https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 662919 times)

Offline stupac

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #840 on: September 24, 2012, 09:02:19 PM »
Mushroom Battle mode? LOL!

I think Tekken's biggest selling point is that it is, in my opinion, the best fighting game franchise around, closely followed by Mortal Kombat. Not because you can dress the fighters up in mushroom hats lol.

Talk about turning a sophisticated fighting game into a kiddies game...
Arcadia Bay | FKA The One United

Offline harv

« Reply #841 on: September 24, 2012, 09:38:28 PM »
Yup, it looked like a bit of a giggle in that trailer I linked to. I've seen a fair amount of comments on videos and posts on a few forums from people that weren't thinking about getting it until they saw that video showing Mushroom Battle Mode and the Nintendo costumes.

I really think that Nintendo and Capcom have missed a trick by not bringing Nintendo Vs Capcom to the console. It's on a shitload of people's wishlists and has been for years. :-\
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Late

« Reply #842 on: September 24, 2012, 10:45:59 PM »
Aye, seeing Princess Peach fight Chun-Li is the stuff of wet dreams...
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline bealec

« Reply #843 on: September 25, 2012, 12:41:51 AM »
Aye, seeing Princess Peach fight Chun-Li is the stuff of wet dreams...

Well to be fair if they took em down the dead or alive route (massive bouncing boobs, small bikinis) then they could be onto something.

Offline jman

« Reply #844 on: September 25, 2012, 11:01:19 AM »
Just pre-ordered the Limited Edition of Halo 4.. probably the last game I'll buy this year... dropping November 6th.. cant wait  ;D

Offline Late

« Reply #845 on: September 25, 2012, 12:44:43 PM »
Still quite a few I'm looking forward to this year.

28 Sep 2012 - Dead or Alive 5. Yeah, it's silly and a bit pervy, but it's a fun fighting game.
12 Oct 2012 - XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Looking forward to this immensely - moreso as the launch approaches. By all accounts it's struck the right balance between looking good and new whilst staying true to the original.
30 Oct 2012 - Assassin's Creed 3. Have played and enjoyed every Assassin's Creed game so far, but in every instance I've waited about 6-12 months and picked it up for about £15. I imagine I'll do the same again this time.
06 Nov 2012 - Halo 4. Similar to Assassin's Creed, I've played and enjoyed every Halo but usually a long while after release - will probably wait for this to drop in price.
13 Nov 2012 - CoD: Black Ops 2. Said last year that I probably won't buy COD in future, but this one looks good in terms of single player and zombies. Fingers crossed for multiplayer being good too. Fingers crossed I've not fallen for the hype and bought the same game I've bought every November for the last 7 years or so. (I suspect that'll largely be the case!)

Will probably get XCOM and COD at release, and leave the others until they drop in price a bit.
Problem with that, of course, is that there's some great games coming out around March next year (including Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, SimCity, Colonial Marines, Metal Gear...)

Also keen to pick up Sleeping Dogs some time soon. It's been out for about six weeks now, and it's price is plummeting. Will get it soon for about £15.
Tempted, too, by Darksiders 2 (came out in June) and The Walking Dead (episodic releases so far, but full game in Dec).

So many games, so little time. I'm finding I don't play as much as I used to / as much as I'd like to lately, so the backlog isn't going down.
Need to get disk 4 for Losy Odyssey soon, and I put C&C Red Alert 3 into the machine 2 days ago but haven't actually played it yet. Did enjoy the incredibly cheesy into vid, though. Some familiar faces in there, including Tim Curry (don't get excited, Harv - he wasn't in his stockings and suspenders...).
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #846 on: September 25, 2012, 01:19:14 PM »
The zombie part of Black Ops 2 also has a single player campaign too. And you can be sure that the level design will be pretty good thanks to it being a Treyarch installment.

You can't help wondering how long the Call of Duty franchise will continue to fly off shelves though, it's pretty much been done to death :-\
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Late

« Reply #847 on: September 25, 2012, 03:08:34 PM »
Is zombie campaign confirmed? I heard a rumour a few days back but didn't pay much attention as I thought it unlikely.
All in all I've preferred Treyarch's games to Infinity Ward's, in recent years - but level design on the multiplayer maps is definitely not their strong point. Most of IW's multiplayer maps are a lot better.
They don't do zombies, though, so Treyarch win - and the design on the zombie levels is usually pretty good.

