https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 663061 times)

Offline Late

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #855 on: September 27, 2012, 12:32:06 PM »
Ohhh, that Wipeout. Screw that, then.  ;D
Shame - as I say, the racer with tilt control sounds okay.

There's only two bundles in the States? Knew we had ZombiU as a third and the Japs had MH3 as third, so incorrectly assumed the Yanks would have a third version too. Premium should definitely do okay in the US, then.
Shouldn't sell well in Japan, though - the base package and the MH3 package both make more sense (and none of the bundles there include Nintendo Land).
It's a toss up over here. None of the bundles appeal, but if you were to go for one is there much appeal in the Premium version? I'd imagine demand for each of the three bundles should probably be about equal.

Meh, it's all conjecture. I just hope the console fails to sell very well and Nintendo learn to stop taking the piss with their underpowered consoles and inflated prices.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #856 on: September 27, 2012, 02:11:30 PM »
You've forgotten about Rayman Legends too. I know for a fact that it's a system seller.

You've got 4 system sellers there: NSMB U, Nintendo Land, ZombiU and Rayman Legends.

As for EA and Mass Effect, financially they're in the shit. Have been for years. Releasing the Trilogy on the U would have been a better idea than releasing Mass Effect 3 on the U after releasing the Trilogy on the PS3 and 360 and having it priced 20 dollars more expensive than the Trilogy. How could you possibly agree with EA's thinking that doing that is a better idea than releasing the Trilogy on the U..? :o

The U is guaranteed to sell millions, the better launch/launch window games such as ZombiU, Assassins Creed 3 and Rayman Legends are guaranteed to sell millions. Bringing the Trilogy to the U should have been a no-brainer. Spreading the cost of bringing the Trilogy to a fourth platform would mean that you'd probably only need to shift 1.5m units in total to make a profit.

And regarding Ninja Gaiden 3, the PS3 and 360 SKUs were Beta versions, the U is getting the finished product lol.

And I'm getting the following:

Definite Day 1
  • Premium ZombiU bundle
  • Assassins Creed 3
  • Darksiders 2
  • Black Ops 2
  • FIFA 13
Christmas
  • Batman Arkham City
  • Rayman Legends
  • Lego City Undercover
  • Ninja Gaiden 3
Launch Window Definite
  • Wonderful 101
  • Aliens: Colonial Marines
  • Pikmin 3
Digital
  • Trine 2
  • Nano Assault Neo
  • Little Inferno

Good job my betting bank keeps on increasing lol
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Late

« Reply #857 on: September 27, 2012, 02:36:49 PM »
You've forgotten about Rayman Legends too. I know for a fact that it's a system seller.
You've got 4 system sellers there: NSMB U, Nintendo Land, ZombiU and Rayman Legends.

What is your definition of a system seller?
You could argue that "Fitness Evolved 2013" is a system seller - because in a world of around seven billion people there's going to be at least one person that's buying a U because they want that. If your definition of system seller stretches as far as that then yes, Rayman Legends is definitely a system seller. There's probably at least two or three people in the world who would be buying the U mainly because they want the new Rayman game.

By most sane people's definitions, though, Rayman Legends is NOT a system seller. (I'm pretty sure none of those four games is, tbh.)
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #858 on: September 27, 2012, 02:53:23 PM »
Why on earth are you getting Fifa 13 on the Wii U... not only are the controls gimped but its also missing features from the 360 and PS3 versions - most notably - all of Ultimate Team..  and Blops2 on the Wii U makes no sense either given nintendos online service...

If you were after the best gameplay you wouldnt be buying them on the Wii U.. it says a lot about the U's launch lineup that you've had to plum for 2 inferior versions of multiplatform games to start your Wii U games collection  ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #859 on: September 27, 2012, 03:49:40 PM »
The controls won't be gimped, they'll be improved for those that want to take advantage of not relying on crappy AI for off-the-ball runs. And for those that really want to put up with crappy AI you can play it like FIFA on the PS3 and 360. Yes, it is missing Ultimate Team but even so it's still a million miles better than FIFA 06 that launched with the 360. And it's going to look better graphically compared to the PS3 and 360 SKUs too.

