https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Olympics  (Read 18156 times)

Offline Late

Re: Olympics
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2012, 09:27:27 AM »
Every time one of them thanks the public and nation i want to kick John terry
Damned right.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2012, 06:30:08 PM »
John Terry isn;t the only footballer who hasn't proven to be a good role model, far from it.

I suspect that players in the past were even worse, there just wasn't the same media interest in it.

People are qucik to forget the Beckham & Rebecca Looes business, but still hold him up as a role model. I'm sure there are lots of parents who want to see their kids covered in tattoos.

The whole thing about being role models it thrust upon them by people anyway. They don't go into football choosing to be role models and if people choose to hold them upp as role models it's as much the fault of the media and those who claim they are role models for not choosing their role models more wisely.

And let's face it, MUrdoch's empire, the same company that own Sky Sports have had a vested interest in generating as much interest in footballers as possible.
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline Late

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2012, 10:21:14 PM »
My problem with Terry et al isn't that they disgrace themselves with their public shagging about. It's that they appear to have no pride in representing their country, they don't seem to put the effort in, they constantly  underperform . Compare to our Olympians, most of whom earn a pittance in comparison to professional footballers yet most seem to exert themselves to their boundaries  and are so proud to represent GB.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline styles

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2012, 06:37:26 AM »
^

What he said
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2012, 07:52:40 AM »
Except for the fact that JT does in fact take great pride in representing his country and puts the effort in. He may not be everone's cup of tea off the pitch but he puts in 100% on the pitch whether it's for club or country. Unlike many players, Rooney for example, you won't find JT doing anything but belting out the national anthem.

To single him out for this particular "offence" is ridiculous.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 07:54:21 AM by Dragontao »
Choosing which political party to vote for is like trying to decide if you'd rather have syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes.

Offline jman

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2012, 08:52:53 AM »
I agree... JT, if anything, has had more pride captaining england than anyone else in the past few decades, and his desire to win something is second to none, the fact that the english press have tried to destroy him just tells me his attitude and commitment to the cause are fantastic... styles is not even english.. so you can take his comments with a pinch of salt lol. 

Also late, you said back in the wimbledon thread that you wouldnt support andy murray because your patriotic to england... (despite murray always playing for GB in wimbledon)... however now in the olympics we have won loads of medals and done a fantastic job, you are all for the support of team GB... seems slightly contradicting does it not ??

Offline Late

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2012, 09:56:09 AM »
It's possible and perfectly reasonable to support someone one week and not another.
You don't cheer if Steven Gerard, Jermain Defoe, or Theo Walcott scores for England?

I'm more than happy to support pretty much anyone who represents Team GB. I support my local team. In some instances that means my home town, Middlesbrough. In some instances it means my country, England. In the Olympics it means the whole of Great Britain.

Of course I'm going to support all of the home nations in the Olympics. What a silly statement, Kieron.

As for the argument about a perceived lack of passion, commitment, and national pride in England footballers, feel free to substitute JT for whichever player(s) you want. There's surely players in the England squad that you think that describes perfectly.
You perhaps don't include Terry there because you support Chelsea. I include Terry because I don't like Chelsea.

(Mainly resentment about the cup finals in '97 and '98, but that's by the by...)

Offline jman

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2012, 11:12:33 AM »
It's possible and perfectly reasonable to support someone one week and not another.
You don't cheer if Steven Gerard, Jermain Defoe, or Theo Walcott scores for England?

Quite true I do cheer for those players, only when they play for england though, Murray plays for GB in wimbledon and he plays for GB in the olympics, what possible reason could someone have to only support a player in one competition and not another when they are playing for the same team/nation.... I thought it was quite a reasonable question to be honest.

As for the argument about a perceived lack of passion, commitment, and national pride in England footballers, feel free to substitute JT for whichever player(s) you want. There's surely players in the England squad that you think that describes perfectly.

If a player in the england squad showed any lack of pride or commitment, he would be castrated and chucked out of the squad.. if a player in the england squad was picked but he didnt want to play for england.. I'd call for his head definitely... I've called for rooney to be dropped.. he always underperforms playing for england.  However, I do feel every single englishman showed passion and pride during the recent Euros.. there were some players that didnt play very well, but none of them showed a lack of commitment.  Take a look at Gareth Bale if you want a lack of passion and national pride in a footballer... he didnt think team GB could win a medal so didnt want to play for them!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 11:14:41 AM by jman »

Offline Late

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2012, 12:55:56 PM »
Murray plays for GB in wimbledon and he plays for GB in the olympics, what possible reason could someone have to only support a player in one competition and not another when they are playing for the same team/nation
He plays as an individual in Wimbledon, and he plays for Great Britain in the Olympics (and the Davis Cup). If you asked him who he represents in Wimbledon he'll no doubt say Scotland - not Britain. And rightly so - I applaud his national pride. He's even gone so far as to say he supports anyone who's playing against England - and I'm lead to believe he wore a Croatia shirt when England were playing the Croats. Again, I have no problem with that - he's supporting Scotland as he should, and whilst I personally feel differently toward the home nations (I generally want them to do well, but of course I want England to beat them) that's personal preference and I've no problem with people who want to see the other home nations perform poorly.

