https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 663067 times)

Offline harv

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #645 on: July 20, 2012, 09:31:10 AM »
Looks like Ubisoft aren't in their right mind then lol. They're billing it as a hardcore experience, same as the Souls franchise. 8)
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline bealec

« Reply #646 on: July 20, 2012, 12:26:11 PM »
If all games were set to the hardest difficulty all the time people wouldn't play them. You have to make the game accessible to all. That's why you can choose to make it more difficult.

If I get a new game, especially one I'm not familiar with, I put it on Normal and play for a bit. If it seems to easy I crank it up.

Offline Late

« Reply #647 on: July 20, 2012, 12:54:36 PM »
I usually start on the hardest difficulty - and turn it down if I'm struggling.
Used to do it like you, but half the time if I found a game easy I couldn't be arsed to go back to the start. I find there's more incentive to go back to the start if you're struggling on hard and need to make it easier than if you're cruising through on medium and want to make it more difficult.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #648 on: July 20, 2012, 02:58:14 PM »
It's just the way the industry has gone for the last 10 years or so. Publishers want testers to make at least one playthrough during a working day, it's also why the average playthrough time for a single player campaign is only 5 or 6 hours. It used to be twice that last gen.

Even the hardest difficulty setting is easier than it was years ago.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Late

« Reply #649 on: July 23, 2012, 10:30:57 AM »
Prince of Persia wasn't the longest of games, but entertained me for a few days.
Toward the end it was getting rather repetitive, so I'm glad it wasn't extended -or if it had been it definitely would've needed some new ideas so as not to become irritating.

Started Metro 2033. It's okay - not great, not terrible. It just seems to be confused what kind of game it's supposed to be. It's not a survival horror - there's way too much ammo. It's not your usual wargame fps - it has RPG elements. It's definitely not an RPG though. I'm not saying all games should be pigeon-holed - "pick a genre and make sure you don't deviate". In this instance, though, you're left with a disjointed hodge-podge...

I'm not terribly far into the game yet (maybe a quarter of the way through) and there's lots of scavenging bodies and crates for weapons and ammo. And when you're in a "town" there's places to trade before you move on (but it seems if you buy a better gun you're wasting your currency, as it'll inevitably be available free on some corpse in the next area). So in those respects it's a bit Borderlands. Except Metro's pretty linear - you can roam each area but once you move to a new area that last one's gone.
There's shocks/horror aplenty - lots of mutants coming at you in the dark, occasionally turning up right in your face as you turn round. So maybe comparable to the FEAR games.

If you like the Borderlands and FEAR franchises you'll probably like this.
Personally, I found both to be a bit "meh". Playable, but forgettable.
Ditto Metro 2033.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #650 on: July 23, 2012, 11:02:31 AM »
Metro's crap.. played 3/4 levels.. havent played it since.. has terrible controls and graphics, way too linear.. and not exactly a riveting storyline either... I wouldnt put FEAR in the same bracket as Metro, FEAR at least went some way to making the game interesting and it had some cool physics at the time of release.... no, I'd put Metro in the same vein as Wolfenstein/Jericho - crappy FPS games which could of been made so much better with a bit more thought.

Probably get back to Wolfy at some point though as it was half interesting... although still going for the 100% on Mafia 2.. annoying that the Playboy mags are chapter specific.. it means I have to go through the whole story again.. although I had to do that anyway to finish it on hard.. its just not very fun replaying the game s'all.. be OK when I can free-roam to finish up the other achievements.

Offline harv

« Reply #651 on: July 23, 2012, 04:22:52 PM »
Wolfenstein was excellent, although I am talking about the first two games because I haven't played the third one. The only thing better than killing zombies is killing Nazi zombies, you wouldn't have had zombies in the Call of Duty games if it wasn't for the second game, it was an obvious major influence.

I quite liked Metro, keep on meaning to go back to it but I was seriously pissed off about getting robbed by a filthy whore early on lol. :-[ ;D Plus something else appeared on the horizon that distracted me. Can't remember what game it was now.

Offline Late

« Reply #652 on: July 24, 2012, 04:10:43 PM »
PSN will be down for scheduled maintenance Thursday evening/night. You won't be able to log in, but apparently you will be able to play online if you log in before the maintenance begins.