As for Black Ops 2, again it's going to be prettier. It's going to be the first Call of Duty on a console to be in HD for starters, although I'm pretty sure it's not going to be in 1080p at 60fps as has been rumoured, unless the other SKUs are in 720p.

And how do you know what the online for the U is going to be like..? Third parties have had a fair amount of input into the system so it should be up to snuff, and Nintendo have finally ditched GameSpy so that's a major improvement already.

I'm just hoping that Treyarch are going to give us a pointer controls option.

Another Edit: Another hands-on of ZombiU from Edge, here. Can't wait to play this, I'm also hoping Ubisoft are going to have an option to turn off the crosshairs, although that may make it more than insanely difficult lololol :o ;D :P
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 08:30:48 PM by harv »
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline jman

« Reply #860 on: September 28, 2012, 02:50:50 PM »
I didnt mean nintendos online service will be crap (although Im pretty sure it will be).. its just the 360/PS3 versions will have larger, online connected userbase to play multiplayer on Blops2...and never heard of someone buying a COD game to just play single player... I mean.. isnt it all about the multiplayer nowadays?

And by all accounts the Wii U controls for Fifa 13 are gimped... gamepad is made redundant due to the fact that if you try and do anything on the fly with it you have to take your hands off the controls... coupled with the fact you also have to take your eyes off the action and the menus are not built for touch controls makes it all too fiddly to be useful... but then who didnt guess that might be an issue in some games...??  Its missing features from the game like Ultimate Team and other features such as AI Curved Runs which are rumoured to be missing... it will also be the last version to be released which will again result in a smaller connected userbase for online multiplayer.. like I said, your 1st choices tell a lot about what you really think of the Wii U's launch lineup  ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #861 on: September 28, 2012, 03:15:40 PM »
You'll have plenty of people buying the U SKU of Black Ops 2, you won't have any problems finding online multiplayer opponents.

And we'll have to wait and see about FIFA, all hands-on reports I've seen have been positive.

Offline Late

« Reply #862 on: September 28, 2012, 03:30:56 PM »
I can see it now. Little Billy's parents have more money than sense, and are clueless about gaming so have pre-ordered him a U.
It gets to 13th November and all of Billy's friends buy COD on the 360. Billy obviously decides not to bother getting it though - he'd rather wait a few weeks to get it on the U and cross his fingers that all his friends decide to spunk £350 to join him on the U's untested  and sparsely populated online service.

I see why his nick-name is Billy-no-mates.

Offline harv

« Reply #863 on: September 28, 2012, 05:15:52 PM »
Nice. Have just got Rayman Legends for £19.95 thanks to Zavvi wanting to keep my pre-order. Was originally planning to get that around Chrimbo so may have to rearrange my day one choices now. Hopefully they're going to do some more games I want cheap too, although both games so far are Ubisoft games. Still, I'm also planning on getting Assassins Creed 3 and Rabbids Land so if I can get those discounted I'll be happy. ;D

And when did I say that Billy would be ditching his 360..? I've just said that there would be no problem finding other players online...although you may find a very small minority switching to the only HD SKU. Because of the improved eye candy you should see the U SKU getting higher review scores.

Generational fatigue has set in during this last year or so, you may find more than a few gamers wanting a new toy to play with that aren't happy with waiting another year, particularly if the likes of ZombiU and Rayman Legends get rave reviews and plenty of hype.

Offline Late

« Reply #864 on: September 28, 2012, 06:29:58 PM »
So you think Billy's buying the game on two platforms?

Offline harv

« Reply #865 on: September 28, 2012, 07:58:10 PM »
You might find Billy not buying the 360 SKU at all if he's suffering from generational fatigue and wants to play NSMB U, ZombiU and Rayman Legends as well as Black Ops 2 that isn't in sub-HD. Like I've said, there will be a minority of gamers fed up with having the same console for 7 years.

