https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 662892 times)

Offline jman

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #720 on: August 17, 2012, 09:03:45 AM »
At the end of the day its gonna be what it'll be... after owning a Wii theres no way Im going near a Wii U... you may think thats foolish harv.. but I think you'll be suprised by how many people are going to do the same thing... I dont usually sell consoles or games straight away... but selling the Wii after just one year kinda shows the genuine disinterest I had in it.

And you can harp on about the power of the Wii U compared to the 720 or ps4.. but you dont know really.. your guessing... you dont even know 100% what is in the Wii U, nevermind whats in a console that hasnt even been announced!!  Your guesses & predictions are usually dead wrong.. especially when it comes to gaming...its because you listen to too much of the hyperbole/crap on fanboy infested forums.. you actually cant take a reasonable and neutral take on gaming anymore.

Said my peace, not going to get drawn into an argument because you obviously have your stubborn and crazy opinions... just chill out, not everyone on here is that interested in the Wii U.. in fact, I dont think anyone apart from you is interested in it at all... (and stop posting massive pictures.. if you have to, small ones at least?!?)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 09:05:17 AM by jman »

Offline harv

« Reply #721 on: August 17, 2012, 01:33:13 PM »
It isn't guesswork, it's feedback from developers that have been working on the systems in question. And anyone claiming to be a developer or claiming to have sources on Gaf is always verified by a mod. Unlike most 'fanboy forums' Gaf has plenty of people working in the industry and plenty of gaming journalists as members, how do you think I first heard about it..? ;) That's why we know that what little we've gleaned about the U's specs being 3 times more powerful than the 360 on paper is true and the 720 being 6-8 times more powerful is true according to target specs, although the current dev kits for the latter have placeholder components this early in the console development lifecycle so won't be anywhere near as powerful as the target specs yet...you won't have the components themselves finalised until 6 months before launch and developers won't have final dev kits until a month or two before launch.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline harv

« Reply #722 on: August 17, 2012, 02:13:05 PM »
Can't remember if I mentioned it before but Sony have confirmed that they're not going to cut the price of the Vita until sometime next year. They've gone insane. At some point during the next couple of months there'll be more than 10 times more 3DS consoles sold than Vitas. Christ on a bike the original PSP is outselling it regularly and even the original DS isn't too far off either. Hopefully the PS4 isn't going to be as much of a disaster because unless Sony have completely lost the plot it's going to be cheaper than the 720 given what's going to be under the hood. Can't believe that they still haven't learnt any lessons from the PSP and PS3. Madness. :-\
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Late

« Reply #723 on: August 17, 2012, 06:29:15 PM »
Gaf has plenty of people working in the industry and plenty of gaming journalists as members, how do you think I first heard about it..? ;)

Affiliate link from iwanttobumnintendo.com
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #724 on: August 17, 2012, 07:18:58 PM »
The forum is a gaming forum, not platform holder or platform specific.

Lol, got banned from the GT forums for calling a troll that created a troll thread an idiot. The dozy fuckwit was suggesting that Nintendo should launch the Wii U with two separate SKUs - one with the GamePad and a cheaper one without lol. He then went on to say that they did the same thing with the Wii and that Wii Sports Boxing wasn't playable unless you bought a nunchuck lololol. I responded by saying, and I quote, 'The Wii came bundled with 1 remote and 1 nunchuck, idiot' and got a 48 hour ban. Ridiculous lol. ;D :o ;D

Never mind, Gaf is a better quality board anyway, if a little odd. It seems you can troll all you want, but get banned for port begging lol. Bizarre.

Offline Late

« Reply #725 on: August 19, 2012, 11:55:33 PM »
I struggle to think of a forum I've ever frequented without picking up a suspension on.

Finished Duke Nukem on Saturday. I had to lower the difficulty to normal toward the end - I was getting sick of one of the boss fights, and wasn't enjoying the game enough to continue trying on hard. Naturally it was then way too easy, but that's usually the way with these things, and I'm quite happy to toss the game in the cupboard, never to be seen again.

