https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 662577 times)

Offline harv

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #690 on: August 13, 2012, 10:12:59 PM »
Wasn't too impressed with it myself tbh, but that's probably because after all that wait I was overly hyped. The least they could have done was include the original game with it in glorious HD-o-vision. :(

Edit: A new ZombiU trailer has appeared. Looking very nice indeed. And you get to walk around a zombie infested Buckingham Palace too. Hopefully you'll be able to kill the zombiefied Royal Family and corgis lololol 8)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 02:22:50 AM by harv »
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Online jman

« Reply #691 on: August 15, 2012, 08:00:41 AM »
Surpassed 80k GS last night playing Dirt 2... love that game, despite the rally mode feeling a bit nerfed..... dunno when I hit 70k but I've done the last 20k in 17 months...so on that basis.. if the nextbox comes out xmas 2013 I should be hitting 100k around about that time.. oooh will I make it or not!!.. 'citing!!!  ::) :P

Offline Late

« Reply #692 on: August 15, 2012, 09:41:45 AM »
My gamerscore seems to be accelerating, too. Probably because in most years I'll spend 90% of my playing time on COD, whereas this last year I've picked up a load of cheap games instead.

80k gamerscore is incredible.
I'm not far off 50k now. Should finish off Duke this weekend (but not to 100% completion), then I'll move on to Lego Batman 2 - which will probably give me a nice GS boost but leave me a few hundred shy of 50k. Then I'll probably crack out either Final Fantasy XIII-2 or Lost Odyssey (both of which I'm guessing release gamerscore fairly slowly, as is usually the way with long RPGs).
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline styles

« Reply #693 on: August 15, 2012, 01:18:02 PM »
What's the deal with gamer score?
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline Late

« Reply #694 on: August 15, 2012, 02:25:32 PM »
I'd imagine it's similar to trophies etc. on Playstation, but I'm not certain how that system works (best guess each game has a single platinum, a few golds, a load of silvers, something like that, each depending on difficulty to obtain).

Most full priced games have 1000 gamerscore possible - generally split into around 20-30 achievements. I think I usually get around 600 on most games that I enjoy (and around 100 on games I try for a day or so but never get into). So you could theoretically get 50k gamerscore by exhaustively playing just fifty games - but I've actually played about three times that.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #695 on: August 15, 2012, 02:53:04 PM »
What's the deal with gamer score?

As late has said it's a similar sort of thing to the PSN trophy system but is score-based instead of level-based. The RPG-esque nature of the trophy system makes it much more addictive imo. Going to be interesting to see what sort of model Nintendo adopt for their Accomplishments system for the U. Knowing them they won't adopt a score-based or level-based model and go for something completely different lol.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline ancelotti

« Reply #696 on: August 15, 2012, 03:33:13 PM »
Thought the trophy system was very unappealing when I had a PS3 tbh. Gamerscore isn't much better. I've only got about 12.5k in 3 years on XBL.

Then again, I only really play FIFA and COD. If I complete a game, I find that, like Late, I get around 600 GS. Never got 100% achievements on any game. The thought of spending hours doing the same objective until I've done it well enough/enough times solely to get an achievement doesn't appeal to me.

Offline Late

« Reply #697 on: August 15, 2012, 08:41:29 PM »
Nintendo have announced that all first party U games will be locked to 720p max resolution.

This console's getting to be more and more of a laughing stock...

(Announced a week or so back, but I missed it)

Offline harv

« Reply #698 on: August 15, 2012, 08:53:54 PM »
Hardly a big deal if it was true. But it's not. Scribblenaughts and Toki Tori 2 have been confirmed to be in 1080p.

You'll probably find most games on all 3 platforms next gen being in 720p anyway. The 720 is going to only be twice as powerful as the U going by leaks, and the PS4 slightly less powerful than that. We're looking at all 3 consoles being in the same ballpark in terms of power next gen as they were last gen. There are going to be a great deal of gamers disappointed by the difference in eye candy quality compared to current gen eye candy quality next gen.