I quite liked Metro, keep on meaning to go back to it but I was seriously pissed off about getting robbed by a filthy whore early on lol. :-[ ;D
lol. I'm embarrassed to say I quickly exited the game when that happened to me, so it wouldn't be saved. Screw losing all my wealth! ;)

Offline harv

« Reply #653 on: July 24, 2012, 05:55:13 PM »
Yup, I think I started the game again lol. Good job it was right at the beginning :P

Offline jman

« Reply #654 on: July 24, 2012, 10:46:44 PM »
I fell for it too.. lol... bugger starting the game again, it was painful enough to get that far...

Finished with Mafia 2.. just couldnt be arsed to get the last 3 achievements... 160 collectibles.. no thanks..

So put The Witcher 2 back in the machine.. blimey the language in that is strong... example here for the nosey nellies...just make sure no kids are around when you play it lol....  I did that bit earlier, your escaping a dungeon and can look into a cell on your way out.... that bit is in the prologue which seemed way too long... I did finally manage to get to chapter 1 tonight and reached the first town and then -blam- millions of side quests to do.. am getting far too sidetracked for my liking..

You can definitely see the game has really suffered from being a pc port though... the graphics arent exactly brilliant and a lot of textures take far too long to load.. but it doesnt effect the gameplay that much, loading times are minimal.. for me, theres something about the game that still seems a bit crap though but I cant put my finger on it.. maybe its the combat system which is very archaic in nature.. or prehaps its just slightly too much of a hardcore RPG than what I prefer... I do feel its about 5-10 times more accessible than mass effect or dragon age though.. those games are for nerds only.

Offline Late

« Reply #655 on: July 25, 2012, 02:54:42 AM »
Starting to get frustrated with Metro, now.
Was stuck on one of the chapters for bloody ages. Tried doing it stealthily, but there's a lot of trip wires etc. and if you try to take someone out with a knife from behind suddenly everyone in the level's after you so you end up "going loud" anyway.
Get into a one on one with someone and often you can empty most of a clip into them without them going down, and they'll kill you with 1 or 2 shots. It's not that it's too hard exactly (I've heard you get the same problem on Medium and on Easy) - more like it's just not as well designed as it should be.
What's the point of silent weapons if you get detected when you use them? And not only do they know you've used them - they also usually know exactly where you are, even if you've backed up and skirted 'round...

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 09:21:33 AM by Late »

Offline harv

« Reply #656 on: July 25, 2012, 04:23:37 AM »
Best. Bug. Ever. :o

Fantastic lololol ;D

Offline Late

« Reply #657 on: July 27, 2012, 11:20:38 AM »
Everyone naturally assumed Skyrim's Dawnguard DLC would be released on the PS3 and PC thirty days after the 360 (as is usually the case with xbox's timed exclusives) - but it's now been more than 30 days and there's no sign of it.
They've now said, via that there Twitter that they "...have not announced Dawnguard for any other platform, nor given a timeline for any such news..."

Most curious.
At 1600msp it's presumably been a big money-spinner for them on the 360. The development costs for bringing it to the ps3 and pc should be low, so bringing it out on the other two platforms would be a massive earner. It makes no sense not to release it...  ???

Offline harv

« Reply #658 on: July 27, 2012, 12:01:18 PM »
Depends on the size of the moneyhat lol ;D

Offline AVFCRoss

« Reply #659 on: July 28, 2012, 04:48:05 AM »
Everyone naturally assumed Skyrim's Dawnguard DLC would be released on the PS3 and PC thirty days after the 360 (as is usually the case with xbox's timed exclusives) - but it's now been more than 30 days and there's no sign of it.
They've now said, via that there Twitter that they "...have not announced Dawnguard for any other platform, nor given a timeline for any such news..."

Most curious.
At 1600msp it's presumably been a big money-spinner for them on the 360. The development costs for bringing it to the ps3 and pc should be low, so bringing it out on the other two platforms would be a massive earner. It makes no sense not to release it...  ???

I'd be extremely suprised if they didn't...They did it with both Fallout games, so I see no reason why they'd stop now.