Started Lego Batman 2, which suffers one of Duke's problems - very long load times.
That aside, though, it's all good. Large open map, okay story (so far predominantly Superman and Batman working against Joker and Lex Luthor), loads to do. Each stage is a lot longer than in previous Lego games, but there's save points periodically throughout them so they've swerved the main pitfall that longer stages could've heralded.
Initially it's a little disconcerting having the lego characters speak (in previous games they've always been silent) but they're excellently scripted and voiced. An absolute must for fans of the series. Still surprised I got it for around £20 less than two months after release. They usually take best part of a year to drop that low. Certainly isn't because the game's poor.
Unless there's something ridiculous in the achievements I definitely expect 1000/1000 on this one.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #726 on: August 20, 2012, 10:53:48 PM »
Omfg, someone on the GT forums has just brought up something about ZombiU. Each time you die the game becomes more difficult because you add another enemy to the ranks. But now Ubisoft have said that as part of the ZombiU online component, every time one of your friends dies a zombiefied version of himself/herself appears in your game too making it a race of sorts to kill the offending rotting corpse and nick the stuff in their backpack. She's just said that her boyfriend is going to get himself killed over and over again to sabotage her game lol :o ;D

Ubisoft must have something in place to limit the amounts of zombies spawned though, otherwise you'll end up with a Dead Rising situation lololol :o

Offline jman

« Reply #727 on: August 26, 2012, 02:46:37 PM »
Finished with Dirt 2 now... just one single player achievement that eluded me... the one to finish 1st in all the events.. still had 21 to do.. easy enough to do, just time consuming...

I swapped Dirt 1 for Rage the other day, so will probably play that next.. or back to RUSE... and will order Dirt 3 after I've finished a few more games... have refound my love for Rally games!

Offline Late

« Reply #728 on: August 28, 2012, 12:05:01 AM »
Finished Lego Batman 2.
Fun game, as always with the lego games, but I found it dragged on in a few places. Some of the last few gold bricks and mini-kits were just tiresome.
Ended up with 980/1000 gamerscore. The final achievement, for 20 gs, requires playing a level co-op. Did so splitscreen but it didn't register, so I guess you need to do it with someone online... ::)

Not sure what to play next. I'd been toying with FF 13.2 or Lost Odyssey, but I'm not feeling it at the moment so will probably just grab something from the pile of unplayed cheapo 2nd hand games.

Got the new Xbox Dashboard update today. Not sure when it's out officially - I'm on the beta. Some nice additions there. Style wise it's not changed much - still "Metro" - but the panes are slightly smaller, so there's more icons onscreen at once. There's a new "pin" option, so you can create shortcuts to your favourite apps etc. There's some sort of fancy (but expensive) PAYG tv service. And there's the long overdue Internet Explorer - a welcome addition, and it works well, aside from the obvious slowness in using a gamepad to type on a virtual keyboard - but if you use it regularly you can always use a keyboard I guess.

Offline AVFCRoss

« Reply #729 on: August 28, 2012, 12:35:53 AM »
Picked up Platinum 43 last week with FIFA 12, and I've almost got it to 100% with the Euro 2012 DLC...Such a massive grind, but I only have a few loose ends to tie up, then I've got every trophy and I can lie in wait for FIFA 13!

Offline jman

« Reply #730 on: August 28, 2012, 08:32:20 AM »
I started Rage yesterday.. played about 6 hours of it in fact.. simply because I was at a loose end and hadn't played anything for nigh on 2 weeks.... im not actually sure I like it that much...  I'd say if you took the best parts of Bioshock and mixed it with the worst parts of Bulletstorm..then added the best graphics you've probably ever seen in a console game... you'd pretty much have the FPS part of Rage right there.

