https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 662631 times)

Offline Late

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #810 on: September 19, 2012, 11:52:31 PM »
...says the guy who's just ordered a new machine...
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #811 on: September 20, 2012, 12:50:58 AM »
...says the guy who's just ordered a new machine...

A new next gen machine... ;)

I wouldn't advise anyone buying a new current gen machine. The U is out in November and the PS4 and 720 are highly likely to come out around the same time next year. I really can't see the point in buying a new PS3 when your current one is working fine, it's only a full hard drive after all. :o
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Late

« Reply #812 on: September 20, 2012, 01:30:31 AM »
Thas a judgement call.
The new shape ps3 is as much next gen as the U though...
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline stupac

« Reply #813 on: September 20, 2012, 01:53:53 AM »
Over the last few months or so my PS3 has frozen a lot and I've had to manually restart it and i get the 'may be corrupted bla bla bla' so I let it do its thing and thankfully its always been ok but thats the other reason I might need a new one.

But I dont know whether the crashing is linked to the low memory or not? I mean its a 120GB and theres only about 2000MB of memory atm...
Arcadia Bay | FKA The One United

Offline harv

« Reply #814 on: September 20, 2012, 03:01:19 AM »
Thas a judgement call.
The new shape ps3 is as much next gen as the U though...

Nonsense.

And stupac, can't you just delete some old save files..? :-\
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline jman

« Reply #815 on: September 20, 2012, 09:06:06 AM »
I mean its a 120GB and theres only about 2000MB of memory atm...

2000MB? ???  Thats pretty much 2GB... which is plenty of room for game saves etc.. if your crashing with that much space left.. sounds like your PS3 is going down the swanny...

If you mean 200MB.. then thats a whole different ball game and you should definitely be freeing space up on the hard-drive... I guess its different for PS3 users having to install all your games to the hard-drive... is there no way you can delete a few games or other bits you wont play again

PS4 wise.. I think lates right.. going on rumours and such, we are expecting it to be officially announced in the summer of next year.. and for it to arrive late 2013 or late 2014.. same with the nextbox.. personally I think the nextbox will definitely be releasing xmas 2013 though.. I cant see how microsoft or sony can go another year with the current gen - especially as hardware/software numbers are constantly falling year on year...

I'd take a punt on the super slim PS3 though.. if your current one is still working.. go and trade it in.. they will test it powers on OK.. and accept it as a part-trade - I dont know how you'll deal with a hard-drive transfer in that case though.. you might have to back everything up on your pc/external hard-drive first.. (not even sure you can do that with the PS3??).. by the time the PS4 arrives, you'll have the super slim to trade in.. and you should still get a good price for it as long as you trade in early enough... I wouldnt bother with the Wii U at launch unless your a fan of nintendo stuff.. its well overpriced.

Offline Late

« Reply #816 on: September 20, 2012, 12:18:54 PM »
If you reckon there's a reasonable chance of it going tits up in the next 12 months then I'd say it's probably worth replacing. I had a similar dilemma about 10-12 months ago, when my 360 was struggling - didn't want to fork out for a replacement if the next gen is only a year or so away (there were rumours at the time that the 720 would be announced at the 2012 E3 and possibly up for sale Dec 2012). Definitely glad I did it, and now don't have the frustration and the worry every time I turn the machine on. And as Kieron mentioned - it's not completely money down the hole, as you'll recoup some if you sell/trade the old one, and you'll recoup more if you sell/trade the new one in a year or two, when the ps4 arrives.

The ps3 slim is coming down a bit more, now the superslim's been announced. 160gb version bundled with fifa 13 for £185.
Of course, 160gb ain't much of a step up from 120gb. (How do you fill 120gb? Surely you could easily free up about half of that by having a bit of a clean up?)
You'd need to weigh up the pros and cons between slim and superslim, really. (Apparently the new one's noisier, because the disk drive is under just a flimsy piece of thin plastic, thanks to that horrible top-loading design. Loud enough that it's a problem though?)

Offline stupac

« Reply #817 on: September 20, 2012, 08:11:20 PM »
Yeah I did have a bit of a clearout but yeah might just have to go through and delete a load more.

