https://cryptopricetracking.com

Author Topic: Video Games Thread  (Read 663099 times)

Offline Late

Re: Video Games Thread
« Reply #1020 on: November 05, 2012, 02:53:44 PM »
Aye, it's a bloody convoluted place, with switches and moving platforms all over the job. On a couple of occasions I had the wife and kids getting frustrated because they wanted the telly (hang on, I need to save my game... I just can't find/get to a bloody save point!)

Sod 'em. My telly.

________________________________________________________________________________

Got Smartglass on my tablet yesterday. It wouldn't work a week ago, but I bought a new tablet late last week (no, I didn't do that just so I could get smartglass - I've been looking to upgrade for a long while) - so I'm not sure if the app has been tweaked to work on tablets now, or if it's the change in tablet that got it working.

Only had a quick play on it, but it looks canny - in a "this'll be good if/when it's properly integrated into games etc." style.
Setting it up was a doddle, and my avatar came up on the device - though I didn't actually look into the edit options etc on there. I'm guessing there's nothing new and it's basically just a new interface.
Using the android virtual keyboard to type on is a lot faster than using the xbox controller and a virtual keyboard on your telly - but it (currently) doesn't seem fully implemented. It worked on IE, but not on YouTube.
Navigating the dash was easy enough and intuitive (no better or worse than using the controller).

Could be very good if functionality gets built into a few top games (and it's functionality that adds to the game, rather than just being some sort of gimmick), but tbh I'm not sure if it'll get much use here.
I'm guessing the media uses - which look bloody clever - probably just apply to stuff bought on your console (i.e. won't apply to films stored on an external drive) - but I'm not sure about that. And even if it did work for my downloaded film collection I'm not sure that'd be enough to persuade me to use the 360 to watch films instead of using my usual media player - which doesn't have any noisy fans...
Pretend I have a cool signature thing here.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #1021 on: November 05, 2012, 03:15:57 PM »
Has Bioshock Infinite been confirmed for next year now..? I was beginning to think it was vapourware :o :P
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Offline Late

« Reply #1022 on: November 05, 2012, 04:28:09 PM »
Aye, Feb or March - can't remember which.
I know what you mean, though. I think it's over 2 years since they released trailers of the game, with it looking close to completion.
I did, but the host site died and I can't be arsed to find an alternative right now...

Offline harv

« Reply #1023 on: November 05, 2012, 05:02:39 PM »
Yup, personally I'm not going to believe it until I see it on shop shelves lol. Mind you, Alan Wake and Duke Nukem Forever were looking like vapourware for years too so maybe it will get released eventually :P
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Offline Late

« Reply #1024 on: November 06, 2012, 08:03:30 PM »
http://www.dealspwn.com/report-microsoft-developing-7inch-xbox-surface-tablet-120861
Rumour re a gaming tablet from Microsoft.
Doesn't make much sense to me tbh, initial thought.

Offline jman

« Reply #1025 on: November 06, 2012, 08:17:03 PM »
Why did I order the special edition of Halo 4.. bloody postman left a card because it was too big for the letterbox  >:(

Offline harv

« Reply #1026 on: November 07, 2012, 02:09:29 AM »
Official news on Black Ops 2 confirms that the PS3 and 360 SKUs are sub-HD yet again, and that the U SKU is 720p and 60fps. Nice 8)

Offline Late

« Reply #1027 on: November 07, 2012, 04:45:44 AM »
"Official"?
Link to source, please. (Bear in mind that a post by some randomer on iwannabumnintendo.com or neogaf isn't an official announcement.)
tbh I expect ps3 and 360 to be around 600p, as previously, but I don't think it's been officially announced yet.

Rather disappointing if the U isn't full HD. I'd be embarrassed if COD isn't 1080p as standard when the proper next gen consoles come out.

Finished Lost Odyssey.
cba to get the remaining achievements. Would be way too boring to revisit every location yet again, to find the few seeds and items I didn't already collect, and I'm not keen on the "backyard" fight club.
The final lair was a piece of piss, because I'd over-leveled all of my characters to the degree I could win pretty much every battle just by spamming the "A" button to make everyone do standard attacks - irrespective of whether they were fighters or mages.

Offline jman

« Reply #1028 on: November 07, 2012, 07:50:22 AM »
COD games have been using the same graphics engine for the past decade, why does it even need to go full HD... lol... even if the Wii U version was full HD, £20 less and had more features, it would still sell the least... its going to be the worst version because of nintendo's half cooked online implementation

I see Xbox Live was having problems last night.. can only imagine it was the amount of people online playing the new halo... half day today so I'll go and pick mine up at lunch and blast through for a few hours  ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #1029 on: November 07, 2012, 11:57:11 AM »
We don't know a great deal about Nintendo's online implementation. Developer response to it has been overwhelmingly positive so far. There was a Japanese Nintendo Direct 45 minutes ago about Miiverse, might have to check to see if there's been a translation of some sort later.

As far as Black Ops 2 is concerned the only thing missing is Elite at launch but I'm expecting that to be added via a patch post-launch.

And good luck with 1080p native PS4 and 720 titles at launch, you may see some first and second party titles in 1080p but the majority will be 720p.

Offline Late

« Reply #1030 on: November 07, 2012, 03:56:18 PM »
No link to the official source then?

MS Rewards for playing ridiculous amounts of Halo 4.

Offline harv

« Reply #1031 on: November 07, 2012, 07:05:19 PM »
Nope, was a thread on Gaf. Looked like an official thing due to the quality of the images displaying info. :(

It should be 720p and 60fps though, making it the superior SKU in terms of eye candy. ;D

Offline Late

« Reply #1032 on: November 08, 2012, 01:21:12 AM »
Because an official release from Treyarch would announce "sub-hd graphics"... rolleyes

Likely 50/60 fps on all 3 consoles.
Better than SD graphics on all 3 consoles.
Nowhere near full HD graphics on any console.
Timed exclusives on 360.
Gimmicky touchscreen controls on U.
Release 3 weeks earlier on 360 and ps3 than U.

I'd like 720p graphics, definitely - but if someone gave me a free Wii U I'd still be buying the 360 version of the game rather than the U version - without a shadow of a doubt.
The online will be infinitely superior, and that's the most important thing with COD. Normal controls, earlier release, earlier DLC, and balanced local multiplayer are nice bonuses.
All the U offers is a fractional increase in graphics quality (around 20%, I believe. Likely around 20% more rows, and I believe comparable columns, but I'm not sure about that). Would be nice, but not worth giving everything else up for...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 09:41:10 AM by Late »

Offline jman

« Reply #1033 on: November 08, 2012, 07:46:13 AM »
Did manage about an hour or so on Halo 4.. so hard to judge on it so far... but I think its brilliant in what I've played... no complaints at all... the graphics are pretty much everything you could ask for, the gameplay is familiar yet different and the plot already has me drawn in... cant wait to play some more... unfortunately my stupid social life is gonna get in the way for most of the weekend but I should be able to get a few more hours in today and maybe tomorrow...  ;D

Offline harv

« Reply #1034 on: November 08, 2012, 01:36:08 PM »
Lol, there was only a fractional difference in quality between Call of Duty on the Wii and the PS3/360 too according to how you're working these things out and we all know how you feel about that. Visually there's going to be a big difference between the U SKU and PS3/360 SKUs as there was between the Wii and PS3/360 SKUs before it.

And the gameplay is familiar yet different in Halo 4 because you're effectively playing Halo Prime 4 lol :P