I feel the need, now, to rank the zombie levels. I'll ignore the "Dead Ops" arcade game.
Worst to best, then:
Call of the Dead. The idea sounded good - get some classic horror stars to voice the heroes as they fight back waves of zombies lead by George A Romero. The inception was poor, though. Romero was just irritating (and made it impossible for your group to make a relatively safe area) and the zombies came from the ground instead of through windows - which sounds fine but didn't really work.
Five. Only one exit from the start area, annoying characters (JFK etc.), and quite a long and overly complicated route to get to the good weapons/powerups.
Shi No Numa. I probably spent less time playing this than any other zombie map. To be fair, I think it had a lot of fans - but if memory serves it came out at about the same time as some other map I loved, so this one didn't get much of a look in...
Nacht Der Untotten. First ever COD zombies map, it was fantastic fun at the time - but it was small, with only a handful of weapons and very few features you see in later maps, so doesn't stand up well now.
Verrückt. I think this was the second map, and the first that was properly thought out. Introduced loads of new features, most of which continued into every map since.
Kino Der Toten. One of two maps on the Black Ops disk (along with Five - the not so good game mentioned above) it was great to see Treyarch had brought zombies back to COD, after IW had had the reins for a year. Decent map, that I think was the first to allow you to pretty much loop around the full map - so if your timing and concentration were good you could last quite a long time by circling the full map, shooting backwards at the constant crowd following you.
Shangri-La. The map itself was fun, but this took the "Easter Eggs" side of things to a whole new level. Lots of complex steps to take, and if you got through them all (I never did) you got a tasty bonus.
Der Riese. Definitely one of the greatest zombie map to date. With a relatively simple map, but introducing teleporters and the pack a punch machine, it also had a balcony which - if the team worked well together - could be defended for hours. There would be panicky moments when you'd have to dash off to get a new weapon/perk/pack-a-punch etc. but that was part of the fun. Probably the best teamwork level (at the time - it's a bit dated now).
Moon. Nazi Zombies on the Moon?! Oh hell yes! great map, with clever easter egg side quest. The astronaut feller that followed you around (like Romero in "Call of the Dead") was annoying, but that aside this was a fantastic map.
Ascension. Fantastic fun, again. The lunar landers were great, and well positioned, the steps to unlock the pack-a-punch were clever but easy to follow, and it had a couple of decent sized open areas you could run around in a circle - with the zombies naturally ending up in the middle of (so long as you were careful) - so it was possible for several players to hang out in different areas of the map, each containing and killing lots of zombies single-handedly. Definitely the best level if your team isn't working - as you can just leave them, go somewhere else, and do fine.

Look forward to seeing Nuketown Zombies*, and whatever other zombie levels they come up with in Blops2. :D

*I think that's only available if you buy a premium copy of the game, but I'm sure it'll be made available as DLC too.

Offline jman

« Reply #848 on: September 26, 2012, 01:20:09 PM »
Bloody hell, 2 hours worth of Kinect, 2 days in a row.. my body is bastard hurting... bruised my bloody big toe and my feet feel red raw as well... Shouldnt really be playing jumpy, stretchy, runny games in bare feet on a hardwood surface really... but hey ho.. will be doing another 2 hours tonight... some of the champion modes on Kinect Sports 1 are extremely hard.. so it might take a while.. but hopefully this will be a game I can 100%

Offline ancelotti

« Reply #849 on: September 26, 2012, 05:29:33 PM »
*cue Harv's comment about Kinect's game-breaking lag*

Offline harv

« Reply #850 on: September 26, 2012, 06:44:12 PM »
I was going to say that I was the same after playing Wii Sports and The Fight Lights Out. ;)

Nintendo have announced the final list of launch titles in the US. Quite an impressive lineup. :o

Probably have to wait for some of those over here due to localisation, bloody forrin speaking gits in Europe >:(

Edit: Well EA have completely lost what remnants of a plot they had. They've decided to release the Mass Effect Trilogy for the PS3 and 360 before Mass Effect 3 for the U, and at a cheaper price. Absolutely insane decision lol. They've had dev kits for at least 18 months, why on earth haven't they worked on a U SKU of the Mass Effect Trilogy during all this time..? Insane business decision. I can see Mass Effect 3 flopping hard on the U. :o

I could see the point if the exclusivity for the first game still held but all 3 are coming to the PS3. I'm surprised some of these decision makers in the industry are allowed out without supervision tbh lololol ;D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 01:55:52 AM by harv »

Offline Late

« Reply #851 on: September 27, 2012, 09:52:17 AM »
I'm sure if you ran EA it'd be a success instead of the failure it is now. It's amazing they don't know as much about game retail as you.

