https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 663059 times)

Offline harv

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #960 on: October 19, 2012, 10:46:12 AM »
Yup, that's got it all covered. Doesn't bother me at all though because I wouldn't use it anyway lol. ;D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline ancelotti

« Reply #961 on: October 19, 2012, 01:19:44 PM »
LOL... Im glad even you have agreed that is really retarded... sounds like a design flaw with the pro controller too... not to mention that in-game chat is game specific too... it just sounds like a total shambles... I wouldnt expect much from their online service if I was you...

So just to recap...(copied from kotaku)
■ No universal support for in-game voice chat
■ Game-by-game support for in-game chat
■ The GamePad mic will not, by default, work as an input for in-game voice chat
■ The Wii U will support wired headsets (and possibly mic-enabled headphones), but only through the Wii U GamePad
■ No news yet about whether wireless headsets can or will be supported

Not as if there'll be any decent games to play online anyway, unless they're rolling out another Mario Kart... or maybe another Conduit game! (lol)

Offline jman

« Reply #962 on: October 19, 2012, 02:12:39 PM »
Yup, that's got it all covered. Doesn't bother me at all though because I wouldn't use it anyway lol. ;D

What happens when nintendo reveal the rest of their online infrastructure and you realise its all a pile of old pants though lolol.. gawd.. nintendo are so far behind in the times when it comes to social networking and online interaction this news doesnt actually suprise me.... they could learn some tricks from microsoft in that aspect..

also news of no COD Elite support on the Wii U sku of Black Ops 2 is also now emerging... pieced with no Ultimate Team on Fifa 13.. you have to question as to how good nintendo network is actually going to be..  ??? ... I still cant believe that you are buying those two games specifically on the Wii U lol..

Offline harv

« Reply #963 on: October 19, 2012, 02:53:52 PM »
Black Ops 2 doesn't have Elite at launch, neither does the PC SKU. Doesn't mean that the PC has a crap online infrastructure, does it..? And doesn't that mean paying a years subscription anyway..? The online infrastructure will be fine, Miiverse in particular is going to be huge. If there's any one of the three platform holders that can take on the likes of Facebook and Twitter, it's Nintendo.

Third parties have had a great deal of input into the online infrastructure and I don't think there's been a single developer complaining about it so they must be doing something right.

As for Nintendo's first party titles having online play I can't see it being any use for any of them apart from Mario Kart as you've mentioned...but I'd much prefer the likes of 3D Mario, Metroid and Zelda - the Nintendo IPs I'm most interested in - to be single player experiences anyway.

The only Nintendo game I want to see online play integrated into would be the next Wii Sports. Bowling and Golf would be great having online play. We'll have to wait and see I guess, although Nintendo are really pushing this asymmetric multiplayer so we may not see it.

And FIFA not having Ultimate Team has nothing to do with the online infrastructure and everything to do with the fact that it's a launch title. The pressure involved in releasing a launch title is unbelievable, mainly hampered by a new set of unfamiliar standards (in this case Lot Checks) and the fact that dev kits and SDKs are being changed every five minutes. It's a bloody nightmare, particularly if you're a lead tester. :o

We may see online play integrated with Retro's new game if they're not working on a Metroid game, if Nintendo have any sense they'll be working on a new TPS or FPS IP aimed at the Western market.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline styles

« Reply #964 on: October 19, 2012, 11:59:41 PM »
The conduit lol

That brings back memories. How many units did it sell in the end? #epicfail
Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Work hard, be nice.

Offline harv

« Reply #965 on: October 20, 2012, 02:21:28 AM »
The first one was very successful, the second one was stealth-released for some reason known only to Sega. A very odd couple of decisions made by Sega regarding the last two HVS titles. They completely ruined the gladiator game by turning it from a gritty realistic gladiator game that looked very promising indeed into a non-realistic fantasy gladiator abomination that looked terrible...and then did the same thing that they did with Conduit 2 and stealth-released it. Very odd considering that the made so much money from The Conduit. :-\

The big wigs at so many publishers make all sorts of daft decisions, it's no wonder that the majority of them lose so much money. :o

Ubisoft are a prime example of a publisher doing things right, they're swimming in cash like Scrooge McDuck as it is thanks to some great decision making creating some very marketable IPs across all platforms this gen and they're going to reap the rewards of their strong U support during these next few months...which in turn is going to fund their PS4 and 720 support next year. You'll see ZombiU doing over a million before Christmas, their casual titles will sell an absolute shitload, Rayman Legends should do 500,000-1m units LTD and Assassins Creed 3 should do 500,000 LTD too. And the latter is going to be great for a title that cost €1m to port.

ZombiU and Rayman Legends should do noticeably better than AssassinsCreed 3 because Nintendo will be matching marketing dollars/pounds/euros for those two titles.