If we had an English tennis player ranked in the top ten I'd be cheering him on at Wimbledon, and hoping he beat the Scotsman - because I'm English and I support my country.
This isn't the Grand Slam though. This is the Olympics - and he's playing for my team.

If a player in the england squad showed any lack of pride or commitment, he would be castrated and chucked out of the squad.. if a player in the england squad was picked but he didnt want to play for england.. I'd call for his head definitely... I've called for rooney to be dropped.. he always underperforms playing for england.  However, I do feel every single englishman showed passion and pride during the recent Euros.. there were some players that didnt play very well, but none of them showed a lack of commitment.  Take a look at Gareth Bale if you want a lack of passion and national pride in a footballer... he didnt think team GB could win a medal so didnt want to play for them!
Very few England players performed as well as they should have in the Euros. They often went minutes without touching the ball, match after match after match. There's having bad matches, and then there's being rubbish. If a bunch of top players are rubbish game after game then they're going to look like they're not really trying.
Or perhaps they're just not used to playing together, and need more practice. If they bothered to show up for friendlies that might help. But half the time they back out of them, usually citing medical reasons, when you know they'd be perfectly fit to play for their club and/or nation in an important competitive match.

If you're called up to play for your nation be proud and try your hardest.
Olympians don't need to be told that. Most footballers do, after they've got a few caps and established themselves in the first team...

Offline harv

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2012, 05:09:01 PM »
I used to get behind sweaty sock clubs and their sportsmen years ago because we are all British after all. But a load of sweaty sock scum cheering on Germany against England put a stop to that. It actually saddens me how things have changed during the last 30 years or so, we're nations divided these days at a time when we should really stick together.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2012, 07:23:53 PM »
Very few England players performed as well as they should have in the Euros. They often went minutes without touching the ball, match after match after match. There's having bad matches, and then there's being rubbish.

You're confusing a lack of ability with a lack of passion.

A prime example of an Olympian exactly the same, Eddie "the Eagle" Edwards. Nowhere near the standard required but still had a go and showed passion. YOu could argue that any other Olympian who fails to make the top three is the same, not as good as the other competitors, therefore must have lacked the required passion.

Sometimes it's just the case that there are better teams. We place too much stock in how good we think some of our players are individually, some are good but few are genuine world class. As a team, collectively we are nowhere near good enough. That falls as much to management and coaching.

It is not the players fault they lack the same level of ability of other teams (and not necessarily as individuals but as a team). It doesn't mean they don;t show passion or give 100% though. The same as when a lower division side plays a Premier League side and loses, it can be purely down to a gulf in calss, not a lack of passion or commitment.

Your claims that JT lacked passion or commitment at the Euros is ridiculous. Ashley Cole also had a pretty good tournament. It wasn't our defence that was the problem, it was a lack of talent in front of them.

There is also a big problem with coaching in this country. As much as I am loathe to say it, we could learn a thing or two about coaching skill into youngsters from Arsene Wenger, I certainly wouldn't object to him having some kind of role in youth development in football at a national level.

Offline harv

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2012, 02:53:40 PM »
So who do you guys reckon will get gold in the men's  football..? Brazil are obvious favourites but I reckon Mexico will get it in normal time. 8)

Looks like a good call from me, Mexico are 1 up already :o
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 03:02:29 PM by harv »
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Dragontao

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2012, 05:04:35 PM »
Brazil = great skill + crap defence + greedy players.

Should have started with Hulk.
Neymar, sublime skills but not a team player at all.
Deservedly beaten.

I've changed my mind about whether or not Hulk would be a good addition to the Chelsea team, very poweful striker, works for the team, scores and creates goals.

Sadly it looks like he'll sign for Zenit St Petersburg (  ??? ) as we won't pay Porto's asking price. Shame we can't swap Torres for him. 

Offline harv

« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2012, 05:59:33 PM »
Had a free bet of £30 at 6.0 on them to win so I'm £180 richer lol. Have to back 8 times that £30 at 1.5 or greater odds before I can bung it in the bank though. Easily done and should get myself some more profit in the meantime. 8)

Offline bealec

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2012, 08:20:15 PM »
Well done Mo Farah. Legend