https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: PS4  (Read 23422 times)

Offline jman

PS4
« on: February 19, 2013, 07:44:32 AM »
OK, I think your threads only need approval if the first post in it contains a link - so here goes again (without the links) - OK just confirmed that this is the case.. so just edited the post to re-add the links in - how stupid  ::)

Theres going to be a lot of news about the PS4 this week Im sure, probably best to start a new thread.

So unless your living under a rock in regards to gaming news, its expected that the PS4 is going to be showcased from their event on Wednesday 20th February - streamed live from 11pm at https://us.playstation.com/meeting2013/

So far we've got the rumoured PS4 controller

Another rumour today is that the PS4 will only have cloud backwards compatibility - i.e. the only way to play PS3 games will be over the internet - Im not sure this is a great move on sonys part to be honest. Link

Its also rumoured it will be split into 2 different SKUs - the base model rumoured to cost at least $400

Its also been rumoured that Europe will have to wait until next year before the PS4 lands whereas other regions will get it this year - same as the Vita then.

I doubt we will hear about price until E3 - but hopefully we should know when the console will be released come Wednesday.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 07:46:41 AM by jman »

Offline jman

Re: PS4
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 07:48:17 AM »
The latest rumour about the PS4 is that Sony are going to sell it over here for £300 :o bloody hell, that's going to fly off shelves if that's the case!!! They'll be making a huge loss on each unit sold doing that. I was expecting a minimum of £400 for both the PS4 and 720, and they would still be making a loss on each unit sold. Buggering flip :o

Just to add this post in here... its what I heard and said yesterday - $400 for a base model.. sounds like a great price point

Offline Late

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 09:12:58 AM »
I'd not even considered that there might be base and premium versions for ps4/orbis. Have Sony ever done that before?

I've had it in mind for a long time that the proper next gen consoles will likely be £350-£400 (though I've no real basis for that, just a vague expectation of how much we'll need to save up).
The rumours of £300 would be fantastic if that's the "all in" price in the UK, but I suspect you'd need to add VAT onto that. And with shipping costs, and the UK's usual higher markup we could well be looking at £400 or more.

Controller images - unconfirmed but almost certainly correct:

Labels in that second image are just someone's best guess - from here.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 09:46:58 AM »
Just realised with that close up of the controller - they've gone concave instead of convex on the analogue sticks.. about bloody time - I cant see the triggers though - you'd hope they would copy the 360 pad on that too - the d-pad doesn't look too inviting.

I think those pictures are just prototypes of the controller, Im expecting it to be slightly different... there was a rumour the pad would have a screen-record button which recorded your last x minutes of gameplay... so like I said, expecting some tweaks still.

Offline harv

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 09:06:27 PM »
Being able to record stuff would be really cool, but that was also rumoured to be happening with the Wii U so we'll have to wait and see I guess.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline jman

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 08:01:58 AM »
Well that was a disappointing event from what I have been reading up about today - totally boring in fact... how can you introduce us the future.. without showing us it ??

Guess its time to wait till E3 - however I cant see the PS4 launching for less than £400 with some of the announced specs - knocks seven shades of shit out of the Wii U though, right harv ;)

Offline jman

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 02:48:55 PM »
GAME alre already taking pre-order deposits for the PS4 - nothing from that presentation made me want one personally, pretty much all the games were multi-platform and already stated that the controller is an improvement, but still not jumping out at me.  Other than that, the tech sounds good - although I am worried about how much the whole thing will cost - anything above £350 is too much.

I'd stick a pre-order down at this stage, but not a deposit.

Offline harv

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 04:40:16 PM »
Yup, I was texting with my mate that works at Sony while it was going on and he hit the nail on the head - all style and no substance.

Wasn't surprised that we didn't see anything draw dropping either, we're not too far away from diminishing returns. And I can't see it being less than £400, we may even see 2 SKUs - one for £450 and one for £550. I can't believe that Sony still haven't learnt any lessons from the launches of the PSP, PS3 and Vita. They're still launching expensive super powerful consoles despite the ridiculous success they achieved with the modestly powered and affordable PS1 and PS2 and the success that Nintendo had withtthe DS and Wii.

Even if they launch for £450 they're still going to make a huge loss on each unit sold, having 8GB of GDDR5 is a mistake.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline harv

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 09:34:02 PM »
Have just read that there's no DS3 support either, so previous PS3 owners will need to buy a DS4 if they want 2 player local play.

Offline ancelotti

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 12:16:48 AM »
I remember picking up my PS3 just after launch for about £425. I thought it was expensive but also thought I was paying for a superior gaming machine so I didn't mind. MS were clever, coming in at a lower base price point but making you pay extra for necessary add-ons like Xbox Live and a Wireless Adapter (I've never needed one, but I guess some people would, and £60 was expensive).

I do think they need to aim for sub-£400 though. MS will surely come in cheaper than Sony as they seem more prepared to cut corners and obviously generate extra revenue with XBL.

Offline jman

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 07:58:43 AM »
Well sony haven't really detailed their online services yet.. just that a new "Playstation World" is going to replace PS Plus & PSN... they have gone into a few specific details.. and we know there will be a subscription service in there someplace... I wouldnt be too suprised if sony copied microsoft and started charging for online gaming though... from a business perspective - they are losing god knows how much by not doing it... and has it affected hardware/software sales for microsoft.. no it hasn't... the 360 has still sold more hardware and definitely sells more software... charging for online play would surely subsidise a large chunk of the cost of the PS4.. however going from a free service to a paid service will get the backs up of current playstation owners - I would see it as an evolution though - which is entirely the focus of their press conference.

Offline ancelotti

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 04:08:56 PM »
Having been impressed by Watch Dogs at E3 this video has excited me even more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6W8MSJtgKQ

Looks lush!

Offline harv

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »
Having been impressed by Watch Dogs at E3 this video has excited me even more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6W8MSJtgKQ

Looks lush!

Although it should be noted that's a PC SKU running with similar specs to the PS4. Shouldn't be too much different when we see the final PS4 SJU running. No matter what it looks like the Wii U SKU should be awesome to play given that this sort of game is tailor-made for a touchscreen controller.

Offline jman

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 08:44:48 AM »
Watchdogs does look good... looks like the PC platform is going to be the lead platform for that game... funny that because heres me thinking that the Wii U is going to be the lead platform for every single multi-platform game of next gen  ;D

Offline Late

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 09:30:39 AM »
Can't wait for Watch Dogs. Looks great - will definitely buy it on whichever console I end up buying.

That said, I might not buy a next gen console until they've been out a few months, see how they measure up - so I might end up getting Watch Dogs on the 360.

Will be fascinated to hear how the game compares between the current and next gen versions. Could prove a handy yardstick. How will textures compare? Load times? Draw distances? Numbers of characters onscreen? And so on...
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...