https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 661062 times)

Offline jman

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2012, 08:27:57 PM »
Street Fighter 4 is so gay.... theres a character you have to beat (called Seth) and he is way too overpowered its unreal, just spent the last 30 minutes getting nowhere...... makes the game a little bit pants imo

Offline harv

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2012, 08:58:46 PM »
Nope, you're just a bit of a poof :P
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline jman

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2012, 09:22:49 PM »
Nope, definitely too hard on medium, looking on the net and its a common complaint about SF4... even if your blocking, he can drag you into him and then smack you for an 18 hit combo.. and you've lost half your life in about 5 seconds flat lol... I tried him on easy and got him down to the last drabs of health... before he unleashed his ultra combo which is unblockable and takes at least half your health bar off..that killed me, so just gave up, got bored...

...always preferred MK to SF anyway.. combos are for gays.. give me blood, weapons and gruesome fatalities any day of the week  ;)

Offline harv

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2012, 09:38:39 PM »
I'm not overly keen on fighting games tbh, I prefer Tekken because I like the characters more but I always tend to button mash and as a result get my arse kicked lol. The only fighting games I really like are the Fight Night franchise and The Fight Lights Out.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline jman

« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2012, 08:56:31 AM »
Seems somewhat pointless having a whole section dedicated to Video Games.. then with one general all purpose thread in it...

Anyway.. looks like someone at CryTek has been a bit naughty and tweeted the following last night..

For anyone that doesnt know.. Durango is the RUMOURED xbox 720 codename...

Probably just a wind-up, but it got taken down shortly afterwards

Offline jman

« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2012, 09:33:45 AM »
Got the house to myself on Saturday but game development on my XBLIG is going a bit slow at the moment, mainly because i've been busy drawing the sprite sheets for the past 2 weeks now... so hoping I can finish off the main sprite sheet for the player by the weekend and should receive my 360 wired controller today, so the aim by the weekend is to have a controllable sprite for the player which animates depending on what they are doing... actually booked a few days off work in March to work solely on the game.. but I expect I wont have anything worthwhile to show for another 4-6 months from now lol...thats if I dont lose interest in it all.

Offline AVFCRoss

« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2012, 04:30:58 PM »
Lol, Apparently, GAME and Gamestation aren't able to stock Mass Effect 3......Alot of people are saying they're just outright refusing to stock anything made by EA, details are conflicting atm though. Story is here;

http://www.ps3trophies.org/news/news-5996-GAME-and-Gamestation-Won-t-Be-Stocking-Mass-Effect-3-[Updated].html

Offline harv

« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2012, 04:35:52 PM »
They're not stocking a great deal of new games. They're going to go bust soon, I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner given how expensive their prices are. Might be able to get some bargains when they have closing down sales ;D :P

Edit: Have just had a look at the sales figures for last week in Japan and the Vita is still struggling over there. Not a single Vita title in the top 20. Sony desperately need one of the Big 3 franchises for the Vita over there...there were rumours of a Monster Hunter on the way, perhaps we'll have some news of it in a few days at the GDC. :-\

The 3DS has currently got Monster Hunter 3G with Monster Hunter 4 on the way and a Dragon Quest game on the way. It's only missing a proper Final Fantasy RPG then it'll have all 3. Sony need to moneyhat Square Enix to secure a Final Fantasy killer app if they haven't done so already. :o

Haven't seen any Vita sales figures in the West yet but given the price and available titles for the Vita I can't see it doing a great deal better tbh, although the Western oriented titles available so far may do it a few favours. I'm personally waiting for a price cut before I start looking at getting one.

Another Edit: Apparently Sony have sold 1.2m Vitas so far which is quite surprising, interesting to see if they can keep sales momentum going in the West as like I've mentioned it's dying a death in the East, particularly Japan. :-\
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:57:32 PM by harv »

Offline jman

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2012, 10:37:15 AM »
Europe has been sonys strongest market for years mate.. then america.. they dont need to worry about the japs.. in fact the whole idea of Sony pushing western games into japs faces is great..

