https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 663030 times)

Offline harv

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2012, 07:55:48 PM »
I'm quite looking forward to Project CARS, should give both GT and Forza a good run for their money and the options you have during Career Mode will give it plenty of replay value. I'm tempted to invest in it but don't want to be the kiss of death on the game lol :P

Definitely the best looking driving game I've seen to date, and the U SKU should be the prettiest console version. We might also see the U controller being a steering wheel, it's the right shape for the steering wheel of an F1 car :o 8)
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline bealec

« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2012, 08:36:49 PM »
AC 3 confirmed as America late 1700's there's a trailer on YouTube.

Offline harv

« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2012, 09:35:19 PM »
And I was talking about Call of Duty needing to shift to other wars in history not so long ago naming the American Revolution as an example! ;D

Have just finished Revelations and it gets an 8.5/10 from me, best Resident Evil game I've played in years. There's a few design issues that I'm not entirely happy with such as ammo not quite being scarce enough and the Genesis scanner not keeping logs of enemies you've scanned but nothing dealbreaking. A good story, great enemy designs, a new character called Parker who I'm hoping will return in Resident Evil 6 or Revelations 2 and a return to survival horror for the most part with some nice scares along the way.

Took me around 13 hours to complete the single player on Normal difficulty and now I've unlocked Hell difficulty I'll be more than happy to play it again.

RAID mode is also excellent, it wouldn't surprise me if we see it returning in Resident Evil 6, although I'm hoping that they're going to keep Mercenaries as well because I've always enjoyed it.

I'm very tempted to carry on playing Resident Evil games now I'm in the mood for it...Remake is next followed by Zero, 2 and 3. Might also go through the Resident Evil Chronicles franchise too. ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline jman

« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2012, 11:08:52 AM »
Star Ocean is my favourite JRPG series. The Last Hope wasn't the best, but is still a solid game. Prepare yourself for seriously annoying voice-acting if you get into it though!  ;D The awesome battle system trumps turn-based battle.

Not sure about that to be honest... I haven't really thought about it until now.. but I actually think I hate real-time battle systems... all the JRPGs I have.. Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant, Eternal Sonata and now Star Ocean.. I cant see myself ever finishing them.. because I usually find real-time battle systems are way over-complicated and you can usually just spam attacks making battles less strategic... however.. Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon I have both finished which are both turn-based..

FF13 uses its own variant on turn-based.. considering its such a poor game in nearly every aspect... the battle system is one of the finest I've played for a long time... again its another game I've got to the end on.. (stuck on the final boss)

Oddly enough though, I really enjoyed Tales of Symphonia which used a RT battle system... maybe that game just nailed it!!

I'll give Star Ocean a bit more time.. as I've only done the tutorial so far.... I dont mind hammy voice acting.. I bet its not as annoying as Blue Dragons.. that was the worst ever

Offline harv

« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2012, 07:50:14 AM »
Christ on a fucking bike, Nintendo have done some sort of deal with Havok and Autodesk that's giving developers Havok physics and Autodesk's Kynapse, HumanIK and Scaleform for free. That deal must be worth bloody millions. :o

There's also rumours of UE4 running on the U, although I'm more than 24 hours and 19 pages behind the U speculation thread on Gaf...the show floor at GDC opened around 2 hours ago so there must be some sort of leak somewhere during these next 24 hours.

Looks like Nintendo's new philosophy of embracing third parties since before the 3DS launched is paying off, particularly in Japan. Capcom in particular are raking in the cash. Bodes well for the future of the U's third party support, especially now that we know that developers are getting tens of thousands of pounds worth of middleware for free with their dev kits. That's a really big deal. :o

Offline jman

« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2012, 11:17:16 AM »
Well Epic said they cant name the console that UE4 is running on... but have already stated that UE3 will be powering some games on the Wii U... so by that.. I'd say its more likely to be the Durango that is running UE4...  besides.. the Wii U isnt even on the showfloors GDC going by some reports.. only 3DS stuff there....so doubt there will be any reliable leaks

But best (confirmed) news I've heard so far... they are making a sequel to Sim City 4... obviously entitled Sim City 5 !!!  I loved them games... from the screenshots I've seen of it.. it looks pretty funky.. that would be a definite first day purchase for me.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:23:59 AM by jman »

Offline harv

« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2012, 01:37:43 PM »
Yup, anything U related is behind closed doors with strict NDAs in place. How they've managed to keep leaks to such a minimum is bloody astonishing. Although any news of anything major from anyone isn't going to be on display because it's a developer event rather than a press event. :(

Still, that middleware news is bloody huge and unprecedented. I hate to think how much it's cost them. Not going to make a great deal of difference to the big developers but it's going to be a major thing for smaller developers. Major.

Offline jman

« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2012, 09:54:03 PM »
Got a particle engine working in my XBLIG.. its pretty cool... but it severely lags when I get to anywhere near 700-800 particles on screen at any one time... something wrong there then... should be able to have thousands without any drop in FPS.. I know its my code.. its hard-coded crappy and written very sloppily and quickly.. so it works as a concept test..

Offline AVFCRoss

« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2012, 10:36:39 PM »
Sad to see that GAME are having a massive firesale in order to try and "raise funds"....You know you're in trouble when you start selling stuff for less than a quid. Will be a shame to see their demise, they've been my first stop for games for as long as I can remember.

Offline harv

« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2012, 11:17:04 PM »
Sad to see that GAME are having a massive firesale in order to try and "raise funds"....You know you're in trouble when you start selling stuff for less than a quid. Will be a shame to see their demise, they've been my first stop for games for as long as I can remember.

Then you've been paying well over the odds for your games mate. With their ridiculous prices compared to online shopping it's no wonder they're going down the toilet. I've very little sympathy tbh :-\

Offline harv

« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2012, 12:14:53 AM »
Now here's an interesting thing. A tech demo of CryEngine 3 with what looks to be something very similar to the Japanese Garden tech demo from Nintendo. Could be a coincidence, because Nintendo have always used their own graphics engines in the past, but there was a leak a while back that said that Nintendo were trying out a big name engine on the 5th dev kit that hasn't been released to third parties yet. :o

Perhaps it's time that the Mario64 engine (although to be fair it's probably changed so much over the years that there's bugger all sign of it in existence any more) was laid to rest..? :o

Offline jman

« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2012, 09:05:12 AM »
Think im more inclined to agree with harv over the GAME situation...

GAME have been stifling the retail marketplace for the past 2 decades with their high profit margins on everything they sell... you even have to pay for your own loyalty card now for christ sake... I never really understood that.. your pay GAME to give you discounts.. but only if you spend shit-loads with the company.  I still have my free reward card from back before EB took them over lol

Offline Late

« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2012, 11:07:44 AM »
Ruthless company or not, it's not nice to see so many (mainly young) people with their jobs on the line.
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline jman

« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2012, 01:53:24 PM »
Talking about GAME.. I just voted in their stupid award thingy for best game in 2011...

http://www.baftagameaward.com/Voting/Voting.aspx if you want to vote yourself...

...I picked Skyrim naturally.. nothing on that list comes anywhere near it... unless you played Skyrim on the PS3, then you might have a different opinion lol

Offline jman

« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2012, 09:57:10 PM »
Turns out that both my bulletstorm orders with gamestation got cancelled... ordered again and that got cancelled as well...

So just ordered it from GAME instead at same price and accidently added

#99 Crackdown 2

to the basket as well...  ;D

I thought I might aswell get rid of all my reward points aswell seeing as I was there.. so paid less than a fiver for both games.. bargain!