https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 662820 times)

Offline harv

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #630 on: July 19, 2012, 09:03:33 AM »
Meant to put *for 16 years ;)
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline jman

« Reply #631 on: July 19, 2012, 09:04:25 AM »
Still gonna suck  ;)

Offline harv

« Reply #632 on: July 19, 2012, 10:49:32 AM »
Not with games like ZombiU. ;)

A game more Resident Evil than the last 3 Resident Evils (including Resident Evil 6). 8)
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline jman

« Reply #633 on: July 19, 2012, 11:51:09 AM »
So its unoriginal and has even shitter voice acting then.. cool beans!

Not that I agree with you at all.. ZombiU is an FPS game is it not.. which resident evils were FPS games again ??

Offline harv

« Reply #634 on: July 19, 2012, 04:16:15 PM »
I'm talking in terms of being a proper survival horror rather than an action game. Plenty of scares and tension, limited ammo and supplies and a zombie apocalypse. If anything it's pretty similar to Resident Evil 2, albeit mostly in first person perspective. Just substitute Raccoon City for London.

It's also the first non-generic zombie game in years, and the first zombie game in ages that doesn't have the word 'Dead' in the title.

And it's looking every bit a next gen title too, the lighting is beyond anything that the PS3 and 360 are capable of. It's looking stunning even 4 months before release and it's only going to look better on launch day.

Offline jman

« Reply #635 on: July 19, 2012, 04:44:12 PM »
How is it non generic exactly, don't you just run from point a to point b in the game, sounds as generic and as linear as they come, wasn't dead island a zombie fps too?

Offline AVFCRoss

« Reply #636 on: July 19, 2012, 05:05:35 PM »
Hate to break it to you Harv, but Dead Space is everything you've just described...

Offline harv

« Reply #637 on: July 19, 2012, 06:05:32 PM »
Hate to break it to you Harv, but Dead Space is everything you've just described...

Too much ammo and whilst the atmosphere is pretty good it's nowhere near as tense as ZombiU. Christ on a bike, even watching someone playing the game at E3 for the first time was nerve wracking lol.

The Old School Resident Evil had very scarce ammo, and with Dead Space 3 going the same way as the last 3 Resident Evil games it can no longer be considered a survival horror. Co-op does not belong in a survival horror game. Dead Space 3 is going to be an action game not a survival horror game, and I'm boycotting it as a result..

And ZombiU is about as non-generic as you can get. One bite kills, having to find your last zombiefied self to get your stuff back. They've basically got the bastard child of Resident Evil 2 (zombie apocalypse set in a city) and the Souls franchise and given it more tension, scares and stress. :o

And it's going to sell an absolute shedload.

Offline styles

« Reply #638 on: July 19, 2012, 07:31:01 PM »
As many as your last prediction sold? What was it called again?
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline harv

« Reply #639 on: July 19, 2012, 08:09:29 PM »
It will easily sell over a million, and it'll be a system seller too. Same goes for Aliens Colonial Marines too early next year. And you'll probably find those two titles being of the select few third party titles that Nintendo are going to match marketing for.

Mass Effect 3 will do badly, don't know what EA were thinking tbh, Arkham City will do poorly to average and as long as Assassins Creed 3 isn't released too far away from the other SKUs it should do fairly well.

And whilst I'm doing predictions, assuming that the PS4 and 720 are released the same time next year, the U should have a 10-15m head start by the time they're released and thanks to the strong sales of ZombiU and Aliens Colonial Marines third parties will have worked out that year old lazy ports are a waste of time and money and that new IPs and multiplatform titles released at the same time as the other SKUs will sell.

You'll also see the Indie scene thriving on the U's eShop too given Nintendo's unprecedented middleware deal.

Offline AVFCRoss

« Reply #640 on: July 19, 2012, 11:10:30 PM »
Harv, go back and play Dead Space 1 or 2 on Zealot setting...Then come back and tell me theres too much ammo.

If you want the ultimate challenge, do Dead Space 2 on Hardcore mode...You get 3 saves all game, and as soon as you die it's either game over or you go back to your last save. That ramps up the survival horror element by tenfold.

Offline harv

« Reply #641 on: July 19, 2012, 11:51:26 PM »
You shouldn't have to play the game on the hardest difficulty setting to make it a challenge. The whole point of a survival horror, and the name is the big giveaway, is that it's a challenge to survive right off the bat. Forcing you to play the game on the hardest difficulty setting before it's a proper survival horror game is ridiculous imo.

Offline AVFCRoss

« Reply #642 on: July 20, 2012, 05:04:01 AM »
You shouldn't have to play the game on the hardest difficulty setting to make it a challenge. The whole point of a survival horror, and the name is the big giveaway, is that it's a challenge to survive right off the bat. Forcing you to play the game on the hardest difficulty setting before it's a proper survival horror game is ridiculous imo.

Lol, noone in the their right mind would only make the game accessible to anyone but the hardcore player...

Theres still nothing stopping you popping the disc in and playing on the hardest difficulty straight off the bat...You want a true survival horror, go and play any Dead Space game on the hardest setting and you'll get it...The only different between the difficulty levels in Dead Space are the health of the enemies and the amount of the ammo you find...Probably the 2 biggest elements of survival horror anyway.

You defeat the purpose of the genre if you want to be able to have no ammo, but still play the game on casual...It doesn't work like that...Wheres the "survival" element if you've got no ammo, but then you realise you don't need it because you're playing on casual and the enemies do barely any damage, and have little HP...You could get by on just melee alone...Lol

Hardcore mode is the truest reflection of survival horror....Knowing you get a limited amount of times to save your game, and also knowing that one wrong move could see you die and end up giving you an instant game over and no respawn...It has a more authenticated feel to it, and is always making you think carefully about your next move...It's more immersing and makes you think about what you might be doing in that situation more...

Players are always going to be more care-free knowing that death is inconsequential, so having a mode that actually makes you reflect more and care about what your characters next move is, is what brings the survival horror elements and makes them more profound.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 05:06:53 AM by AVFCRoss »

Offline Late

« Reply #643 on: July 20, 2012, 07:53:48 AM »
You play all your games on easy/normal?
Pussy.

Call yourself a gamer? You're letting the team down big style there.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #644 on: July 20, 2012, 08:42:31 AM »
I agree with Ross.. Dead Space 2 on the hardest difficulty is much harder than Resident Evil was... especially in terms of ammo conservation... I didnt have a memory card at the time Resident Evil came out.. still managed to complete at least 50% of it in my first sitting before dying.. (I died in the first 10 seconds of playing Dead Space 2 on medium level LOL)

Dead Space is also more survival horror than Resident Evil ever was.. mainly because Resident Evil used loads of puzzle mechanics which turned it into more of an action game.. plus it wasnt very hard as I already stated.