https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Touch Typing  (Read 5171 times)

Offline harv

Touch Typing
« on: September 24, 2013, 06:19:15 PM »
Can any of you do it..?

Was planning on teaching myself after years of using two or three fingers on each hand to improve my chances of getting a job when I'm well enough to get back to things but am seriously pissed off - my Dupuytren's Disease has fucked up two of my fingers on my right hand so I can't use them. They won't physically go where they're supposed to. >:(

Guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens after I have them operated on when they get bad enough to warrant the op during the next few years. Was going great with the alphabet keys, got up to an average of 16 words per minute with 99% accuracy but if I have to type a , . ? Shift or any of the shifted symbols on those keys I'm fucking screwed >:( :'(

So can you touch type, if so how fast are you with 100% accuracy..?
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline styles

Re: Touch Typing
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 09:14:42 AM »
how's the job hunting going? Sounds like you could be a right good secretary
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline jman

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 10:09:34 AM »
At 16 wpm.. I don't think he will be getting many job offers.. that's considered very slow  ;D

I actually have a GCSE in Keyboarding believe it or not (which was a glorified secretary course).  To be honest, I only took it because it was easy, I got to work with computers and there were a few hot lasses taking it too.  Turns out I was a natural.. got the highest mark in the school and finished the exam 25 minutes before anyone else!

Haven't done a typing test for a few years now.. but just used this site - http://www.typingtest.com/index1.html doing Aesop Fables for 1 minute and my score came out at 88wpm with 100% accuracy on the first go... which is actually slow for me.. I've hit over 100wpm before.. the problem with that test is that they only use 1 space after a full-stop and using 2 counts as an error.

Offline Late

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 11:59:40 AM »
Have never had lessons (in typing or in anything computer related), but gradually started using more fingers as I typed on forums etc. over the years - now use all fingers, and in the correct resting position. Surprised myself when, about 2 years ago, I carried on typing when a workmate came into my room and I was looking at him. Fuck me, I can touch type - when did that happen?!
I'm definitely not the fastest, though!

Have just done the test Kieron posted, and I got 50wpm with 2 errors (96% accurate) so adjusted to 48wpm.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 12:14:49 PM »
Well considering that's the first time I've done it I don't reckon that's too bad. Had problems with the c, v, b, n and m keys though lol. ;D

Such a fucking pain that I can't continue though, if my right hand wasn't fucked it wouldn't take me long to get that speed respectable. :'(
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline styles

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 09:18:54 AM »
I don't think he will be getting many job offers.. that's considered very slow  ;D

doubt it's the first time he's lost out on a job for being considered "very slow"
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline harv

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 04:29:41 PM »
Actually with my experience and qualifications I don't have much of a problem getting interviews and getting jobs from interviews. ;)

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 11:54:08 AM »
Well, considering I've never had a typing lesson and pretty much only use 2 fingers on each hand, I was reasonably happy with my result of 42 words per minute (adjusted because of 3 errors).

Not sure you'd consider it touch typing because of the two fingers on each hand (pkus thumb for the space bar) and the fact I get slowed down by taking a fair few looks at the keyboard (mostly for things like finding punctuation marks ).

Having a preference for the ergonomic keyboards helps as I now use two fingers on each hand as opposed to one finger on each hand lol.

Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline styles

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 12:48:07 PM »
good post drags but deduction made for spelling "plus" wrongly.

Delighted to hear you get plenty of job interviews harvey, you'll need them once the new work shy rules come in  ;)

Can't wait for all you tax dodgers to start making a contribution to society instead of sitting with your hand out and complaining about the amount you get.

The new rules haven't gone far enough if you ask me.  I would withdraw any monetary contributions at all and issue food, electric and gas vouchers.  I'd also house everyone in a commune, shared bathrooms and one bedroom only.  It'd be a bit like a shitty hotel.  Once people are motivated to improve their lot it's amazing what they are capable of.  The majority of Jeremy Kyle show types are earning so much from the govt that it doesn't make sense for them to go out and put in an 8 hour shift.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline harv

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 07:02:34 PM »
Yup, like I've said before on here I welcome the changes made with regards to benefits, particularly ESA. Since they started to tighten things up with regards to ESA I've seen less Eastern Europeans walking around with crutches they plainly don't need.

