https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 663028 times)

Offline jman

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #870 on: October 01, 2012, 09:01:13 AM »
Xbox Live Rewards is apparently now tying in with Gamerscore.. the higher the gamer score you have, the bigger percentage rebate you get back on xbox live purchases... would be great rewarding gamers for simply gaming.. but the highest percentage you can get is 2%  ;D (for people with gamerscores above 25k) 

Tis free to sign up for it.. better than nothing.. only just though..

Was meaning to start up either AC:Rev, Dirt 3 or Enchanted Arms this weekend.. but then got sidetracked with NHL 13 and decided to go watch some real hockey instead.. so actually didnt get anytime to get stuck into something new... am getting annoyed with NHL 13 though... set the game on Rookie difficulty to start with.. and its now way too easy, I am the top goals, assists and points scorer in the whole of the NHL by miles lol... so I want to change it to Pro which I know is a big step up in terms of how hard the game gets.... but would have to start my whole "Be A Pro" career again.. why cant I change difficulty when I see fit.. stupid really.

Offline jman

« Reply #871 on: October 01, 2012, 09:21:33 AM »
And the Rayman game you're referring to is Rayman Origins. ;) And it's quite a popular franchise, Legends should do over a million in the first few months. Nintendo and Ubisoft are going to market the crap out of both ZombiU and Rayman Legends because both titles are system sellers.

Do you know how many copies Rayman Origins sold across every platform in its entire lifetime.. it struggled past 1 million... and the Wii version had the lowest sales of the 3 consoles...

So on one platform in a few months, Legends will outsell Origins... ? lol.. OK.  If anyone buying a Wii U is gonna buy a platform game.. it will be NSMBU, not Legends.. Legends wont even be in the top 5 Wii U games launch games sold.. it'll do well to hit 500k imo.

Offline harv

« Reply #872 on: October 01, 2012, 09:31:45 AM »
Rayman Legends is going to have a huge marketing push from both Nintendo and Ubisoft, it's going to perform much better than Origins.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Late

« Reply #873 on: October 01, 2012, 10:18:01 AM »
Harv's predictions of game sales is always right. I'm with him.
It'll probably best COD's multi-format sales.

Xbox Live Rewards is apparently now tying in with Gamerscore.. the higher the gamer score you have, the bigger percentage rebate you get back on xbox live purchases... would be great rewarding gamers for simply gaming.. but the highest percentage you can get is 2%  ;D (for people with gamerscores above 25k) 

Tis free to sign up for it.. better than nothing.. only just though..
Pretty poor, that. Shouldn't moan when you're getting something for nothing, but 2% is naff. You also get a free gift on your birthday - with a value of approximately 15p. So that'll be some shite avatar item, I guess.

TBH Sony's looking more appealing to me than Microsoft lately.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #874 on: October 01, 2012, 10:25:20 AM »
Rayman Legends is going to have a huge marketing push from both Nintendo and Ubisoft, it's going to perform much better than Origins.

Its still not going to sell as many as your suggesting...

Nintendo have said they expect to sell 10.5 million units (Wii + Wii U) before March 2013.. everyone is saying thats a major overestimate by the way... but we'll go with those figures... if you take the Wii out of the equation.. as a conservative estimate.. lets say 1.5million of those units are Wii consoles... so Nintendo expect to sell 9million Wii U consoles in 4 months.. so in its "first few months" (3).. lets say it sells 7 million consoles... its not 1 in 7 though as legends is only available at launch in europe.. so being generous.. lets say half of the Wii U consoles sold are by people who actually can buy Rayman Legends (as the console is region locked if you didnt know)...so now your down to 3.5 million consoles in the "first few months"... and thats a very generous estimate!!!

You really expect that 1 in 3.5 people will buy rayman legends...when not only is it coming out at the same time as another exclusive 2D first party platformer but loads of other titles including COD and Fifa.....you need your head checked  :o
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 10:34:53 AM by jman »

Offline jman

« Reply #875 on: October 01, 2012, 10:34:34 AM »

Sony's what.. network..??  I wouldnt see the difference to be honest.. havent gamed online for a while now... have no need or urge too... quite happy with what the 360 has offered in terms of DLC and arcade titles recently though.

Offline Late

« Reply #876 on: October 01, 2012, 11:35:35 AM »

Sony's what.. network..??  I wouldnt see the difference to be honest.. havent gamed online for a while now... have no need or urge too... quite happy with what the 360 has offered in terms of DLC and arcade titles recently though.

Was rather vague, there, wasn't I! I meant their premium service. And their free one, too, to be perfectly honest.

I get pretty much nothing out of Microsoft's premium service these days. I only really ever used it for COD (occasionally other games get played online, but it's rare and usually only a couple of goes) - and as I couldn't get into the last COD I don't think I've gotten any use at all out of my Gold subscription in the last 10 or 11 months.
Whilst Playstation Plus is a bit more expensive* at least you're getting a free game from time to time - (and we're not talking some crappy indie thing - we're talking about good games here) - as well as the stuff you get from Gold (discounts/sales, etc.).

I managed to add about 20 months on to my account for £1 a month a year or two back (and already had the best part of a year on my account at that point), and there's a chance I'll get back into COD when the new one comes out next month, so I've not given serious consideration to cancelling my subs - if I did I'd get a small refund then inevitably fall in love with COD and pay through the nose for a new Gold sub.
But as I currently see things:

Free:
Microsoft you get pretty much nowt.
Sony you can play online multiplayer.
Premium:
Microsoft you can play online multiplayer and get game discounts.
Sony you can play online multiplayer, you get game discounts, and you get free full games from time to time.

