https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 662815 times)

Offline jman

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #780 on: September 11, 2012, 12:38:34 PM »
Bollocks.. paid £150 for new hard-drives and my pc still doesnt work...the monitors dont seem to work anymore.. the good news is that the graphics cards definitely work as I tried them both in another setup... the bad news is that it looks like my CPU or mobo (or both) are up the duff... I reckon its the CPU.. Im gonna try cleaning it up, along with the fan and reapplying the thermal paste at the weekend.. see if that makes any difference... feels like the whole RROD thing all over again - lol.

Offline harv

« Reply #781 on: September 11, 2012, 06:15:07 PM »
You'll be better off getting a Multimeter mate. Will show you what's got power running through it.

I'm lucky with mine because it's got status lights for all components. :D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline jman

« Reply #782 on: September 12, 2012, 08:13:17 AM »
Yeah I know.. I know its definitely either the CPU or mobo though, I've tested most other components in another setup and they all work... I dont have a spare AM2 CPU to test nor another mobo with an AM2 socket.. the mobo lights are on though but that just indicates power I think.. I suspect its the CPU contact with the heatsink because I've found before when the monitors wouldnt work.. wiggling the fan on the heatsink would sometimes make it work... but then if the CPU is too hot or somethings wrong with it, I would expect beeps from the mobo.. but not getting any.. which makes me think the mobo is dead instead.  Could try removing all the RAM, I think that forces it to beep... got a few things Im gonna try at the weekend, its just such a pain in the arse - not something I really enjoy doing.

Offline jman

« Reply #783 on: September 12, 2012, 10:51:55 AM »
Have to admit I've been tempted to buy a Kinect recently...  :o 

Am borrowing my friends one tomorrow just to see if its even going to be playable where the 360 is set up.

£50 pre-owned at gamestation is not bad.. but I would only get a few games for it.. fruit ninja and kinect sports 2 being the main two I want to play... missus would appreciate the dancing shit.. but Im not that bothered about that.

When winter starts, its gonna be hard to keep up the cycling to work routine Ive got myself into in the past few months, wouldnt mind doing some light exercise at home when I cant get out on the bike and Kinect seems ideal ... it could be a complete waste of money though!

Offline Late

« Reply #784 on: September 12, 2012, 11:20:44 AM »
You do right to borrow one.
I didn't fancy it at all, but was impressed when I borrowed one for a day or two. Would've bought one at that point if it weren't for the fact my front room's a bit too small. The xbox kept trying to get me to move back or sideways slightly, to get into the optimum area, but it just wasn't possible to do so.
Rumours abound that Kinect 2 will have more cameras and therefore be able to track objects much more accurately and in smaller rooms.

Speaking of rumours and the future of Kinect... I read a canny rumour about future generations of Kinect-based gameplay, yesterday. Microsoft apparently have a patent filed for something vaguely akin to a star trek "holodeck". Kinect detects where you are and what you're doing. HDTV shows the main action. Projector fills the rest of the room in with background/peripheral info. AR glasses show virtual/holographic 3d objects within the room. (None of it addresses the issue of the user hitting walls/furniture if they take a few steps in any direction, mind.)

Of course, it's just a patent and the big companies file thousands of them every year with most amounting to nothing. Nice concept though :D

patentlyapple.com.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #785 on: September 12, 2012, 11:27:49 AM »
We're years away from that patent coming to fruition but that would be awesome lol. Kinect is pretty good but the lag is a major dealbreaker for me. They should have that sorted out for Kinect 2 when the 720 is released by putting the CPU back in, but I'll be getting a U and PS4 next gen I think.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline styles

« Reply #786 on: September 12, 2012, 06:53:22 PM »
Fired up skyrim for The first time in 3 months today.

Still enjoying it. Would love to crack on through the story.
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline harv

« Reply #787 on: September 12, 2012, 08:12:56 PM »
Omfg, Trine 2 on the U is looking bloody gorgeous :o

If a third party can get a game looking this good at launch I can't wait to see what the Nintendo developers are going to be capable of producing in a year or two. Same goes for ZombiU and Rayman Legends too, all 3 are looking stunning. ;D

Oops, forgot to post the link lol
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 08:15:25 PM by harv »

Offline Late

« Reply #788 on: September 12, 2012, 09:28:35 PM »
Harv's seen a game he wants to shag.
Guess what platform it's on...
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #789 on: September 12, 2012, 09:56:20 PM »
Lol, its a 2d sidescroller as well, not exactly the best type of game to showcase graphical power for obvious reasons, besides which there's a plethora of them on xbla with similar type of graphics, harv limits himself too much in gaming I'm not suprised he doesn't realise that

Offline harv

« Reply #790 on: September 12, 2012, 11:07:43 PM »
Not looking as good as that, that's on a par with the PC SKU...albeit at 720p. I thought the screenies shown at E3 were of the PC SKU but it's looking like they're the U screens right from the start...although there's always the possibility that they're bullshots which will be very disappointing :-\ >:(

Another one on my ever growing list of games to buy :o

Offline jman

« Reply #791 on: September 13, 2012, 08:26:10 AM »
You think it going to be on par with the PC SKU when its running at 720p LOL... it looks exactly like the 360 / PS3 versions.. which are also running at 720p... the fact that a small game like this is limited to 720p on a "next-gen" console tells you all you need to know about the Wii U's capabilities  ;)

And Shadow Complex and Bastian.. two games that look equally impressive in the graphical stakes me thinks.

Offline jman

« Reply #792 on: September 13, 2012, 08:32:00 AM »
Finished Enslaved last night...

I think the story loses a bit of momentum throughout the middle of the game (when you meet Piggsy)... it kinda turns from its serious roots and introduces a bit of comedy to the game.. but it finishes strongly.. and the epilogue finishes things off well... overall I enjoyed the game.. the gameplay was quite linear and simplistic.. but the story was fantastic and worth the play. 

7.5/10

Didnt realise it had chapter select.. so will possibly mop up a few achievements before consigning it back to the shelf.. wont 100% as theres one achievement that will take far too long to get... have got NHL 13, Dirt 3 and Enchanted Arms on their way now.. so no time to faff around... have bought way too many games in the last few weeks now  :-\  I feel a sale coming on again (although definitely not as many as last time!)

Offline harv

« Reply #793 on: September 13, 2012, 10:01:37 AM »
The U SKU of Trine 2 looks better than the PS3 and 360 SKUs.

Offline harv

« Reply #794 on: September 13, 2012, 11:22:30 PM »