https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: PS4  (Read 25475 times)

Offline harv

Re: PS4
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 07:27:02 PM »
You're also probably better off waiting a few months to see if there are any RROD or YLOD type instances, given Sony are using 8GB of GDDR5 I'd say that the PS4 is more likely to have problems overheating. The 720 should be in a better position given their choice of RAM and GPU. DDR3 and a 1.1TFlop GPU is going to be miles easier to keep from frying than GDDR5 and a 1.8TFlop GPU.

I'm quite worried about Sony's future now tbh, they could very well have another Vita on their hands. :-\
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Late

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 10:13:43 PM »
 ::)
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 11:27:11 PM »
My points are quite valid mate. The PS4 is going to be a real bitch to keep cool, I'd feel more comfortable buying a 720 than a PS4 at the moment. Not only is it going to be cheaper it's also going to run a lot cooler.

Sony may have made a fatal mistake bunging 8GB of GDDR5 under the hood. They don't seem to be learning a great deal from past successes and failures.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline jman

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 07:44:14 AM »
The Wii U is the vita though...  ;D in terms of sales you cant even begin to argue against that... nobody wants an underpowered console with no games just as much as nobody wants an expensive handheld with limited games.

Sony are giving us a powerhouse... I would seriously have to consider getting one if the 720 cant keep up... it would be the gamers console.. so not sure what the hell your talking about - seeing as the 720 specs are age old - Im not believing them until they are detailed with fact.  Rumours are, microsoft could do a similar press conference to sony in April and if Microsoft release a console thats comparable and cheaper - the PS4 will be fucked.

Offline Late

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 09:54:53 AM »
Harv, given that you think the Wii was excellent, that the Wii U is the mutts nuts, that you didn't much like the 360, and you didn't much like the ps3 - thanks for letting us know that the ps4 will be crap. It lets proper gamers know that that's the console to go for.

My points are quite valid mate. The PS4 is going to be a real bitch to keep cool, I'd feel more comfortable buying a 720 than a PS4 at the moment. Not only is it going to be cheaper it's also going to run a lot cooler.

You haven't a clue what's in the 720! You also don't fully know what's in the ps4. It could be liquid cooled for all we know. (Yeah, I know it won't be.) I have much more confidence in Sony's ability to make a top gaming console than I have in your ability to predict the future or recognise a good game or console when you see one.

Sony may have made a fatal mistake bunging 8GB of GDDR5 under the hood. They don't seem to be learning a great deal from past successes and failures.
You know who did make a mistake, and failed to learn from their past? Nintendo. Their machine was woefully underpowered last generation, and despite selling well due to novelty value quickly became a laughing stock. This time round they've made a machine that's woefully underpowered once again, and think that people will snap it up like they did the Wii. They won't. People aren't that stupid. Once bitten twice shy - we know that if we buy their crappy console it'll be interesting for a week or two then gathering dust in no time.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 07:01:33 PM »
The 720 is going to have the same RAM setup as the Wii U, sacrificing bandwidth for low latency. It's a much better solution - the DDR3 is much better suited for OS functions, easier to keep cool and a great deal cheaper. The same sources that told us we wereggetting GDDR5 in the PS4 are telling us we're getting DDR3 and ESRAM in the 720. DDR3 is also a better option when you take optical disc speeds and hard drive speeds into account, developers are going to have problems with bottlenecks because of this.

If the PS4 doesn't fly off shelves this combined with the commercial failure of the Vita could send Sony down the toilet. There's no way that the PS4 is going to be sold for less than 400 dollars/pounds, the 720 will end up selling for $/£399.99.

Offline jman

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 03:25:22 PM »
New teaser trailer showing off the PS4 hardware.. not that you can make much out.. except the fact its black.. lol.. think Sony are thinking they didnt do enough in their February conference - which they didnt and trying to upstage microsofts announcement - it hasn't worked.

Offline Late

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 10:59:42 AM »

Offline bealec

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 12:33:52 PM »
Yep this whole no sharing/buying pre owned games is a major cock up by Microsoft. I wonder which idiot on a6 figure salary thought that was a good idea.

Offline Late

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2013, 02:23:32 PM »
To be fair, I strongly suspect Sony think it a good idea, too.
But then they realised an even better idea would be to piss all over Microsoft's chips.
Fair play.

Offline Late

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2013, 03:10:31 PM »

It's like spot the difference...

Offline harv

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2013, 05:11:27 PM »

Offline jman

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 02:23:19 PM »
Sony recently released a FAQ about the PS4..

Some stuff I wasn't 100% sure on, some of it was surprising - especially the first two..

It cant play any audio CDs.. or MP3s
It cant stream anything from a computer (so no movie playback)
You can replace the hard-drive but you cant use an external hard-drive
You can use it horizontally or vertically
The PS4 supports 3D gameplay
You have to download a day1 update to actually play Blu-Ray/DVD movies
PS4 & PS3 users can play online together

Full Link

Offline Late

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2013, 03:07:24 PM »
It's worth noting the day one download is only about 300mb, and will download in the background while you're doing something else.

Odd that it doesn't playback audio CDs or MP3.
Should be an easy thing to patch in later, but I can't see why it's not enabled out of the box (or in the day 1 patch).

Offline harv

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2013, 04:56:54 PM »
It can't stream anything from a PC..? Even the Wii U can stream mp4 files using the browser :o

And no external hard drives..? Very odd :-\