Simplified, there, as it doesn't take into account other factors (numbers of people online, frequency of drop-outs, cross-game party chat, etc.) but that's the bullet points in my mind at present...

* My understanding is PS PLus is about £40 rrp but can be had for £30 if you catch a good deal, whereas MS Gold is about £40 rrp but can be had for as little as £12 if you're very lucky (but more likely around £22-£25).
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #877 on: October 01, 2012, 12:30:48 PM »
You get full free games... let your PS+ subscription drop and you lose access to them all... so you dont get games for free.. its more like a free rental for as long as you stay a PS+ subscriber.... not to bash the free game stuff.. its good.. but for me personally.. its not great.. chances are if its a game I wanted to play, I'd of already played it by the time it was available for free...

The grass is always greener though... sometimes its easy to forget everything the 360 does seemlessly through XBL..... you know you have to manually synch up all your trophies on PSN... then of course the fact you can only log into one PSN account at one time on one console, so no multi-account gaming... the lengthy firmware updates, no notification context button... no cross game chat.... always last on DLC content... theres tons of reasons that XBL is the best service out there...

...but if your just after online gaming and free games... PS+ is probably the best cost effective solution at the moment

Edit : And your pretty much right about the prices.. the main difference is that you can only buy PS+ through sony, hence why the high price tag compared to MS and why the deals on it are very few and far between.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:35:00 PM by jman »

Offline harv

« Reply #878 on: October 01, 2012, 01:08:03 PM »
We'll have to wait and see. ;)

With regards to Live and PSN, Live only outshines PSN in the States in terms of value. We get bugger all for our money over here.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Late

« Reply #879 on: October 01, 2012, 01:34:21 PM »
Don't try dragging Nintendo into it, Harv.

The Commodore 64 had better online services than Nintendo...

Offline harv

« Reply #880 on: October 01, 2012, 04:53:05 PM »
I didn't mention anything to do with Nintendo you loon :-\ ???

Offline AVFCRoss

« Reply #881 on: October 01, 2012, 05:15:40 PM »
You get full free games... let your PS+ subscription drop and you lose access to them all... so you dont get games for free.. its more like a free rental for as long as you stay a PS+ subscriber.... not to bash the free game stuff.. its good.. but for me personally.. its not great.. chances are if its a game I wanted to play, I'd of already played it by the time it was available for free...

True, but you do keep the subscription for a whole year, thats plenty of time to actually play the game extensively and get the most out of it before you effectively lose it....I mean, when you consider Live is the same price JUST to play online, it's a no brainer really...I think it's criminal Xbox still charge for people to experience online gaming...Especially when you consider that online gaming is a huge component for alot of games these days.

Has noone ever seen the notion of paying £40 for a game, and then realising you need to fork out a further £40 to get the full package out of it (I know that isn't per game, but you're still paying the same price as PS3 users who can access all of the content at no additional cost, which is how it should be, imo), maybe that's just me though...

I'd buy into Playstaton Plus if they did more deals on DLC, because thats all I buy on the store...The free games are excellent, but they've usually already been out for a while and I already own them/have beaten them...You also get minis, PSN titles and now Vita titles, not to mention a whole load of other less direct perks like Avatars, early access to betas and demos, premium wallpapers, extra cloud storage, exclusive unlockables for certain games and first choice on store updates.

Call me a fanboy if you want, but like I said, no brainer for me.

Offline Late

« Reply #882 on: October 02, 2012, 04:41:41 PM »
You get full free games... let your PS+ subscription drop and you lose access to them all... so you dont get games for free.. its more like a free rental for as long as you stay a PS+ subscriber....
Meh, like I say, at present I'm keeping my premium paid up and am effectively getting nothing.
If I had premium running on PS I'd regularly be given full games (whilst still on premium).
Most are a couple of years old, and a good quarter I'd probably either already have or not be interested in, but that's still a good return imho.

Speaking of... coming up in the next fortnight on ps+ are:
Hell Yeah! Wrath of Dead Rabbit
Bulletstorm
Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition

Of those, I'd play the first, I've already completed the second, and I'd play the third. Looks good to me.

As mentioned, though, I've completely disregarded lots of great stuff Gold brings to the table.

Offline harv

« Reply #883 on: October 03, 2012, 02:40:40 AM »
Bloody hell, this GIF is taken from the second ZombiU Dev Diary:

That has to be either a cutscene or pre-rendered but it's looking very pretty 8)

Offline jman

« Reply #884 on: October 03, 2012, 07:47:05 AM »
Speaking of... coming up in the next fortnight on ps+ are:
Hell Yeah! Wrath of Dead Rabbit
Bulletstorm
Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition

Of those, I'd play the first, I've already completed the second, and I'd play the third. Looks good to me.

If it makes you feel any better.. you could probably buy all of those retail games on ebay and sell them all again for the same price 3-6 months down the line... it'd be no different than owning ps+ ... well apart from the fact you wouldnt have to pay £40 for the privilege and you can choose whatever games you want, I've been doing it with games I bought on ebay years ago and still got the same price when I sold them..

...if you had wanted to play the games, you would of done so by now.... RE is over 3 years old and bulletstorm is getting on to 2 years old... never heard of the top one but it has a 68% rating on metacritic..
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 07:49:23 AM by jman »