Offline ancelotti

« Reply #966 on: October 21, 2012, 03:51:41 PM »
Been getting into XCOM Enemy Unknown recently and am really enjoying it. The first thing that struck me was the difficulty. I'm playing on Normal but it's unforgiving! One mistake and you've lost a soldier. The worst thing is, the way the game is designed makes losing a soldier hard to take, as you get to fully customise them and level them up with new abilities... so as a result, you don't want to lose a single one. Very addictive.

Offline Late

« Reply #967 on: October 21, 2012, 04:27:53 PM »
Really looking forward to that. Was hoping to see it for £30 around launch but it ain't happening. So now I'm torn between clearing some of the backlog or biting the bullet...
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #968 on: October 21, 2012, 05:42:46 PM »
Ah, it seems the Kotaku report was poorly researched (no surprise there tbh), wireless headsets can be used. There's one on the market already in the States, so expect more to appear during the next few months. Means those that want to use the Pro controller can use a headset without being tethered to the GamePad.

Still no cross-game chat though, and it's up to developers of each individual game whether they want to support chat or not. Still, no big deal for me personally as I can't stand chat of any kind whilst playing video games. ;D

Offline jman

« Reply #969 on: October 22, 2012, 07:41:58 AM »
Thats because nobody you know IRL would touch a Wii U in a month of sundays so theres no point you having chat lol *

Finished Assassins Creed Revelations - shouldnt of bothered.. it was crap.. doesnt move the story along in the slightest, theres no improvement on brotherhood and it felt a lot shorter too... still have to go back and finish little bits of it, but wont be in the machine for much longer.

*and because you have no friends!!!

Offline jman

« Reply #970 on: October 22, 2012, 07:49:21 AM »
The conduit lol

That brings back memories. How many units did it sell in the end? #epicfail

lol..

The Conduit - 0.53m units - harv said it would sell at least 1 million  ;D
The Conduit 2 - 0.09m units - lol.  ;D

Offline Late

« Reply #971 on: October 22, 2012, 08:04:16 AM »
Was actually a reasonable game, The Conduit. The single player was okay, but of course it's all about the online multiplayer - and that was besieged by glitchers and hackers all playing in god mode.

I'm quite capable of getting my arse kicked without you being invulnerable, flying, and going through walls, pal...

'grats on 85k gamerscore btw, Kieron.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #972 on: October 22, 2012, 09:27:54 AM »
Was actually a reasonable game, The Conduit. The single player was okay, but of course it's all about the online multiplayer - and that was besieged by glitchers and hackers all playing in god mode.

I'm quite capable of getting my arse kicked without you being invulnerable, flying, and going through walls, pal...

'grats on 85k gamerscore btw, Kieron.

The multiplayer was also excellent until it got hacked to pieces, the most addictive multiplayer I've played since Halo on the PC. Bounty Hunter in particular was excellent, it's not often that you find an original multiplayer mode. Conduit 2 was a great improvement too, fixed all of the issues that the first game had, it's a real shame that Sega sent it out to die. :-\

Offline Late

« Reply #973 on: October 22, 2012, 11:13:05 AM »
Okay, enough's enough. I've been wanting to buy xcom for a while, but can't because I have a backlog of games, and the backlog ain't going down because I'm playing Black Ops. So last night I took the disk out, and put Lost Odyssey into the machine.
The plan is complete Lost Odyssey, then play Darksiders 2, then either buy XCOM and put COD Blops 2 on hold for a week or two, or buy Blops 2 and get XCOM back end of Nov.

It's good to have a solid plan of action, and not keep umming and ahhing about it.

Shame I then blew it by buying another game online just now... ;)
The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings: Enhanced Edition.
£13.99 second hand at Blockbuster, or £8.99 if you join their reward scheme.

Offline jman

« Reply #974 on: October 22, 2012, 11:34:18 AM »
lol... I wish I could recommend The Witcher 2 to you.. but after about 2 weeks of playing it on and off.. I just got distracted and never went back... its more accessible than Dragon Age which is good... far less so than Skyrim though.. theres so much to do in it.. the epilogue alone took me bloody ages to get through!!  Will definitely go back to it.. but its at the wrong end of the backlog at the moment  ;)

My plan of action is to finish off the rest of AC:Rev this week, in-between some Kinect workouts.. afterwards its going to be a mixture of Dirt 3 and Enchanted Arms.. I have the house to myself next sunday, so would be a good point to start Enchanted Arms.. hopefully get them two games out of the way before Halo 4 on Nov 6th.. afterwards.. I doubt I'll be bothering with any other games for a while.. so Dishonored has already been relegated to xmas list material along with Goldeneye Reloaded which I have a real urge to play after watching the film last night.