https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Theological Ramblings.  (Read 17791 times)

Offline Momo

Theological Ramblings.
« on: May 30, 2012, 07:41:38 PM »
If anybody is interested enough to get through the link I am putting up, I'd be very happy to read your thoughts on it.

The arrogance of being thick as a brick.

Personally I thought it was a wee bit aggressive, but true.

Offline Dragontao

Re: Theological Ramblings.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 08:46:47 PM »
I'm with Darwin/Wallace and the likes of Dawkins.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline Momo

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 06:19:20 PM »
The Ten Commandments.

Amendments to rule book.

Offline harv

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 09:35:38 PM »
I thought Dark Matter would be mentioned in the OP. Dark Matter is very cool 8)
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline ancelotti

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 03:01:25 AM »
Athiests always seem to be pretty aggressive, but I guess they're pretty passionate about what other people think. Religious folk that try to convert you annoy me just as much. He makes some very fair points about the humility of science.

Live and let live is what I think. It's a very comfortable fence I sit on. :P Science fascinates me, although I was never any good at it at school!

The Christopher Hitchens video is good, what a wonderful orator he was. Can't stand his brother, mind.

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 03:56:36 AM »
Athiests always seem to be pretty aggressive, but I guess they're pretty passionate about what other people think.

I don't recall a group of atheists ever starting a war over atheism, or start a terrorist group because they weren't happy with bunch of atheists who might just have a different view of atheism.

On the other hand history is littered with wars fought over religion. Christiantiy tried to convert the world to Christianity. "Hey guys, let's have a little crusade". "hmm, look at all these natives in Africa/South America/wherever, they could do with a good dose of Christianity"."You damn protestants". "you damn Catholics". "Our rules are better than your rules". "our God is better than your God".

Just for the record, if any of these Gods actually existed, Buddha would kick their behinds. Have you seen how much weight that guy is packing, but then again it's the only religion where he's likely to go "you know what guys, you just have your little God war and have a nice day, I'll sit here and meditate while you do". Which probably explains his weight problem, he could have done with a little more fighting and a bit less meditating to shift some of that fat".

Most atheists don't give a rats arse about what other people think and are quite happy for them to believe what they want to believe. Richard Dawkins, as a prime example, has never threatened anyone, never wished anyone dead because of their beliefs. His passion isn't agression. On the other hand he has been threatened by religious nuts opposed to his views, not to mention numerous well wishers expressing the hope that he drops dead.

Religion has no scientific basis, it's much easier for those that believe in it to try and debunk evolutionary theory as they don;t feel they need to provide proof for their own beliefs "it just is". Creationists will point to supposed flaws in evolutionary theory, diseregarding the fact that by its very nature science is about theories being proven or disproven and new theories hypothesised as more evidence is found and knowledge expands.

There is irrefutable proof of evolution. Studies of molecular biology, genetics and cladistics have all yielded a wealth of evidence, though unfortunatley because of the nature of organic matter, the passing of time and the effects of Earth's geology, physics and chemistry, there are gaps in evolutionary history, some of which may never be closed. These gaps are waht creationists try and jump on. The claims of creationists and their criticisms of evolutionary science have been refuted thouroughly by numerous evolutionary biologists and scientists. Books by the likes of Mayr, Futuyama and many others have answered the criticisms, but these are rarely read by the wider public unless you are studying the subject of evolution. So it's easy for creationists to make their arguments with people who may not have the full scientific knowledge and only a rudimentary knowledge of evolution, to refute their claims.

A good and very concise book on evolution is "What Evolution is" by Ernst Mayr. I'd recommend it.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline bealec

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 03:18:23 PM »
Athiests always seem to be pretty aggressive, but I guess they're pretty passionate about what other people think.

I don't recall a group of atheists ever starting a war over atheism,

I do.

Offline Momo

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 03:45:49 PM »
This might seem aggressive, but I thought is was more a case of Incredulity Overload. ( the caller was a total helmet mind you)

creationist caller

Offline harv

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 05:32:51 PM »
This might seem aggressive, but I thought is was more a case of Incredulity Overload. ( the caller was a total helmet mind you)

creationist caller

Didn't think it was aggressive myself, I wouldn't mind watching a programme like that regularly. The nearest we get to that sort of entertainment is calls on Talksport every now and then. Gotta love religious nutjobs lol ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Momo

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 06:43:23 PM »
I would not classify the chap as a 'nut job', mibbies a wee bit easily led or slightly delusional.
The world is full of them, which is a bit problematic unfortunately.

Offline harv

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 07:22:11 PM »
Anyone that believes that a godhead created the world in 7 days, thinks that Adam and Eve were the very first human beings created by said godhead without them evolving from apes and that a talking snake convinced Eve to munch on an apple is the dictionary definition of the word 'nutjob'. :o

Talking of religious nutjobs, where's styles..? A good Catholic boy should be defending creationism :o :P ;D

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 08:23:47 PM »
I have absolutely no problem with people who believe in religion doing so. People are entitled to believe what they want to.

Offline ancelotti

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 10:31:15 PM »
Organised religion is the biggest sham around. I can understand individuals wanting to believe there is a higher power who looks after them though. Sometimes it gives people the confidence to do things they wouldn't otherwise do. I'm not going to go around telling them they're wrong/delusional/weak-minded. However, the more argumentative of them should leave science alone.

It is pretty comical when believers try to debunk the theory of evolution, Drags. They think just because it isn't a "law" of science it must been unproven, when laws in science are simply descriptions in the form of mathematical equations. Theories are explanations as to how things work. Think they sometimes get theory and hypothesis confused. :P

Offline harv

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 12:17:56 AM »
I have absolutely no problem with people who believe in religion doing so. People are entitled to believe what they want to.

Didn't say that people weren't entitled to believe in what they want to mate. I was just saying that anyone who truly does believe that nonsense I've just described is a nutjob, plain and simple. 8)

Offline Momo

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 01:04:28 AM »
The big question is does religion deserve respect considering the evidence available?