The imbeciles are focussing more on the consoles that have sold tens of millions rather than on the white elephant? What fools they are. They'll sell loads of copies of their game, now. Which obviously isn't what they want.
Ummm.

Sickener...
About fifty hours into Lost Odyssey and finished disk 3 (of 4). Put disk 4 in and it's unreadable.  >:(
Ironically it seems to be the disk with least scratches.
Gonna have to try and find somewhere with a disk repair machine. I used to use Gamestation but my nearest two closed in the last year along with my nearest Game. I'd guess blockbuster and cex probably do it.
Popped into my local Blockbuster yesterday, and told them the problem. They said they'll put the disk through the machine for free (I bought it second hand from blockbuster online) - but it'll have to be in a couple of weeks as they're out of polish (they'll get some next week but I'm working away for a while).

Offline jman

« Reply #852 on: September 27, 2012, 10:55:48 AM »
I wouldnt call the launch lineup for the Wii U strong...

12 of them are complete pish for a start
Skylanders Giants
Transformers Prime
Wipeout 3
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Sing Party
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
ESPN Sports Connection
Just Dance 4
Rabbids Land
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
Game Party Champions

From the remaining 11 - 8 of them can be bought on another console/pc (and in some cases, the Wii U versions are much worse)
Call of Duty Black Ops 2
EA Sports FIFA Soccer 13
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Darksiders 2
Assassin's Creed 3
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
Scribblenauts Unlimited

And your left with...
New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
ZombiU

Seeing as Nintendo Land will be bundled with the majority of consoles sold.. there are actually only 2 games actually worth paying attention too.. it comes as no shock as them 2 are what people expect to sell the most on the console too...

In total though, 2 FPS games, 1 Sports game and 0 decent driving games - not exactly what a "core" gamer would want in a launch lineup window..

Just out of interest.. what games are you buying on day 1 harv ?

Offline Late

« Reply #853 on: September 27, 2012, 11:19:45 AM »
You're forgetting that the U versions will be the "definitive versions" - so good people will stop playing their ps3/360 versions and go pay £350 so they can play it on the wii instead!

Can't much disagree with your assessment of the launch line-up.
Haven't seen anything on Wipeout 3, so no idea if it's any good, but Wipeout with gyroscopic controls sounds good, tbh. The other 11 in your first list definitely look to be filler though. (Nowt wrong with that, mind - better to have a few top games plus some filler rather than just a few top games. Now all they need is a few top games...)

Of the next batch, none of those eight appeal more on the U than on the 360. Half of them will be good, but better than the 360/ps3? Nope. Definitely won't make me fork out for a new console.

Of the others:
I'm not much of a SMB fan so won't comment on that other than to say I wouldn't buy it.
Nintendo Land isn't really a complete game, but should probably prove fun for quite a while for most people who buy it. (Note that it's only bundled with the Premium pack, so I'm not whether sure "Nintendo Land will be bundled with the majority of consoles sold" is correct. I'm not sure the premium pack will outsell the base and the other bundle (ZombiU over here) combined...)
ZombiU looks very good, but the lack of multiplayer is shocking.

All in all, there's a few decent titles in there, but nothing to sell the console. And there's a few more interesting looking tiles to come later in the launch window (Wonderful 101, Colonial Marines, and Lego City Undercover) but again, nothing that'll come close to convincing me to buy it.

New zombie modes on COD sound interesting. Details here.

Offline jman

« Reply #854 on: September 27, 2012, 11:51:30 AM »
Wipeout 3 = TV show Wipeout... not cool futuristic racing Wipeout  ;D hence "pish"

Scribblenauts to be fair is only available on 3DS, Wii U or the PC.. but you have to be of a certain age to appreciate Scribblenauts I think  :o

ZombiU bundle isnt available in the US.. premium pack will definitely outsell the base package at launch - always does..if nintendo had any ounce of sense they would distribute more premium than base
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 11:54:55 AM by jman »