Don't know if anyone else downloaded the free version of DC Universe Online but that takes a whopping 18GB!  :o But that's actually not a bad little game considering it was free. So be good to keep that if possible but will more than likely delete it at some point cos that's 1/6 of my memory lol.

Will have another clearout of games & saves tonight...

Offline Late

« Reply #818 on: September 21, 2012, 11:59:38 AM »
Final Fantasy Anniversary Boxset (youtube).

Beautiful box set containing all FF games to date plus the upcoming FF:XIV.
Only available on ps3.
And only in Japan so far.
And it's an eye-watering ¥35,000 (so you're probably looking at about £350 if it comes out over here).

Offline jman

« Reply #819 on: September 21, 2012, 01:35:42 PM »
Awesome!  If the collection was priced towards £100-£150 (which is all I think its worth)... and it was available in europe.. I think I'd buy a PS3 just for that!!

Offline AVFCRoss

« Reply #820 on: September 21, 2012, 01:45:15 PM »
From the IGN UK FIFA 13 review;

"PlayStation Move, however, is incorporated less elegantly and less successfully. You use a Move wand to move your players around the pitch and point to where they should be passing the ball. It's difficult to pick up and having the colourful arrows used for aiming the Move controller frantically buzzing around the screen really undermines the illusion of the real game that FIFA strives towards creating."

So in essence, this whole pointer control thing for football games is crap then...Doesn't exactly sound like it's the revolutionary way to play football games as we were led to believe many times before, eh Harv?

I'll actually admit, I'm not IGN's biggest fan, but I fully see how using Move would in no way be a more efficient and immersive experience than using a standard joypad.

Offline Late

« Reply #821 on: September 21, 2012, 02:18:52 PM »
Awesome!  If the collection was priced towards £100-£150 (which is all I think its worth)... and it was available in europe.. I think I'd buy a PS3 just for that!!
I assumed it was all ported to ps3 when I heard is was Playstation only, but it now seems 1-9 will be on PS1 discs, 10-12 will be PS2, and 13 will be PS3.

Offline harv

« Reply #822 on: September 21, 2012, 04:02:33 PM »
From the IGN UK FIFA 13 review;

"PlayStation Move, however, is incorporated less elegantly and less successfully. You use a Move wand to move your players around the pitch and point to where they should be passing the ball. It's difficult to pick up and having the colourful arrows used for aiming the Move controller frantically buzzing around the screen really undermines the illusion of the real game that FIFA strives towards creating."

So in essence, this whole pointer control thing for football games is crap then...Doesn't exactly sound like it's the revolutionary way to play football games as we were led to believe many times before, eh Harv?

I'll actually admit, I'm not IGN's biggest fan, but I fully see how using Move would in no way be a more efficient and immersive experience than using a standard joypad.

Not sure how they've implemented it in FIFA but with Pro Evo on the Wii there's a slight learning curve but if you've ever played the game and know the fundamentals of creating space and making decent runs off the ball it's very easy to pick up. And I'd rather have lines on the screen combined with realistic football than no lines on the screen combined with unrealistic football. If you have two players playing each other, one with dual analogs and the other with pointer controls, the latter will always win due to having much more attacking options.

I'm surprised it's taken EA Sports this long to rip off the Pro Evo control scheme tbh.

Offline stupac

« Reply #823 on: September 21, 2012, 08:03:54 PM »
Got my 10th platinum trophy today  8)

Also FIFA13 in 1 week!  ;D

Offline Late

« Reply #824 on: September 22, 2012, 05:25:01 PM »
...De Blob 2... arrived today, so hopefully I'll give it a look tonight. ... it'll inevitably be played once or twice then put aside - but at least I've given the console a go. Not sure how many chances I've given it now. And there's always the remote chance we'll love this game, get back into the wii, and then end up playing some of the stack of games that have been barely touched.
Bag of crap, that De Blob. I thought it was for kids and adults, but it seems it's for five year olds.
Unfortunately my kids are too old - both thought it way too babyish.

Played a bit of Super Mario Galaxy 2 while we had the machine on. Okay game - but again a bit too childish. You get what you expect from Mario, though, and it whiled away a couple of hours. Doubt it'll get played again, now.