #157 on: July 20, 2012, 11:01:25 PM »
Glad I'm not the only one that thinks that. Jack was a better Joker imo, in fact if it wasn't for his performance in the first film Ledger's performance wouldn't have been anywhere near as good as it was. If he were still alive people wouldn't be fapping over him.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Late

« Reply #158 on: July 21, 2012, 12:58:21 AM »
Nicholson's Joker was great - but that was mainly down to great scripting. He had some fantastic lines. He didn't really have to act to pull that role off, as it's basically a variation of a character he's played umpteen times (and is possibly not a million miles off his true personality).

Ledger's Joker was in a different league. He had a wonderful script and direction, but it was his performance that made the character - playing a part vastly different to his usual roles. Completely nailed it in my opinion. His death was awful, but it didn't enhance his reputation to me at all. In fact it reduced it - I have no time for drug abusers.

Offline styles

« Reply #159 on: July 21, 2012, 01:01:51 AM »
Watched real steel tonight. Very enjoyable story. Jackman not great in the lead but overall it was a good film the entire family enjoyed.

In the spirit of spoiling endings, jackmans robot gets a draw with the mean champion robot  :-X
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #160 on: July 21, 2012, 07:41:04 PM »
In the spirit of spoiling endings, jackmans robot gets a draw with the mean champion robot  :-X

Already seen it so  :P.

But if that's the way you want to play it heh heh.  ;)
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #161 on: July 21, 2012, 07:44:17 PM »
His performance was definitely over-hyped as a result of his death. Still, I thought he was brilliant.

Ledger's Joker was in a different league. He had a wonderful script and direction ...

Seriously, playued the part as a cross between Mel Gibson as  Mad Max and Martin Riggs (when Riggs was doing his crazy routine), made even more like it by the Aussie accent.

Offline styles

« Reply #162 on: July 21, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
Loved the twist at the end of dark knight rises when bats dies but it all links back to the first film and it all makes sense.

Oops
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline jman

« Reply #163 on: July 22, 2012, 11:00:51 AM »
Lucky I saw it yesterday and actually know what happens! Great film, although the film had layers upon layers of complexity to the plot which I don't think really helped it in terms of how good the film was, it just extended the running time unnecessarily for me. Bane is a great villain, but yeah, bit hard to understand in some parts... Won't say too much more in case styles has his period again  ;D but I did really enjoy it overall

Also saw the trailer for taken 2 - I really hope it doesn't suck, it did seem a bit cheesey, especially as it looked like they have reused "that" phonecall, the first is one of my favourite action films of the last decade, so I did have to watch it again last night too, great stuff.

Offline styles

« Reply #164 on: July 22, 2012, 12:51:05 PM »
What did you think about Peter parker working for the gotham evening standard jman ?

Work hard, be nice.