https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: 3D Films..?  (Read 4296 times)

Offline harv

3D Films..?
« on: May 29, 2013, 01:47:42 AM »
Have discovered a PC app that converts 3D films ripped from Blu-Rays/DVDs into glasses-free 3D to watch on the 3DS.

The guy that wrote it has stopped updating it now which is a bit of a pain in the bum cos it's pretty buggy and doesn't work on some RIPs but it's better than nowt lol. ;D

Got any recommendations for stuff to watch..? 8)
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Late

Re: 3D Films..?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 11:15:38 AM »
The only films where I've thought the 3d particularly impressive were Avatar and Beowulf.
Unfortunately neither was a great film. And if they've been successfully converted to glasses-free 3d there's no guarantee either would be any good.

Everyone knows the merits of Avatar's 3d.
With Beowulf I'm not sure if the 3d was actually any good in retrospect, but it was 2007 and was the first of the current gen of 3d films that I'd seen - and I was impressed at the time. Arrows flying around looked particularly impressive. And seeing a naked 3d Angelina Jolie walk out of a pool toward you was something special  ;D   (Animated overlay, and with a body double, but very nice all the same. lol @ the several hundred blokes reaching out with both arms at that point. ;) )
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 11:29:34 AM »
The only films where I've thought the 3d particularly impressive were Avatar and Beowulf.

The 3D in John Carter was good, under rated film in my opinion.

The animated "Legend of the Guaridans *the Owls of Gahoul)" was good too.

3D when used to help create an immersive word, giving depth throughout the movie is good. When used poorly and mainly for big scenes with things flying around the screen it's a waste of time (and money).
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline harv

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 08:08:21 PM »
Have downloaded and converted Alice In Wonderland and Avatar so far. Unfortunately you need to split the films into ten minute pieces which is a bit of a pain in the bum, and Nintendo haven't allowed you to watch them all one after the other so you need to finish the one you've watched and then physically start the next installment. A bit of a pain but not a big deal tbh, you get a gap of a few seconds before you start the next bit.

I've also found a nice bit of software that not only converts between all of the 3D formats in existence but it also converts 2D video into 3D and it does the latter pretty well. Going to convert some classics I think - Zulu, Maltese Falcon, loads of Hitchcock films, African Queen, American Werewolf in London, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Little Shop of Horrors, Star Wars, Blade Runner...the list goes on and on. 8)

The quality isn't the best due to the resolution of the screen but definitely watchable.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline harv

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 10:32:31 AM »
Alice In Wonderland is fantastic, the 3D really works well ;D

Offline Late

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 12:30:28 AM »
I don't have a 3ds but I'm making do with what I have...

I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 02:31:15 AM »
Awesome lol ;D ;D ;D

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 12:55:46 AM »
Can tell you're close to being a Geordie by the Y I down the side of the screen.  :P

I don't have a 3ds but I'm making do with what I have...

Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline Late

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 04:58:40 PM »
Careful - I get stabby when called a Geordie ;)

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 09:07:59 PM »
Reminds me of a bloke who used to play in a football team I played for. He was from Hartlepool but we called him Geordie. Lost count of the times he said "I'm not a bloody Geordie man".