The FPS stuff is hidden behind a rather weak WRPG system though... you have half open ended towns you can explore, a map to explore in your vehicles and loads of NPCs to get quests from.  The problem is.. the quests are pretty much all the same - Fetching quests.. or rather quests that require you to go to this location, kill everyone and come back for a unique reward.  The vehicle part of the game is boring.. the vehicles are only used from going from point A to point B in terms of the main storyline.. and you get the same enemies in the same places everytime you go down the same paths.  You can race your vehicles in towns.. but to be honest, its not that much fun.

Overall, its a good game.. definitely worth a fiver.. but I was getting a bit bored of doing similar quests over and over... Im only on disc 1 of 3 still too.. so it seems to be a pretty lengthy game too..  ???

Offline AVFCRoss

« Reply #731 on: August 28, 2012, 03:32:48 PM »
The problem is.. the quests are pretty much all the same - Fetching quests.. or rather quests that require you to go to this location, kill everyone and come back for a unique reward.

That's exactly what Skyrim is though...I've almost finished Skyrim and the vast majority of the quests in the game just involve going to a dungeon, clearing it out and then killing a key character/retrieving something...Nobody ever said that was a problem for Skyrim though... ???

Offline Late

« Reply #732 on: August 28, 2012, 07:28:33 PM »
Speaking of Skyrim...

New DLC "Hearthfire" has been announced for the 360.
Not a major DLC like Dawnguard, this one seems to be more about designing and building your own home rather than being a new quest line. Consequently it's a lot cheaper at 400 msp - Dawnguard was 1600 msp.

dealspwn

Offline jman

« Reply #733 on: August 29, 2012, 08:36:31 AM »
The problem is.. the quests are pretty much all the same - Fetching quests.. or rather quests that require you to go to this location, kill everyone and come back for a unique reward.

That's exactly what Skyrim is though...I've almost finished Skyrim and the vast majority of the quests in the game just involve going to a dungeon, clearing it out and then killing a key character/retrieving something...Nobody ever said that was a problem for Skyrim though... ???
You do know Skryim has a plot.. you have the main questline which involves slaying dragons, you then have about a subset of 10 other main questlines, which involve the Mages College, Dark Brotherhood, Daedra, etc etc... ...Im just thinking.. are you actually paying any attention to any of the plotlines or are you just accepting every quest you can find and then just doing it?  To say every quest is a dungeon fetch/kill quest is a lie.. the thieves guild have a plethora of quests which involve stealing stuff and not killing anyone for a start... with Rage, 100% of the main storyline quests are fetch/kill (so far).... did you not think it cool to climb the biggest mountain in skyrim to reach the greybeards for help in slaying dragons... there was a point in my game where I had to kill two dragons at the same time.. and it was an unscripted moment of brilliance.

Plus the magnificence of Skryim (apart from being set in one of the best expansive maps ever made), is it can be played any way.. you've obviously played it, not paying any attention to the storylines and gone in killing everything you can and doing loads of dungeon quests.. not to say theres anything wrong with that.. but your complaining because you played it that way... how about playing it again with stealth perks, or just magic perks, or an archer... your still going to kill the same things.. sure, but then isnt that the same as every FPS/WRPG game ??

Offline harv

« Reply #734 on: August 29, 2012, 02:26:51 PM »
Have just read on Gaf that developers working on the U have seen 'great' improvements in their project performances since the spring. Looks backed up by the difference between the E3 2012 build of the ZombiU Nursery demo and the Comic Con build which were streets apart in terms of eye candy quality and things should continue to get better as the weeks go by. I'm quite surprised that Ubisoft have got that looking as good as it is tbh, it actually looks like a next gen title. It could end of being the Condemned title for the U. Technically very impressive so far, can't wait to see what improvements they make to the Buckingham Palace demo at TGS. Probably AA and ansiotropic filtering, can't see them improving the lighting and shadows that much more though as it looked on a par with the Comic Con Nursery demo. :D