I've seen a few people holding back from buying Darksiders 2, Arkham City GOTY Edition and Assassins Creed 3 to play them on the U. I've also seen plenty of people that weren't considering getting a Wii U until more info on ZombiU and Rayman Legends has been made known, particularly since Ubisoft made it clear that the latter was a true exclusive rather than a timed exclusive.

Tbh I'm surprised that the CoD franchise keeps on selling so well, I'm only getting it for the U because I've stayed clear of the franchise for a couple of years. Activision aren't quite milking the franchise to the same ridiculous extent as they did with Guitar Hero but a new installment that's pretty much a carbon copy of the others every year can't keep on selling the way it has, surely..? :-\

They need to do something to shake it up a bit imo, different conflicts from the obligatory World War II and modern combat. I'd pay good money to see a huge map the size of Vietnam, an open world affair being the recreation of the Vietnam War right from the beginning. Similar to the way that MAG worked but with the added bonus of having other players on the Vietcong side laying booby traps and disguising themselves as villagers. Have players starting off as privates and then getting promoted to other ranks. But if you die, your character is dead and any skills, rank, weapons go with him, leaving you to start off as a private again. Have GIs being captured and tortured using a mini-game to see whether the other player gets important info.

I want a Vietnam War simulation, warts and all.

Or, as I mentioned before go back even further - Vikings, Saxons, Romans, Ancient Greeks, the list of wars that mankind have waged throughout history is pretty much endless, but we still get lumbered with World War II and modern combat every single fucking time :o :o :o

I'm going to quite happily play Black Ops 2 this year because I've given the last two a miss but if Activision want my money next year they're going to have to shake things up a bit.

Offline bealec

« Reply #866 on: September 28, 2012, 09:57:36 PM »
I've seen loads of people holding back from buying Assassins Credd 3 mainly due to the fact that ITS NOT OUT YET!

Offline harv

« Reply #867 on: September 28, 2012, 10:41:51 PM »
I've seen loads of people holding back from buying Assassins Credd 3 mainly due to the fact that ITS NOT OUT YET!

The U SKU is out exactly a month after the others ;)

Offline Late

« Reply #868 on: September 28, 2012, 11:49:29 PM »
You might find Billy not buying the 360 SKU at all
You're contradicting yourself a bit (nothing new there).
I asked whether you think the hypothetical kid is going to eschew the 360 version of the game, despite all his friends having it, so that he can get the U version with it's relatively small and untested online and you said "when did I say that Billy would be ditching his 360"
But now you're saying he'll not get the 360 version.

Pick a side of the fence.
Do you think a kid who buys COD every year to play with his mates but this year has got the U on preorder is going to buy the game on the 360 or on the U?

I'll give you a clue:
Even if they both came out on the same day he'd go for the 360 version, because that's what all his mates are playing - and he wants to play with his friends.
But they don't come out on the same day. The U version will be two and a half weeks later.

...generational fatigue...
Yes, you've learned a new buzz phrase, we get it...

Billy...wants to play NSMB U, ZombiU and Rayman Legends...
Billy's my hypothetical example, and I say he's got taste and friends. So he's not that bothered about Mario or Rayman, nor about a game that's screaming for multiplayer but doesn't allow it.

...as well as Black Ops 2 that isn't in sub-HD.
Billy isn't overly concerned that the 360's Black Ops 2 has only 600-650 horizontal lines, upscaled by the console to 720 lines on his 720p HD-ready television. A full HD version of the game would not be discernibly different on his tv.

Like I've said, there will be a minority of gamers fed up with having the same console for 7 years.
Agreed - there will be some, and they will be a small minority.
If you're sick of your console there's better options than forking out £300 for a U.
Like paying around £150 for a 360 or £200 for a ps3...