Sony might be a japanese company.. but the PS3/Vita are about as much japanese as I am... just because the Vita was released in Japan first, doesnt instantly make it their strongest market nor the market they are expecting to sell well in... GT5 Prologue (the 2nd best selling PS3 game) was released months in advance to the japs... and in the end it sold a piddly amount compared to Europe and America.... and if you look, hardly any of the PS3 best selling games are made by japanese developers anymore.. only the long running franchises (GT, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy) are the only ones who continue to sell well.... A stark contrast to the PS1 best selling list which included tons of japanese made games

Quite simply, japanese gaming has died out in the past decade.. its no longer the force it once was...and sony have finally realised that and marketed the Vita towards western gamers... I think you'll see in the next couple of weeks that the Vita sales stay strong in the west... and that any dip in sales will be down to their price point being too high rather than not having the demand for it
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 10:40:42 AM by jman »

Offline bealec

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2012, 12:20:54 PM »
The Japanese are only interested in games that are ridiculously long, have stories no one understands and always involves scenes with Cherry Blossom blowing across the screen.

Offline jman

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2012, 01:42:54 PM »
And games with characters that have ridiculous names and games that feature school girls with humongous breasts too...  ;D

Shenmue was awesome though... alongside Final Fantasy 7... my two favourite jap games...  they really need to make a Shenmue 3 as was planned..... and prehaps do an orange box type thing and release the previous 2 alongside it... I reckon it'd sell like crazy...

All this talk about jap games made me remember one I played a long while back on the Xbox called "Shadows of Memories" - dont know if anyone ever played it... its probably one of those games you've never heard of or played but should of... its a very story-driven action/adventure type game - I'd say about 60-70% of the game is cut-scenes... you start as this guy and you are killed in a diner, then brought back to life somehow and given the chance to time travel back in time to prevent your murder and work out who killed you... you only time travel through one town in germany (where you died)... so if you do something in the past.. it will reflect in the future kind of thing... the gameplay is basic.. but the story is excellent and it has multiple endings too... might try and get a copy on the pc.. I wouldnt mind playing that again...

Offline harv

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2012, 02:20:26 PM »
Might have to check that Xbox game out, sounds right up my street :)

I've got serious doubts that the Vita will keep any sort of sales momentum in the West too unfortunately, and whilst Sony have said they're happy with Vita sales so far it hasn't sold as well as the GBA, PSP, DS and 3DS when they started their lives. :-\

I think the Vita is d00med to have as small a marketshare as the PSP had last gen unless they pull a rabbit out of the hat. :(

Edit: We need some better emoticons - Ninja, Devil Smiling, Devil Angry, Puking, and animated ones too. >:(

Beat those two nasties in Revelations, a few grenades and a few shotgun blasts sorted those gits out. There's still a little too much ammo around for my liking but I have had a few instances of near panic where ammo looks to be running out. ;D

This game has the best use of 3D I've seen so far, the depth is amazing. Looks as if all the gameplay is happening an inch and a halfish beyond the screen, although there isn't a great deal of stuff appearing to pop out apart from the rain right at the beginning which is pretty cool.

This game is worth buying a 3DS for alone imo, they've managed to squeeze in a shedload of content, entertaining online play both locally and online with RAID mode cooperatively which can also be played offline as a single player game. 8)

« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 12:48:48 AM by harv »

Offline Late

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2012, 10:54:44 AM »
Expect the US to be the setting for Assassin's Creed 3 - set around the time of the Revolution. Have fun killing Brits. (Come on Desmond - switch sides and change history!)
Box Art link.
Still haven't played the last one, but I'm in no rush - happy to wait until it drops to around £10.

Playing Saints Row 3 at present...
SR2 didn't take itself seriously, and as a result was great fun to play. Seems to me the developers saw that a bit of silliness resulted in a good game so assumed that making the next game ridiculously silly would mean the game would be even better.
It doesn't. It's just gone too far.
It's still good fun to play - but it's definitely not as good as Saints Row 2.
Once again I find myself playing a sandbox game I've been looking forward to for ages, and being disappointed, and once again I find myself pining for the new GTA. That's probably a bad thing - if I'm building it up in my mind I'm setting myself up for a major disapointment if RockStar don't come up with the goods...
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2012, 11:59:42 AM »
Another assassins creed game.. how original.. that would be the 5th major AC game in as many years then...  :o 

This is the one they started after AC2.. so a normal development team would of had a 2-3 year hiatus before their next game released.. Ubisoft have tried to be clever and just repeated AC2 with brotherhood/revelations in the inbetweening years after AC2 released... probably made a bit of money out of it.. but has definitely damaged and diluted the brand image of assassins creed for me... I might not even bother with Revelations now

Offline Late

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2012, 12:15:33 PM »
I consider Brotherhood and Revelations to be akin to DLC for AC2. It's only a new game when they introduce a new protagonist and era.
Probably gonna have to play them, though, to keep up with the underlying Desmond story.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...