My mate that was working for Sony was made redundant and is now working for Microsoft so when I'm able to get back to things again I'll be working there. I'm also considering working for a developer rather than a publisher because it will be easier for me to branch into games design from QA. Once you're working for a publisher in QA you're pretty much stuck with two career paths - QA management or production.

I find it very annoying that these days you need a design degree to get into games design, years ago you could get by with good ideas/imagination and experience playing games so that you know what works and what doesn't in terms of gameplay...and the final product has got worse as a result imo.

Offline styles

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 10:24:30 PM »
how long you been claiming benefits?  Must be close to ten years now

Work hard, be nice.

Offline harv

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 11:12:00 PM »
Nowhere near. 5 years unfortunately. :(

Offline ancelotti

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 12:03:42 AM »
Your Draconian measures could never be implemented these days Stylesy; the world's human rights mad now!

Just tried Jman's link. Got 72 WPM with 100% accuracy. Pretty average, I guess.

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 03:06:29 PM »
good post drags but deduction made for spelling "plus" wrongly.

:P

Just tried Jman's link. Got 72 WPM with 100% accuracy. Pretty average, I guess.

You're really a girl aren't you! Does your boss get you to sit on his knee.

On the subject of benefits. While I'm very much right wing on some things, such as punishing criminals (though I don't think many of the right wing would go as far as me), I'm fairly liberal on some things.

The benefits issue is a strange one. There are those who deserve and need help, the trouble is, the system by and large punishes those and castigates them, while the real shirkers keep knocking out kids and claiming oodles in benefits.

It's also the case that the Government are very quick to criticise the British claimants, many of whom for no fault of their own are out of work (and in many cases the fault is down to the government itself), they never criticise the amount of bogus asylum seekers/economic migrants, who because of EU laws and the human rights act, take the piss out of this country having never contributed.

I'm not against the idea of getting people to work for benefits either, but not a 30 or 35 hour week just for their jobseekers allowance. If you're doing a weeks work, you should be paid the national minimum wage at least and the employers should be contributing.

Absolutely no way should the tax payer be paying for people to work for private companies, such as those being forced to stack shelves in supermarkets, helping those private companies increase their profits and see rich shareholders get richer. They aren't going to create real jobs all the while they have a steady stream of free labour.

I'm also against using them as cheap labour to replace people who have been laid off of local government jobs. It's just wrong and is not helping the unemployment issue.

THe first thing they need to sort out is the job centre system itself. No government mentions it, none of them reform it, but it is the first thing they should be doing in trying to get people back to work. At present the system actually works against those seeking work and the job centre staff target those who do want jobs with threats and forcing them to apply for completely inappropriate jobs. They have no HR experience and, as a consequence very few employers have any faith in job centres. It's why there are very few quality jobs listed on their system.

Half the problem of the "easier to find a job if you're in work" attitude is because employers see unemployed sent to them by the job centre as being there because they have to be. It's absolutely pointless sending someone to apply for a job they have no experience of, especially where they don;t have the essential criteria asked for in a vancancy notice, but the job centre do so constantly. They'd be better running like an employment agency and targeting people to suitable jobs.

That way they'd gain more faith with employers, attract more jobs (and better quality ones) to be advertised on their system and be better able to weed out the real shirkers.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline harv

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 03:58:09 PM »
Yup, well said drags. I haven't been in a Job Center for a good few years but whenever I've been unemployed they've NEVER been instrumental in my finding a job. I always go through agencies and get plenty of interviews and opportunities that way. And I was almost always the only white English person in there, including the staff. I've also found that being a white Englishman has gotten me more than my fair share of grief from black Africans working there for some reason. But of course black people can't be racist... :(

Unfortunately people that are working for their local councils that do a decent job aren't there for long, every now and then you getpsomeone that's willing to bend over backwards to help you out but then I guess they get better offers from elsewhere and then are inevitably replaced by someone who goes out of their way to make things difficult for you. >:(