I've seen a few people holding back from buying Darksiders 2, Arkham City GOTY Edition and Assassins Creed 3 to play them on the U.
People will definitely hold off buying games they want at the moment if they've committed to buying the U. It'd be stupid to buy a new console and then not use it. They need to make sure they get a few games so that the U will get some use before it ends up gathering dust.
They're not holding off buying those games because the U version will be better.
Darksiders 2 - currently £20 on the ps3 and 360, or
Darksiders 2 - likely £35 on the U - but you get a slightly faster horse, a different coloured sword, and a few other largely inconsequential bits and bobs...
If you're keen to get the game you'll have it by now. The only reason to hang on and get the U version in a couple of months (by which time it'll likely be around a tenner on the ps3/360) is if you want to pad out your collection.
Pretty much the same story with Arkham City. Everyone's played it and finished it a year ago.
The GOTY edition was ready and released half a year ago (but bosses in Europe decided to hold it back until near Christmas), and there's nothing in it that you can't already get. The gyroscopic/touchscreen additions for the U are a laughing stock, and serve as a fantastic example of how U games will get silly features added to them that make no sense and add nothing to the game, just so the novelty controller gets used.
And as Chris pointed out, nobody has held out on buying the ps3/360 versions of AC3 so they can get it on the U, because it's not out yet. And if they're massive fans of Assassin's Creed most will want it as soon as it comes out - and won't want to wait an extra month to get it on the U. Unless, as mentioned previously, they want to pad out their U collection by buying extra games for it in some attempt to justify the console purchase.

I've also seen plenty of people that weren't considering getting a Wii U until more info on ZombiU and Rayman Legends has been made known, particularly since Ubisoft made it clear that the latter was a true exclusive rather than a timed exclusive.
They're idiots, then. ZombiU doesn't have multiplayer, and Rayman is a very dated game these days. I quite enjoyed the one that came out last year (Legends? Something like that) mainly for nostalgic reasons, but it wasn't actually a very good game. The new game just makes the graphics better (on a game where high detail is pretty much superfluous) and adds a silly gamepad overwatch feature for 2 player games.
No sale.

Tbh I'm surprised that the CoD franchise keeps on selling so well, I'm only getting it for the U because I've stayed clear of the franchise for a couple of years. Activision aren't quite milking the franchise to the same ridiculous extent as they did with Guitar Hero but a new installment that's pretty much a carbon copy of the others every year can't keep on selling the way it has, surely..? :-\
Partly agree (though they milk it quite enough - it costs a bloody fortune to buy the game and all the content or subscribe to Elite).
COD (and FIFA) will continue to sell exceptionally well, though, despite not really changing massively from year to year because they're all about the online multiplayer. People love it, and will happily keep forking out for new maps etc.
Lots of people become jaded with it, eventually - but there's more new converts to these games than converts away from them, year in year out, so they'll continue to thrive for the foreseeable future.

They need to do something to shake it up a bit imo, different conflicts from the obligatory World War II and modern combat.
Like maybe having some set in the cold war, and possible some set around 13 years in the future.
Oh wait - that's exactly what Treyarch have done with the last two releases...

I'm going to quite happily play Black Ops 2 this year because I've given the last two a miss but if Activision want my money next year they're going to have to shake things up a bit.
I'm sure you'll be missed.
Except I'd imagine that this time next year you'll probably be playing "backup" games on your Nintendo so your coin won't be heading Activision's way whether you play it or not.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 11:51:13 PM by Late »

Offline harv

« Reply #869 on: September 29, 2012, 12:52:03 AM »
Darksiders 2 on the U is going to be the definitive version. All DLC and 5 hours worth of exclusive bonus content. It's also unlikely to suffer from the framerate and screen tearing issues that the PS3 suffers from. I can see it doing pretty well, although obviously not as well as the other SKUs given their 3 month (?) head start.

Arkham City should do well, the GOTY Edition is still selling for the PS3 and 360 so I can see that selling for the U too.

The only U title that's going to struggle is Mass Effect 3, but then EA have seriously fucked up with that daft decision.

And the Rayman game you're referring to is Rayman Origins. ;) And it's quite a popular franchise, Legends should do over a million in the first few months. Nintendo and Ubisoft are going to market the crap out of both ZombiU and Rayman Legends because both titles are system sellers.