Edit: Oops, my bad misread first party as all titles. And like I said above it isn't a big deal. What's going to be more interesting is whether the GPU7 will upscale everything to 1080p the way that Xenos does.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:33:49 PM by harv »

Offline harv

« Reply #699 on: August 15, 2012, 10:21:47 PM »
Several YouTube videos of off-screen footage of ZombiU from IGN:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SWFcvd0JJg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thzzjGiYvAY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjfWQxGJlkY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gXMbqzjQ0M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRbQMuFAHEo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEiAmBAFbyg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4lF0KQNdMg

It's an early build of a new demo so some of the textures are a bit rough and there's no AA by the looks of things but the lighting and shadows are looking excellent. The crosshairs that were missing from the story trailer have reappeared unfortunately...hope there's an option to turn them off, playing it without crosshairs will be bloody insane lol.

There's a fair few people on various boards that are buying a U after seeing this game. Going to be a definite system seller. Can't believe that a Ubisoft title is looking so good, better than anything that Nintendo are coming up with so far. :o

Offline Late

« Reply #700 on: August 15, 2012, 10:27:01 PM »
Of course it's a big deal if you have a tv that's capable of displaying 1080p video but first party games on your next gen console are locked to 720p! It means more than twice as much detail. If consoles nearly a decade old could do 1080p before people had high def tellies it's ridiculous to release a console now that can't output in full HD when most people now have high def.

You can be damned sure the nextbox and ps4 will both be native 1080p. And much more than twice as powerful as the U. I don't know where you get your ridiculous notions.

And it's pretty much irrelevant whether the processor will upscale from 720p to 1080p, as your tv will do that anyway - and if it's a decent tv it'll likely do a better job of it than the console.

Offline harv

« Reply #701 on: August 15, 2012, 11:31:04 PM »
I get these 'notions' from leaks. The 720 is going to be 6-8 times more powerful than the 360. The U is going to be 3-4 times more powerful than the 360. Anyone expecting a huge leap in eye candy quality next gen on any of the 3 consoles is going to be very disappointed.

And if developers do decide to opt for 1080p native next gen I'm fine with the U SKU being 720p thanks to the GamePad adding to gameplay. Even having a map or inventory on the touchscreen is going to be a major plus for me personally. Having to pause the game every time I want to look at a map or access an inventory makes a game disjointed and ruins immersion for me.

Offline Late

« Reply #702 on: August 16, 2012, 12:20:33 AM »
You're not a gamer at all really, are you. You're someone not even slightly interested in games who pretends just so he can troll and post general bollocks, to see what reaction he can get. Sussed it thanks to some subtle clues - like you thinking Nintendo can make games consoles and you generally being completely clueless.

Offline styles

« Reply #703 on: August 16, 2012, 12:47:24 AM »
Cat games is fubar if it has "hero member" beside harvs name lol
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline harv

« Reply #704 on: August 16, 2012, 01:08:18 AM »
They seem fine at making games consoles so far. I missed every single N64 and Gamecube game the last two gens due to owning a PS1 and PS2 but thanks to the Wii having backwards compatibility, the VC and the Homebrew scene being so strong I've played a fair few of the games that I missed out on - including the best rated game of all-time, Ocarina of Time - and have been quite impressed.

The Wii is also the only seriously underpowered console they've ever made, and even so it has inspired both Sony and Microsoft to copy motion controls and Miis. The NES, SNES, N64 and Gamecube were all powerful consoles.

The U is going to have none of the disadvantages that the Wii has had this gen thanks to their choice of hardware components and architecture. It's got a ridiculous amount of quality third party support at launch and during the launch window and is going to sell a shitload.

All sounds pretty good to me, Sony and Microsoft may have serious problems shifting units given their chosen amounts of RAM...buying a PS4 and 720 is not going to be cheap. And if they don't shift enough units they may find the consoles being in the same sort of position as the Vita which is having trouble getting third party support.

Edit: Bloody hell, just noticed that Arkham Citeh is still selling well and was wondering why the GOTY Edition wasn't selling anywhere as good. The bloody thing isn't even released over here yet :o It's not due out until next month. What the buggering flip is going on with that..?!!?!? They had it in May in the States :-\ Looks like the U SKU is only going to be a month or two behind the PS3 and 360 SKUs. Not a bad result for Nintendo.

Going to have to continue my playthrough of Arkham Asylum soon in preparation for the U GOTY Edition. :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 01:52:11 AM by harv »